Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/17/2001 7:03:05 AM EDT
Does anyone have an experience with either the S&W 342 or 342PD?  I need pros & cons.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 11:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Recoil and muzzle flip with factory 38spl ammo is fairly stiff, but not unmanageable.  Real light, if you are going to conceal carry.  Accuracy is only so-so at 25 feet, but then it is not meant for target shooting.  I haven't tried +Ps.  You could save yourself some money by buying a S&W442(15oz) same frame but it has a steel cylinder, where as the 342s(12oz) has a titanium one.

USA! USA! USA!
Link Posted: 9/17/2001 12:44:56 PM EDT
[#2]
The biggest problem with the 342 is the cost.  

While I don’t consider it a problem, the 342 is limited to jacketed rounds.

Recoil in the 342 with +P ammo is pretty severe – it flips so badly the inside of the triggerguard comes up and whacks your trigger finger.  This shouldn’t be a problem in a gunfight unless you develop a severe flinch or the gun jumps out of your hand.

The triggerpull is a bit heavy.  Accuracy doesn’t seem very good but it’s not designed for accuracy.

The 342 is meant to be carried a lot and shot a little.  To that end it is perfect.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top