User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2006 11:37:08 PM EDT
www.newscientist.com/article/dn10403-koala-semen-has-shelflife-boosted.html

Koala semen has shelf-life boosted
14:42 30 October 2006
NewScientist.com news service
Emma Young

Eight koala joeys have been born after artificial insemination using a new technique in which semen was diluted with an agent to lengthen its shelf-life to 40 days.

This method will allow fresh koala sperm to be shipped around Australia and even overseas, say the researchers behind the project.

On Monday, Steve Johnston at the University of Queensland and his team unveiled three of eight joeys born after sperm was mixed with a solution designed to keep the sperm alive during storage. A range of experiments went into producing the solution, which included varying its pH (acidity), or the chemicals used to provide nourishment for the cells.

But insemination itself seems to be involved in triggering ovulation in koalas, so there were concerns that diluting sperm might also dilute the factors involved in this. “Now we’ve shown that we can dilute and still get insemination,” says Johnston.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:40:23 PM EDT
[#1]
So is that an item that will soon show up on E-Bay?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
It seems to me that leaving the semen in the Koala would provide nearly indefinate self life.   It would even have a built in injector.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:03:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent news indeed...now I can re-adjust my inventory levels.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:18:07 AM EDT
[#4]
So with the ability to ship it far away will the demand go up, and more importantly will I be able to get my dream job, koala jerker-offer. As of right now it is only a hobby.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:20:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes, but how does koala's seamen compare to goats?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 12:31:39 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Much smoother finish and a nutty after taste, also the bouquet is very pleasant.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Much smoother finish and a nutty after taste, also the bouquet is very pleasant.

I don't even want to know how you know that.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top