Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2001 12:47:15 PM EDT
I have some basic experience with the colt M16 and AR15 given by the military.  My question is I am going to purchase one for myself and the gun shop where I shoot has several in various states of modification. what should I look for what should I stay away from or modify myself.  How can I tell if it has the limitaion for the magazine. any help would be great.
Dan
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Hell, check out ours to see if your dealer can offer you the same pricing we can...

[url]www.castle-arms.com[/url]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Well just browse the forums here and you can learn just about anything.  Also I take my hat off to these guys, when I first found this site I asked alot of newbie questions and everyone of them recieved serveral responses.  
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:20:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I am very happy with my Bushmaster

Bushmaster has great customer service too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 1:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Get what you want for the best price.  I have had Bushmaster which I loved, I also have had Colt, and Olympic Arms (95 vintage not the plinker of today) And there was no major diference between any of them fireing wise.  I now have a bushmaster upper on a Esential Arms lower and it works like a charm.  Rock River, DPMS, PWA, etc. get what you want and check around on prices.  It is easy to over pay.  Dont rule out used either.  Good luck....
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#6]
You'll be hard pressed to beat Anti's offer.  I would stick with something manufactured and assembled by a reputable firm for your first one.  Then check out the mods you want and hop over to build it yourself for help in getting them bolted on.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Stay away from Colt.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]
colt car 6724. can't go wrong. looks good and is super accurate. add on a jewell trigger.
[sniper]

Quoted:
I have some basic experience with the colt M16 and AR15 given by the military.  My question is I am going to purchase one for myself and the gun shop where I shoot has several in various states of modification. what should I look for what should I stay away from or modify myself.  How can I tell if it has the limitaion for the magazine. any help would be great.
Dan
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 5:43:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Pre-ban Colts are very good. Among the best ARs.

Post ban Colts suck so bad I get sick just thinking of them.

[puke]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:07:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Remember that a Chrome moly barrel IS NOT a Chrome Lined barrel.Some of the manufacturers tend to make people think there is no difference.Good Luck and happy shopping
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:16:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Stay away from Calvery Arms!
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:34:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Stick with the big three: ABC.

Armalite
Bushmaster
Colt

I think Bush makes the most, ArmaLite makes the best for a few bucks more, and Colt is sort of there somewhere.

The rest are assembly houses buying parts here and there.  Baer may be an exception but doesn't make many.
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#14]
how do i know if the weapon is a preban or not? This refers to the size of the magazine it will accept, correct?
Dan
Link Posted: 9/22/2001 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#15]
The ONLY way to know if it's pre-ban is to check the serial number. If someone is selling a "pre-ban" ask if they have the original sales slip, and if not, get in touch with the manufacturer and get the serno checked.
If it is a pre-ban, the features can be almost limitless. But the MOST important thing is to verify the seno.
Common features of a pre-ban are bayonet lug, birdcage flash suppressor, and if it is in a CAR set up, a collapsable stock.

[smoke]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top