Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2001 9:38:54 AM EDT
Sorry if this has been covered in another thread.
Many of you have waaaaay more experience then I do.

All I have is a .45 and an AR, that's all. [:D]
Ok, enough levity.

My concerns are additional strikes in America and opportunists starting riots and looting. Remember L.A.? PHAT Tuesday in Philly (even though not as bad, though potential is there). Not terr's making amphib assaults up the Delaware and taking over Jim's Steak Shop in Philly which I would definitely mobilize for. Good steaks there.

How does a reasonable person who remains calm, go about preparedness. I have some things but want to read your thoughts about it. The most experince I have is 17 years as an EMT, 15 of those have been very active. I'm a hunter. And I have a brain. Thats about it.
Just need to be pointed in the right direction.
Thanks,
Allen

Do I sound like a newbie or what? Hope not.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#1]
I would like some EMT classes.

I believe there are possible cells here that have plans for both car and human bombings.

There should be more helping and bandaging and less shooting.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Have some extra food, water, stabilized gasoline, ammo, source of heat/light, cash.

For preparations, the sky is the limit.  Depends on the likelihood of what you think you will run into, and what you can afford to do.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:47:46 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got the food, ammo and guns covered. I am looking at selling some of my stocks to pay off my house and 3 cars leaving my wife debt free so I can join up in this fight if necessary.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think many of us have experience in this type of situation. Personally I don't think this will be a shooting war, especially on our own soil, so standard military preparation, while always useful, won't be especially helpful. My call is just to use common sense, and be aware of your situation at all times. When you walk into a new environment, take a few minutes of "what if" time. Be prpared to protect the innocents. And, as always, lock 'n load.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:01:21 AM EDT
[#6]
You should not be making any preparations, they should have been done already!
I think it is a mistake to be reactive, it may be too late. Anybody on this site should have certain minimum precautions in place at all times. These would include at least one firearm suitable to your location ( a FAL would be a poor choice for a city apartment, too much penetration) a two week reserve of food and water and sleeping bags, sturdy shoes, work gloves, etc...
Think about what you need in advance and you will feel much less anxiety when natural or manmade disasters happen.
There are many excellent preparedness sites on the web that can offer pages and pages of advice, just remember to filter it through your greatest weapon, your brain.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
The American Red Cross site gave excellent suggestions for prepping for the Y2K thing (basically the same thing as their Hurricane prep). Don't have the link handy but should be easy enough to find.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:09:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Everybody I know that has been laughing and calling me "PARANOID" although I only consider myself prepared, has been calling me and asking what to do now, funny isn't it, well there not laughing and calling me names now.

Things to think about:
1.) Civil Chaos, Posibility of closed cell terrorist groups still in the U.S. attacking on a small scale bases to disrupt normal life, and harrass. (Guerilla Warfare)

2.) Chance of a small nuclear or biological weapon being used, contaminating water and food supplies, as we know this is a different enemy.

Call me Paranoid or an alarmist, but these things should be considered.

Supplies:
Plenty of food and water
Weapons
minimum of at least 1000 rnd's per weapon
NBC Equipment, Gas mask, chem siut, decon kit, detection kits, antropine, potassium nitrate tabs,etc...
Medical supplies, alcohol, peroxide, bandages, antiseptics,suture kits, dental first aid kits, etc... recommended book - Green Beret Medical Manual.
Then of course your average combat equipt, and a pre arranged safe haven for your family and friends.

In the event that this internal chaos should come about, remember that home is not a good place to be, headout to rural areas and dig in.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm already ready already.[):)]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:34:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Well wouldn't you know it, shortly after I posted Red Cross gives their web site link on History Channel. Went to see if my statement was still true and of course they changed the web site since I was there 2 yrs ago. But there are links so here you go, pick and chose what's viable for you but personally think there is a lot of crossover:

[url]http://www.gopbi.com/weather/special/storm/getready/shoppinglist.html[/url]

[url]http://www.gopbi.com/weather/special/storm/getready/rlpopup.html[/url]

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:35:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanx for your responses.
Forgot to add, my wife has been a surgery tech for about 17 years.

I have always tried to explain to friends that preparedness is different than paranoia.
Food is what we need more of, personally.

I already ate up my Y2K supplies, [:D}

Have a trauma kit with O2 loaded into a Medium Alice Ruck.

Ammo loadout is already there.

I learned to have a "nearest exit" mentality from when I was a vollie firefighter. Sorta goes with me when I'm driving or out dining.

The gasmask bit, is that a for-real suggestion? Will they really help? Not sure what kind to get.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
I have always been a slight to moderate paranoid. And, living in Ca has its EQ's, one tends to preapre. I always have on hand plenty of dry goods and ammo, fresh batteries, water, etc..Yeah, some think I may be whacky, but I am a prepared[whacko]

Rotate your stock frequently!!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:44:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I think the biggest factor is the mental preparation and situational awareness that needs the most attention these days.  I earned my "Individual protective measures" by surviving
Osama in the streets of Nairobi.  I put the security mindset on low as I have been back here in the States for a year.  Going to move it right back up to the "yellow stage" or cautionary mindset when traveling and attending sports events, etc.
For the love of your country, resist terrorist attacks like they did on the flight 93!
I think one will have the backing of the whole country if they flame a terrorist with their concealed gun!  Just exercise extreme professional and prudent thinking these days, don't be a vigilante!
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#14]

The gasmask bit, is that a for-real suggestion? Will they really help? Not sure what kind to get.
View Quote

Maybe, Maybe not, depends what type of agent or chemical used, longivity of filter and if you have spare filters, but it wouldn't hurt to have one. If you know prior that an area is contaminated it will help, if you go into an area that is contaminated w/o a mask then it won't help.

