Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/1/2006 10:34:11 AM EDT
Is that really all that they pay?

If it is, I have to wonder how they can really expect anyone to show up for jury duty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:36:22 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is that really all that they pay?

If it is, I have to wonder how they can really expect anyone to show up for jury duty.

The threat of prison if you don't, has a way of influencing people.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Shwoup or go to jail

That works even if they dont pay you,

$25 here but work picks up the difference, I got to go next week,
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#3]
IBIYDC
in before it's your duty crap
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]
You ought to be glad to serve for free as part of your civic duty.

Except for takticoolbeerninja; he's welcome to pack his shit and head for friendlier places with low expectations of its occupants.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#5]
If they paid actual wages you'd have nothing but welfare type retards serving on Jury Duty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:44:42 AM EDT
[#6]
To clarify, I have never been called for jury duty.

At the moment, I am between jobs, and an extra $5 a day wouldn't hurt.

I simply find it difficult to understand how anyone can justify paying $5 per day to everyone who comes in.

A long trial would seem to have the potential to really screw someone over financially.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:44:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Its $6/ day here
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:44:46 AM EDT
[#8]
It's $9 here in Philly.  

The fine is like $500 if you don't show up.

Been called twice, never served (always DQd).
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:45:08 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
If they paid actual wages you'd have nothing but welfare type retards serving on Jury Duty.

+1

With the predictable results stemming from such juries.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Do they take witholding out of the $5?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:47:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:49:40 AM EDT
[#12]
hahaha
asked you to noy take the pay?
i would ask them to not accept their paycheck then as well... fair is fair.
i miss work, you miss the beenfits of your work.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:49:46 AM EDT
[#13]
If you're an hourly worker and your employer does not pay for jury duty, you can request to be excused for financial hardship. You may have to provide proof for this well in advanced than the first day of duty.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Minimum wage per hour at the least, is what it should be.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:51:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

They had to keep watch here, had alot of people showing up to get on the list as being there then skipping out to get the $25
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:53:27 AM EDT
[#16]
This is just a token amount, doesn't even pay for lunch at Mickey Dees now days.

If you can, I highly encourage anyone do jury duty and actually sit on a case.  This is right in the bowels of USoA democracy.  This is a really eye opening experience.  People often wonder why some juries make some outlandish decisions, but they have never had to sit in on a jury trial not know the process.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 10:55:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Except for takticoolbeerninja; he's welcome to pack his shit and head for friendlier places with low expectations of its occupants.

Fuck you! I'm bitter because I get called every year.I know people who are in their 60's and never been called.When you work for a company that won't pay you that 6 bucks sucks
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:21:19 AM EDT
[#18]
And whatever you do SHOW UP. I got put on a jury and told to come back the next morning.Some guy felt work was more important,so we sat around the courtroom for an hour and a half till the sheriffs dept. showed up with him.The judge was pissed, but he got lucky and didn't get fined
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:15:24 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck you! I'm bitter because I get called every year.I know people who are in their 60's and never been called.When you work for a company that won't pay you that 6 bucks sucks

Cry me a river.  In this county, you serve in the pool for a quarter at a time.  I've served on 4 circuit juries.  In 2000 I was in the circuit pool and the Federal pool  during the same time period and served on a jury at each location.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:19:35 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
To clarify, I have never been called for jury duty.

At the moment, I am between jobs, and an extra $5 a day wouldn't hurt.

I simply find it difficult to understand how anyone can justify paying $5 per day to everyone who comes in.

A long trial would seem to have the potential to really screw someone over financially.

Cost you more that $5 a day to get there
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:20:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Did jury duty for 3 days in '98.

Company paid for my 'vacation' from work.  .gov paid $15 a day.

It was some case by one of the 'Have you been hurt in an accident' type TV lawyers against a cement company and their big cement trucks.  We took about 3 hours (1.5 for catered lunch) to decide against the plaintiff.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:58:15 AM EDT
[#22]
I think we get a few bucks more than $5.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:01:40 AM EDT
[#23]
The last time I went I got paid $2 or so in reimbursement for travelling. I didn't even bother to cash the check. They didn't even need us. We sat on our asses watching Castaway and they came out and said "oh apparently they reached a settlement or plea last night so you're all free to go!" Before even being interviewed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top