Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2001 1:18:28 PM EDT
I just read that the taliban said that they will vow revenge if the U.S. attacks them for harboring bin laden.

Do they not know how many people they pissed off right now by harboring bin laden he is wanted in almost every country right now.

I don't think this is going to be an easy fight  and never underestimate your enemy. We learned this from NAM we thought that was also going to be a walk in the park war.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:23:49 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess it depends on how we handle it. We need to pick our engagements wisely. A wholesale war is probably not necessary, although it could escalate.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:26:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, we've already got Air Superiority.  They used all the Stinger missiles we gave them on the Russians.  I don't think we'll need to put a major force on the ground.  This will be a Spec Op war.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:35:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Well, we've already got Air Superiority.  They used all the Stinger missiles we gave them on the Russians.  I don't think we'll need to put a major force on the ground.  This will be a Spec Op war.  
View Quote

They do have people that support them we don't know what they have or what friends they have yet.

What worries me is the revenge part what the hell are they going to do and you know it's going to happen in the U.S. so what will be there target. If you people did not know this but I was told this when I took a Haz-mat class there are a lot of places where they have left over gases from WWI,WWII,NAM and these places are out in the open and no guarded by military.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
[size=2]Bring it on Muthaf*ckers !!![/size=2]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#5]
If you people did not know this but I was told this when I took a Haz-mat class there are a lot of places where they have left over gases from WWI,WWII,NAM and these places are out in the open and no guarded by military.
View Quote

You are correct, however, I don't think the Afghans have the capability to deliver chemicals in sufficient quantities to the U.S.  Biological is another story.  A little goes a long way and can be delivered by a variety of methods.  If my memory is correct one ounce of anthrax can contaminate 250,000 gallons of water.  Also, chemicals are much easier to detect and defend against than bio.  Timothy Leary's plan to put LSD in D.C's (?) water system is nothing compared to this stuff.  I believe any nation-state that uses chem/bio against us will become a vey large parking lot.   Hopefully, neither will happen, but we cannot allow fear of what they [i]might[/i] do keep us from punishing every last one involved.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you people did not know this but I was told this when I took a Haz-mat class there are a lot of places where they have left over gases from WWI,WWII,NAM and these places are out in the open and no guarded by military.
View Quote

Yeah, I'm sure those instructors have never been known to dramatize anything. I seriously doubt there are stockpiles of mustard gas or nerve agents just laying around ungaurded. I sometimes wonder how tight the security is at the Umatilla Army Depot in northest Oregon where they do have massive amounts of chemical weapons, but it certainly is not unguarded or accessible to the public.

I think a more likely target for terrorists would be a train carrying hazardous material being derailed and detonated in densely populated area. Most people have no idea what is rolling through their backyards day in and day out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
 This will be a Spec Op war.  
View Quote

What a fine day to be a Spec Ops Warrior! [;)]

Actually, our response should be the unannounced elimination of the capitols of such countries as syria, afganastan, iran, iraq, and sudan. The following morning a simple statement such as "The US will not tolerate terrorism" would quickly get the point across. I bet they could find the resources to police their own afterward. This course of action would not only avenge Tuesday's events but also terrorist actions of the past 20 years that we've done nothing about.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:09:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:24:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The Taliban are vulnerable to internal forces within Afghanistan. We should just support those entities with material and let the different factions kill each other.
View Quote

No, NO NO [red]NO[/red]!!!!!! Every time we fiddle in a conflict like that it bites us in the arse later.

We put the dictators in charge of Nicaruaga and El Salvador during the early 1900's.

We put the Shah in Iran in the 50's

We supported Iraq during their war with Iran.

We supported S. Vietnam after fiddling with thier government.

Look if the US decides the Taliban or others need to be killed we should do it ourselves.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:25:07 PM EDT
[#10]
First Rule...........Never under estimate the people you are playing the game with.  They kicked the Russians out, the Russian's version of Vietnam.  I think that we will have no problems as long as we remember not to get in a protracted ground melee with them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#11]
What OLY-M4gery said.........
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:29:56 PM EDT
[#12]
It appears to me the the hit dog always yelps first.

If the Talaban Govt. is trying to scare us with threats of revenge in the form of terrorism then it seems to me as though we have found our target.............huh?

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#13]
If they use bio warfare then I think we will reply with nuclear force. I think it will be justified and will have the support from everyone in every country.

This... scares me.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#14]
This is only a threat from the Taliban military not the Afghanistan military.

What was said about the hit dog always yelps first. I don't think it's the taliban that are hiding bin laden. I think it is the Afghanistan that are hiding him from us. They have not said anything that I know right now as a threat.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:51:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This is only a threat from the Taliban military not the Afghanistan military.

What was said about the hit dog always yelps first. I don't think it's the taliban that are hiding bin laden. I think it is the Afghanistan that are hiding him from us. They have not said anything that I know right now as a threat.
View Quote

They have said he is a "guest" of the Taliban. He may be the C-in-C of their military forces. They have harbored him and are making excuses for him. Taliban rule Afghanistan, they seem to be complicit, providing Bin Laden with a safe base to work from.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Be realistic though guys.

This has the potential to be a whole lot more involved than some are letting on.

This is big...........and like Frank above......it scares me as well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:55:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I guess it depends on how we handle it. We need to pick our engagements wisely. A wholesale war is probably not necessary, although it could escalate.
View Quote

I think one of the lessons we learned form VN was that it is either "wholesale war" or it is  a disaster.  You either utilize all of your strength or you don't do anything at all.  I hope we do the former.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top