Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2001 6:26:45 AM EDT
I have noticed that I have not seen any BARs in the series, were they not issued to airborne units due to weight considerations.  Can someone with a little more knowledge enlighten us?
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I saw one in the scene where they were running up the hill at Curahee in the opening few minutes.  That was the last I saw of it.

I read the book a few weeks ago, and I didn't see anything about BARs that I can remember.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 7:13:25 AM EDT
[#2]
  I read in Don Burgett's book "Currahee"(sic)
That the 506th didn't issue BARs.  In Steven Ambrose's book it showed pics of the guys with M1919A6s (with the stock) in the TV show they had the MGs without stocks.
   Oh well,  it was a neat show
Link Posted: 9/18/2001 10:55:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Remember, the .30cal BAR was designed as a 'trench gun' to move with the infantry, providing automatic weapons support.  The damn thing weighed about 20lbs empty.  I shot one once way back when...very effective weapon but heavy and an ammo hog.
I don't think the paras carried them due to weight.  Instead, I think you will see they used a lot more M1 carbines w/folding stocks, M3 .45cal 'grease' guns, and lots of .45cal Thompsons...in addition of course to the Garands and .30cal BMGs.
Light fighters...not all that heavily armed...just like today.
[heavy]
Link Posted: 11/2/2001 5:00:15 PM EDT
[#4]
just ran this by my father who carried a b.a.r. in the 101st..between korea and nam, saw no active war time. he said they had a device that clipped on a harness and the rifle hung down about 15' so it wouldn't kill you when you landed, it was in a pretty durable case/bag. he is a pretty big guy , but says he couldn't walk forward with that thing on auto.
pat
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top