Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 9:40:18 PM EDT
After the ban ended I did a reasonably good job of purchasing what I wanted. Stocked up on firearms, mags, and associated sundry stuff. Enjoyed looking for deals and did all right too.

Today at a show, while I had fun chatting and did buy a few small items, I realized I just was not interested in buying much of anything. I spent very little and walked out with about 95% of what I brought with me. Some of the price changes were interesting to see, there were some cool guns there, but I just was not really interested in the vast majority of them. Usually I enjoy looking at the stuff even if I'm not planning on ever buying that certain model.

Guess I just have buyers burnout, and would rather bank the money for now.

Only thing I really WANT is the 9mm Mags for my ARs that are still in the process of being made by one of the vendors here.

Anyone else just burned out right now on firearm related purchases?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]
WITCH!!!  WITCH!!!!  BURN HIM!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:42:45 PM EDT
[#2]
You could send all the stuff you're tired of to me.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
HE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I think you just bought your one way ticket to gun hell.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:47:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
HE TURNED ME INTO A NEWT!!!!!

I GOT BETTER!

ahahahha I love that movie
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds to me like you just need to branch out - handload yet?

Actually, I haven't 'searched' for a new firearm for quite a bit.  Have pretty much all the bases covered as well as parts/mags.  Grab a few new items here and there, a couple of mags - but no big purchases just yet.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:48:09 PM EDT
[#8]
You my friend need a 20mm anti tank weapon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:49:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Spend more time shooting and less time buying..
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:49:53 PM EDT
[#10]
It happens.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
God damn do I wish I had the money to reach a state of firearm equilibrium.

*sigh*
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
WITCH!!!  WITCH!!!!  BURN HIM!!!

Yeah yeah, I looked at the snowblower gas can when I got back home.......usually I am hauling several loads into the house. Today, coupla ammo cans and a miserly handful of stuff.

No guns, no ammo, no AR stuff, no mags save for a CCW one, can't remember the last time that happened.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:53:20 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+ a lot, "gun stuff" isn't about what you have or are going to buy, it's about how much fun you have using it.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I still have about 25 Uzi mags to mill out to fit my Colt 9mm after that I really dont need much anymore except more ammo. At the last gun show here I didn't spend any cash at all

What do you have to mill out? The maglock hole?
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:55:46 PM EDT
[#15]
You're turning gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just sayin'....
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:56:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
After the ban ended I did a reasonably good job of purchasing what I wanted. Stocked up on firearms, mags, and associated sundry stuff. Enjoyed looking for deals and did all right too.

Today at a show, while I had fun chatting and did buy a few small items, I realized I just was not interested in buying much of anything. I spent very little and walked out with about 95% of what I brought with me. Some of the price changes were interesting to see, there were some cool guns there, but I just was not really interested in the vast majority of them. Usually I enjoy looking at the stuff even if I'm not planning on ever buying that certain model.

Guess I just have buyers burnout, and would rather bank the money for now.

Only thing I really WANT is the 9mm Mags for my ARs that are still in the process of being made by one of the vendors here.

Anyone else just burned out right now on firearm related purchases?

Yep.

I think I might be after a Smith J-frame Airweight or Airlight for CCW and maybe a PF red dot for my superlight but other than that nothing even on the radar.

Well, I'd like the EOTech magnifier when it comes out.  And I guess I want an Oasis or some other integral suppressed upper for a Ruger pistol.  Well, I'd like a threaded 22 can too for other guns.  And I'd kind of like to get a HALO for my ARs.

Hmm...
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Shoot more, maybe get into competing.
You'll find that far more fulfilling.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#19]
no your not the only one, ive been burned out for a while.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:00:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ a lot, "gun stuff" isn't about what you have or are going to buy, it's about how much fun you have using it.

I usually shoot plenty and enjoy it, Have not lately because it's been either cold as heck or I'm on call for work. [or both] I can walk out in the backyard and shoot pistol calibers, I don't shoot rifle stuff calibers much here out of consideration for the neighbors. I go to the range for that.

Maybe it's just the winter Blahs, but it could be a Tuuuumah also.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:03:05 PM EDT
[#21]
As noted before: shoot more.  

Since I get bogged down with college related stuff, my gun generally takes a back seat.  Once I get out to the range though I remember how much fun it is and remember the importance of taking a break.  If you get bored on the range change things up.  I have an array of targets right now; clay pigeons, assorted paper targets, different sized jugs, phone books, plastic Easter eggs, etc.  Helps keep things different.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:03:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I usually shoot plenty and enjoy it, Have not lately because it's been either cold as heck or I'm on call for work. [or both] I can walk out in the backyard and shoot pistol calibers, I don't shoot rifle stuff calibers much here out of consideration for the neighbors. I go to the range for that.

