Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2007 5:39:51 PM EDT
All tank pics that I've seen have this big lump on the barrel about halfway out. What does it do?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:41:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Fume extractor, it draws the fumes in the barrel away from the breech so they don't go into the fighting compartment.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
It's a bore evacuator for removing the remaining propellant gasses.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Its the gas block, the 120mm on an Abrams is modeled directly after an AR-15.

Look closely and you can see the BUIS mounted to it.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:43:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Yeah, that's it!  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:43:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:44:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I think that you are talking about the bore evacuator.
It stops propellant gasses from firing from venting back inside when the breach is opened to reload.

ETA, WW everyone is fast.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:33:57 PM EDT
[#7]
You guys got it all wrong.  It's a useless appendage with the sole purpose of putting something on the barrel to challenge the skill of model makers.  Can't turn it on the lathe, can you?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:52:02 PM EDT
[#8]
It's a TUMAH.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Fume extractor, it draws the fumes in the barrel away from the breech so they don't go into the fighting compartment.

Is this thing powered somehow?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:55:22 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a TUMAH.

IT'S NOT A TUMAH!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is this thing powered somehow?

I would assume they're operated on pressure, by the action of firing the round....
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
All tank pics that I've seen have this big lump on the barrel about halfway out. What does it do?

It's the bayonet lug of course.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Yeah, you didn't think the gun is recoil operated,  do you?  

No,  it's gas operated.  Guess who gets to clean the gas piston after a day at the range?  

CJ
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#14]
The "lump" is a fiberglass shroud that covers several venturi(holes) in the barrel. When the projectile passes the venturi, the air inside the shroud is drawn into the barrel after the projectile and out the muzzle, sucking all the propellant gases after it.

Or it could be a tumah...
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:23:58 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The "lump" is a fiberglass shroud that covers several venturi(holes) in the barrel. When the projectile passes the venturi, the air inside the shroud is drawn into the barrel after the projectile and out the muzzle, sucking all the propellant gases after it.

What he said, more or less. The venturi are angled forward so that the 'draft' goes the right way. At the same time, the breech opens, allowing a full passage of air out the length of the tube. The fume extractor resevoir is pressurised by the same propellant gasses that send the projectile going forwards.When the projectile is gone out the tube, it leaves a path for the high-pressure-air in the resevoir to escape, forward, dragging the gasses out with it.

Not all tanks have them: French tanks, for example, use a system of compressed air to blow gasses out the end of the gun.

NTM
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Now, on the M1 Abrams, what's the appendage on the END of the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:31:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

that would be the MRS (muzzle reference sensor) which is used during boresighting procedures
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:31:18 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#19]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bore_evacuator

As the shell passes through, an opening into the bore takes in the gases, containing them until the shell has exited, then releases them back into the barrel. The openings are angled toward the muzzle, so the stream of still fairly high pressure gas drags both combustion gas in the barrel and fresh air from the open breech toward the muzzle.

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:00:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a TUMAH.

IT'S NOT A TUMAH!

I don't know why . . . that gets me rolling every time!  

E-95
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:09:24 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What he said, more or less. The venturi are angled forward so that the 'draft' goes the right way. At the same time, the breech opens, allowing a full passage of air out the length of the tube. The fume extractor resevoir is pressurised by the same propellant gasses that send the projectile going forwards.When the projectile is gone out the tube, it leaves a path for the high-pressure-air in the resevoir to escape, forward, dragging the gasses out with it.

Not all tanks have them: French tanks, for example, use a system of compressed air to blow gasses out the end of the gun.

NTM

Also its a great place to put your tanks name, you know something macho like "Slayer" or "Terminator" or "Barely Legal".

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
You guys got it all wrong.  It's a useless appendage with the sole purpose of putting something on the barrel to challenge the skill of model makers.  Can't turn it on the lathe, can you?

If ya got a 4 jaw chuck you can.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 10:53:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

that would be the MRS (muzzle reference sensor) which is used during boresighting procedures

Close enuf (I guess). I have been told that it is part of a laser-based system which tells the aiming computer how much the barrel has warped due to heating. Or due to Democratic b.s. in the vicinity.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Close enuf (I guess). I have been told that it is part of a laser-based system which tells the aiming computer how much the barrel has warped due to heating. Or due to Democratic b.s. in the vicinity.

Buhawahaw!!!!

Ok.. there is a switch that you flip on the GPS (gunners Primary Sight) you then see the MRS in the optics. you then align the sight to the barrel. It works just like a boresighter that you use on your rifle. but the one on the tank its tritium filled so it glows.

Fat (ex M1A1 mech) McNasty.

I really miss working on them..
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:56:03 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
It's a TUMAH.

IT'S NOT A TUMAH!

It's not, at all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:59:54 AM EDT
[#26]
so.. to change the subject. was watching this future weapon thing last night. and they had this thing could fire 4000 40mm grenades in 1 second.... and this design could be used for any type of round..

so when is metal storm gonna produce a abrams tank barrel with munitions that can fire 100 of those depleted uranium dart sabots in a tenth of a second?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:04:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
so.. to change the subject. was watching this future weapon thing last night. and they had this thing could fire 4000 40mm grenades in 1 second.... and this design could be used for any type of round..

so when is metal storm gonna produce a abrams tank barrel with munitions that can fire 100 of those depleted uranium dart sabots in a tenth of a second?

How are you going to change the barrel?

Right now it take a crane.. Also you dont want to make a CDAT think.. Things go south very quickly when they do..
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:10:18 AM EDT
[#28]
It's ribbed for her pleasure
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:26:06 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
How are you going to change the barrel?

Yeah, reloading will be a bummer. Just doing 40 rounds is annoying as hell, let alone 4,000. Not to mention, where are you going to put them all? I don't think I want to know the size of the trailer that the tank is going to have to pull around with it.

Finally, recoil will be a bitch. A single round makes the 70-ton-tank jump, what would 4,000 do to it? (I don't want to be in the tank to find out)

NTM
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:31:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
It's ribbed for her pleasure

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:33:13 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bore_evacuator

As the shell passes through, an opening into the bore takes in the gases, containing them until the shell has exited, then releases them back into the barrel. The openings are angled toward the muzzle, so the stream of still fairly high pressure gas drags both combustion gas in the barrel and fresh air from the open breech toward the muzzle.

www.steelbeasts.com/Graphics/Bore%20evacuator.gif

And HERE my friends, we have a man who does his homework!~  Well done!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top