Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 7:46:58 AM EDT

November 02, 2006
School shot by F-16 to get more than $500,000
Associated Press

LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. — The Air Force will pay more than $500,000 to an Ocean County elementary school that was mistakenly shot by an F-16 on a training maneuver two years ago.

Under a settlement announced Wednesday, the Air Force will pay $519,070 in compensation to the Little Egg Harbor Intermediate School. The building was damaged by 27 rounds of inert 20mm ammunition from an air cannon mounted on the plane during a Nov. 3, 2004 nighttime mission over the New Jersey Pinelands.

The military blamed the pilot for the accident, but said poorly designed controls in the F-16 also played a role.

“The Air Force has done the right thing,” said Rep. Jim Saxton, R-Burlington. “Their agreement goes a long way towards repairing the actual damages to the school building, as well as keeping their relationship with the community healthy.”

School officials did not immediately return a call seeking comment Wednesday.

No one was injured in the mishap, which rattled the southern Ocean County region surrounding the Warren Grove Gunnery Range. Eight of the 2-inch lead rounds punched through the school’s roof, knocking down ceiling tiles.

At least one round struck a child’s desk, and others scuffed the asphalt in the parking lot. The rounds explode on impact when they are live.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:47:47 AM EDT
[#1]
I guess the F-16 should come with one of those mechanical pin "loaded chamber" devices for the pilots.

What a damn waste of taxpayer money.  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:48:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Shit happens
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#3]
They could certainly cover the costs of repairs with that amount.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd let them put a couple of rounds thru the roof of my house for 500k.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:49:45 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
They could certainly cover the costs of repairs with that amount.
You would hope that that would cover  the "scuffed asphalt and cieling tiles"
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:50:38 AM EDT
[#6]
So the parents of the Columbine shooters are paying how much exactly?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#7]
An F-16 strafing an Elementary school?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm suprized it's not more.  And i don't see the how it's a "waste of tax dollars" they made a mistake and are paying for the damages wich are prolly cose to the 500k amount.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:57:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I remember when that happened.  The janitor said it sounded like someone was running accross the roof.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:57:50 AM EDT
[#10]
I hope they use the money well, but I'm skeptical they will.  If it's anything like some of the public schools around here you could drop a bomb on it and not notice that anything was worse off.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:58:24 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'm suprized it's not more.  And i don't see the how it's a "waste of tax dollars" they made a mistake and are paying for the damages wich are prolly cose to the 500k amount.

No kiddin.

It was a mistake regardless... and the military doesn't exactly have "accidental strafing issurance" from fighter aircraft.

So, 500k covers it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

*insert lame attempt at joke concerning dangerous rioting school children*
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:00:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

27 rounds of inert 20mm causing 500K worth of damages? I think that is a stretch.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:01:12 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was in junior high, I actually looked out a window and saw a fighter fire a missile. I didn't really understand what I saw at the moment, it looked like the fighter was crashing or something because of the smoke when the missile fired. I found out that afternoon that there was a serious system malfunction that cause a dummy missile to fire during a training excercise- not pilot error- and the missile crashed through a house and destroyed some kid's bedroom. Thankfully, no one was home.

This was about... 1998? Maybe?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:01:15 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

$500,000+ to fix a bunch of holes in a roof?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:03:38 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

27 rounds of inert 20mm causing 500K worth of damages? I think that is a stretch.

Yep. They could build a whole new freaking building for that much.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:06:23 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

64,883 to fix each 2cm hole doesnt' sound about right to you?  
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:13:31 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

64,883 to fix each 2cm hole doesnt' sound about right to you?  

It's Jersey and has to be done with Union Labor-you got a problem with that buddy?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:18:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Frankly, there are some NJ public schools that could benefit from being strafed by fighter jets on occasion....
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:20:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea if you add 39,500,000 to that 500,000 they paid out  500,000 isn't shit as far as procument prices go.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:22:38 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

New schools in NJ cost roughly a few million.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
November 02, 2006
School shot by F-16 to get more than $500,000
Associated Press

LITTLE EGG HARBOR, N.J. — The Air Force will pay more than $500,000 to an Ocean County elementary school that was mistakenly shot by an F-16 on a training maneuver two years ago.

-snip-

No one was injured in the mishap, which rattled the southern Ocean County region surrounding the Warren Grove Gunnery Range. Eight of the 2-inch lead rounds punched through the school’s roof, knocking down ceiling tiles.

At least one round struck a child’s desk, and others scuffed the asphalt in the parking lot. The rounds explode on impact when they are live.

I love how they sensationalize it to make it sound like some kids nearly died...

A CHILD'S DESK?!!?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:24:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They go largely unused I hear
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:27:11 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

They go largely unused I hear

Wish that was true over here.

Schools are at max... Almost 3500 in the local high school.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:29:31 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So the parents of the Columbine shooters are paying how much exactly?

...........you're using logic again!........you know that using logic leads to nothing but trouble!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:35:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yea if you add 39,500,000 to that 500,000 they paid out  500,000 isn't shit as far as procument prices go.

Uhhh no. Not only no, but hell no there isn't any school that's going to cost 40 million. Out here in Phoenix many schools are made up of many many individual buildings with several classrooms per building. That's what I was thinking of and referring to. All of the schools that I went to out here were like this. And I'm pretty sure you could come close to building one of those with $500,000. I suppose if the school is one large continuous building with multiple floors and such then yeah, it'd cost a considerable amount more. $40 million is a bit of a stretch though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Uhhh no. Not only no, but hell no there isn't any school that's going to cost 40 million. Out here in Phoenix many schools are made up of many many individual buildings with several classrooms per building. That's what I was thinking of and referring to. All of the schools that I went to out here were like this. And I'm pretty sure you could come close to building one of those with $500,000. I suppose if the school is one large continuous building with multiple floors and such then yeah, it'd cost a considerable amount more. $40 million is a bit of a stretch though.

Probably not 40 million...

But a new school they just built around the corner, cost about 20 million. It was a elementary level school.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:07:30 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Yeah, I bet the teachers wished they'd strafed the administrative offices instead!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 9:35:54 AM EDT
[#29]
School o' Truth

Ban 20mm, for the children!
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 11:03:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You don't know what you are talking about. Up in the Seattle/Tacoma area it is not unheard of to do a $40 million dollar remodel on an existing school. They cost a LOT of money.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:21:35 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm an Architect in NY and a 40M school is run of the mill.

you can't get your permits, bonds and insurance together for 500k.

20mm makes big holes in HVAC equipment, steel, electrical equipment...., If any one of thoes items were hit   "fugetabowtit"  as we say round here.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:28:48 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
I'd let them put a couple of rounds thru the roof of my house for 500k.

lol!

i guess cardboard box counts
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

[kerry]Just practicing for Irak,[/kerry]
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I'm an Architect in NY and a 40M school is run of the mill.

you can't get your permits, bonds and insurance together for 500k.

20mm makes big holes in HVAC equipment, steel, electrical equipment...., If any one of thoes items were hit   "fugetabowtit"  as we say round here.

Thank you for pointing that out.

And do you guys know how difficult it is to patch a flat roof? They'll have some of those repairs leak for years to come.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top