Sounds like someone needs to buy some cans.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:05:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Perhaps you need another hobby ,I like to fish almost as much as shoot.
Always in the spring that is my first thing I do.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:14:08 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd LOVE to but illegal here in MI.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#26]
In my case, I wouldn't call it burnout, but more like boredom. This has happened before.

My cure, by something different, a cal you don't have, a new gun, optic etc., just make sure it is unique.

When I've done this, I find that I want to take my new purchase out for a range session, which always makes me open the safe. I usually find something I haven't shot in awhile. This gets the ball rolling, and next thing you know, you find out your old stuff is new again.

This usually ends  up in another project, and there you have it. You will find the will to spend money again, and have an excuse to go to the range more often.

It's good therapy.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:15:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Seek help, find a support group, these types of problems seem to fester and ruin lives.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:16:51 PM EDT
[#28]
I am with you there fxntime. I have over 25 guns. Like I can ever wear out over 25 guns. And after my inventory, I made an astonishing discovery. I have enough centerfire rifle cartridges and components to fire 500 rds a month for just a shade over 9 years. That doesn't include .22LR, 9mm, or 45ACP ammo.

I have not  even bothered to go to the last couple of gunshows here. That is sort of like Dracula not biting Kate Beckinsale's neck.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:19:40 PM EDT
[#29]
There are a lot of people (I'd say a strong majority of people) who go through phases where their hobbies are of less interest to them than they once were.   And at some point in the future,  they'll regain their strong interest, too.

It certainly happens to me.    I could name a pretty respectable number of hobbies that I've picked up over the years,  learned a lot about, and later stopped pursuing them or at least slowed down a lot.

I don't shoot or reload as often as I used to.   But I'll get back to it, for sure.    I build guitars in cycles.  Sometimes I'm not interested in doing any work on them but other times
it's the only thing I want to be doing.     I spent a few years buying, refurbishing, and reselling very expensive video projectors from government surplus and selling them into the home theater market.    I made my money and got out,  but in the process I got my own projector which is a top model,  one of the finest video projectors ever made.      I'm an on-again, off-again amateur radio operator.   (Currently in "on" mode and this is a recent change.)  I do electronic hobby work,  sometimes more than others.   Right now
I'm accumulating equipment and selling most of it for income and keeping a few items
for my own test lab.    The day may come when I lose interest and sell it all.  

I've got 1200 comic books in a closet.    Right now they're not worth selling on ebay, hardly.   Maybe in 20 years....

Most people have varying interest levels in their hobbies over time,  I think.  It's normal.

Especially if you get really heavily into it for a short time.   You tend to burn out on it and need to recharge.

CJ
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:20:30 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Fish, hunt, shoot, tinker on greasy bits and vehicles, veggie garden, I get the boat out [just a little 25 HP Sea Nymph] a couple weeks before bass season opens and hit about 20 lakes in the area. Don't ice fish and don't have any inclination to do so, it sucks dragging the boat out on the ice every time.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:23:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:25:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 10:30:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Start reloading your own.  If that gets boring, start Gun Smithing , that never gets old.

Find a Civil War rifle and rebuild it.

Learn to make wood furniture for you rifles.

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 11:45:57 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
no your not the only one, ive been burned out for a while.

It happens, I stayed that way for a few years just maintaining my hunting guns then I  got back into AKs, then building AKs, ARs, building ARs you get the picture. Perhaps one more AR to go then I am getting back into my first love, shooting black powder Civil War era weapons. It was the only thing I enjoyed competing in.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:34:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Chalk it up to mid winter blahs.  Longer days & warmer temps are just a couple weeks away.

check your mail box
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:47:13 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fish, hunt, shoot, tinker on greasy bits and vehicles, veggie garden, I get the boat out [just a little 25 HP Sea Nymph] a couple weeks before bass season opens and hit about 20 lakes in the area. Don't ice fish and don't have any inclination to do so, it sucks dragging the boat out on the ice every time.

It`s just the winter.You`ll be back in action once spring hits.:)
I`m glad i picked up alil something to tide me over till then
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 2:54:57 AM EDT
[#37]
You need to go shooting not shopping.  Take a class or just go to the range.  Enjoy what you have.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:11:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Ammo ... it's a journey without end.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:15:27 AM EDT
[#39]
nah, thats just temporary zumbo your feeling.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 3:20:09 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Give it a month or two.... we'll see.
Link Posted: 2/25/2007 8:04:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Losing interest in your hobbies can also be a sign of depression... there's a lot more to a diagnosis, of course, but I'm just sayin'.

Might just be a touch of Seasonal Affective Disorder, as previous posters have suggested.  Rx: Spend one hour/day under bright lights until you feel the need to buy a new AR or at least a new ACOG.  Repeat as necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top