As far as what kind to get I recommend one with an external NATO filter for those of th M-17 variety you will have to remove the mask to change filters not to mention they are a pain to change, I would recommend the M-40 and alike.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 10:46:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Should have everything I need, half a dozen gas masks with spare parts and filters, ammo, MREs, plenty of canned food.  The only thing I can think of is to get some additional water.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:47:41 PM EDT
[#19]
dk-prof, I'm not betting on the world ending or the colapse of the united states. If I go to war I don't want my wife bothered with things like the monthly car payment or house payments. And IF I should not return from the battle field then I want everything to be taken care of so she has a few less things to worry over.  It's my debt and I own up to it, I'm not a freeloader that is hoping for the ultimate free ride!!

As per the mountain land, generators and such she is already covered by my family's ranch/dairy/farm and her parents Aquaranch/hydroplant.

idaho-ar15
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:53:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Store 100LL avgas.  In a sealed container it will last for years.  My friend's dad was using WWII avgas in Venesuala in the early 1970s stored in galvenized cans.  Unless, the engine has a cataletic converter.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#21]
do the Isreali gas masks take the NATO filers?

I have one and filters for ARlady and myself, but I only have so many filter.  Although I have more than enough to egress a contaminated area.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:03:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Anybody got a good link for buying gas masks and filters?
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:11:48 PM EDT
[#23]
[url]www.asod.org[/url]

They are the best.
(member of ar15.com too)

btw:  those israeli surplus masks are total crap.  
I'd never trust my life to one in an NBC incident.
(might be effective for asbestos, etc... though)
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Actually, it would be better to buy stocks right now to help stabilize the market. I heard a lot of people plan to buy on Monday to help boost the economy. Selling would be counterproductive at this time.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:46:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Tetracyclene

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:51:20 PM EDT
[#26]
It's hurricane season here in Florida so I have 2 weeks supply of water, food, fuel, batteries, ammo, etc. ready so I don't think I'll need anything else.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#27]
Some sort of full body chemical suit might be nice if agents that have an effect upon skin are used.  Since the real suits are expensive and difficult to find, you can probably get by with duct tape, a disposable hooded tyvek paint suit and a gas mask.  

Lotsa stored water - think nastier attacks than the WTC incident.  There are things you just don't want to try to filter out of your drinking water.  

Batteries for your radios.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#29]
have not been selling lately so have been stocking up on surplus items. mags, kevlar,mre's and going out early  this weekend and get somemore items. ammo, smoke and next week stock up on some new gi water cans and maybe somemore lbe stuff. know I do not have enough ammo when everything but match stuff is loaded and still got mags and bandaliers left over. maybe some more fuel bars.  sold a few vests and helmets to some friends this week but thats it for awhile. picked up some new chemsuits also still in bag woodland camo but good masks are hard to get.  
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 3:46:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

How does a reasonable person who remains calm, go about preparedness. I have some things but want to read your thoughts about it. The most experince I have is 17 years as an EMT, 15 of those have been very active. I'm a hunter. And I have a brain. Thats about it.
View Quote

gsau,

it's never to late to begin preparing. and with your hunting, medical, and shooting skills you are likely pretty well off already. to me preparedness is a mind set more than anything.

have you done any type of threat analysis to determine what types of situations you may be facing? are you in the city? will you try to ride thigns out there? your environment could shape a lot of your preparation. have you been thinking along those lines?

some easy things to do quickly might be...assemble a small reference library, repack/refill any of your first aid kits, inventory your food and supplies. just being aware of your situation is a big step.

also, contact freinds or family in a rural location that could provide a retreat if needed.
and if you arent already at that level, hit the red cross site and get what you need to hold you over for a couple weeks. (even in a reasonably sane scenario, shopping could put you in an harms way.)

im probably not that far away from you. send me an email if you'd liek to compare notes or talk further.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:16:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I do want to keep this serious but... When I saw the post about batteries it reminded me of a time years ago (beginning of Klinton's 1st term) laying awake at night listening to patriot radio on shortwave. [:D]
Please pass the tinfoil...

There's a Hank Jr. song about "Got a rifle, shotgun and a 4WD, a country boy can survive"
Well, just like he said.

I will look into a gas mask, if there's any left.

I am located to the West of Reading. There is a Defense Contractor that makes specialty metals just over the hill from me and some others in Reading. I really doubt those will be hit.

Three Mile Island, Limerick and Peach Bottom nuclear powerplants are more of an issue. Limerick is 35mins from me.

Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:38:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Grund, I feel that most BLUECHIP tech stocks could double in the next 24 months.  I would not sell now at least wait for a rally of some sort.
Link Posted: 9/14/2001 4:49:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Grund, I feel that most BLUECHIP tech stocks could double in the next 24 months.  I would not sell now at least wait for a rally of some sort.
View Quote

[:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top