Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2007 4:23:38 AM EDT
Last night while driving home with the wife and kid, I came to a intersection near my house. It was a green light and no one was moving. I change lanes and get a little closer. I see something laying in the road. I turn down the radio and try to listen to whats going on. Then I start to hear scream. A few people get out of their cars and run over to the boy laying in the street. This boy had just been hit by a car, and I mean just hit. No one had even gotten our of their cars when I had gotten there. I get out of my car to give some blankets to the people that are trying to help him. They asked for a pillow or something to help support his leg so I offered 2 blankets I have in the back of my car. I run up to the accident and can see the boys leg is broken. No bone sticking out of his leg or anything but I can see that it is broken in half. He kept trying to get up and people were trying to hold him down. I grabbed his broken leg aboive the break and started to hold it still as best as possible. But since he was fighting me he kept moving it around. The whole time I could feel the 2 peices of bone moving around, seperatly. There was 2 small puncture wounds on his leg that were bleeding. I was trying to make sure blood didnt get on me since I didnt have any kind of gloves. Finally police came but they didnt take over holding him down. Finally paramedics got there and tool over for me. I told the cop I didnt want the blankets anymore and got in ,y car and drove away.

The whole night I kept thinking of the way the bones felt. Even now as I type this it grosses me out. Anyone that has been through worse now has my complete understanding.

ETA: the kid got hit because he ran through the middle of a busy intersection. He got hit hard enough to knock his shoe off.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Finally police came but they didnt take over holding him down. Finally paramedics got there and tool over for me. I told the cop I didnt want the blankets anymore and got in ,y car and drove away.

They already saw that you were doing a good job.  They needed to secure the scene, call for an ambulance, direct traffic, etc.

You did good.  Most people would have just left the kid flopping around which could lead to more injury to the leg.
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:35:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Poor kid  

The reason he couldn't stop twitching is because of the nerves being knicked inside the leg.  The bones grate against the swollen nerve, and the body jerks, which irates the nerve again, so it "twangs" again, so you thrash again.

When I splintered mine, it took 3 friends and 2 medics to hold me down enough for them to get my boot off because my whole body was twitching like I was on crack.  I couldn't control it at all.

I know EXACTLY how that poor kid feels.  Hopefully his heals better than mine:

Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:40:06 AM EDT
[#3]
You are a good person for stopping and assisting.
A lot of folks would have driven around the scene and continued along their way.

Drinking doesnt clear the images...it just buries them, and they will just be uncovered some time in the future. Reality sucks...and there are times (like your experience last night) that grabbing for that drink will smooth out the emotion.....trust me, it only helps for a few hours. If anything, it simply delays your reaction to what you experience. The only way to avoid those feelings is to not participate in reality.

Life is hard...just got a reminder of that at the accident scene.
Your actions say a lot about the type of person you are.
Do yourself a favor - stay clear and deal with the situation as it occurred, not the way alcohol will twist the image.

(my thoughts, from a former 'drink to forget' guy)
Link Posted: 2/24/2007 4:46:02 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Finally police came but they didnt take over holding him down. Finally paramedics got there and tool over for me. I told the cop I didnt want the blankets anymore and got in ,y car and drove away.

They already saw that you were doing a good job.  They needed to secure the scene, call for an ambulance, direct traffic, etc.

You did good.  Most people would have just left the kid flopping around which could lead to more injury to the leg.

It's true.  We just had a first aid class with some EMTs.  They said if they roll up and someone already appears to be helping and doing something right, they go straight to doing something else, helping someone else, etc.. instead of taking over.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top