Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2006 5:49:08 AM EDT
http://www.cnsnews.com/ViewSpecialReports.asp?Page=/SpecialReports/archive/200608/SPE20060821a.html

Texas Sheriffs Say Terrorists Entering US from Mexico
By Kevin Mooney
CNSNews.com Staff Writer
August 21, 2006

(CNSNews.com) - The chief law enforcement officers of several Texas counties along the southern U.S. border warn that Arabic-speaking individuals are learning Spanish and integrating into Mexican culture before paying smugglers to sneak them into the United States. The Texas Sheriffs' Border Coalition believes those individuals are likely terrorists and that drug cartels and some members of the Mexican military are helping them get across the border.

Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez of Zapata County, Texas told Cybercast News Service that Iranian currency, military badges in Arabic, jackets and other clothing are among the items that have been discovered along the banks of the Rio Grande River. The sheriff also said there are a substantial number of individuals crossing the southern border into the U.S. who are not Mexican. He described the individuals in question as well-funded and able to pay so-called "coyotes" - human smugglers - large sums of money for help gaining illegal entry into the U.S.

Although many of the non-Mexican illegal aliens are fluent in Spanish, Gonzalez said they speak with an accent that is not native.

"It's clear these people are coming in for reasons other than employment," Gonzalez said.

That sentiment is shared by Rep. Tom Tancredo (R-Colo.).

"For years, Muslims and other 'Special Interest Aliens' from places other than Mexico have been streaming into the U.S. across our porous border," Tancredo told Cybercast News Service. "These people are not paying $50,000 or more a head just to 'take jobs no American will do.'

"Terrorists are working round the clock to infiltrate the United States," he added. "Congress and this administration must address this gaping hole in our national security and they must do it now."

Some of the more high profile pieces of evidence pointing to terrorist infiltration of the U.S. have been uncovered in Jim Hogg County, Texas, which experiences a high volume of smuggling activity, according to local law enforcement.

"We see patches on jackets from countries where we know al Qaeda to be active," Gonzalez explained.

The patches appear to be military badges with Arabic lettering. One patch in particular, discovered this past December, caught the attention of federal homeland security officials, according to Gonzalez and local officials familiar with the investigation.

Sheriff Wayne Jernigan of Valverde County, Texas, told members of the U.S. Senate Judiciary Committee in March about one patch that read "midnight mission" and displayed an airplane flying over a building heading towards a tower. Translators with DHS have said some of the various phrases and slogans on the items could mean "martyr," "way to eternal life," or "way to immortality."

Gonzalez told the House International Relations Subcommittee on International Terrorism and Nonproliferation in July that the terrorists are getting smarter.

"To avoid apprehension, we feel many of these terrorists attempt to blend in with persons of Hispanic origin when entering the country." Gonzalez stated. "We feel that terrorists are already here and continue to enter our country on a daily basis."

Sheriff Arvin West of Hudspeth County, Texas, told Cybercast News Service that he believes some Mexican soldiers are operating in concert with the drug cartels to aid the terrorists.

"There's no doubt in my mind," he said, "although the Mexican government and our government adamantly deny it."

Statistics made available through the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) show more than 40,000 illegal aliens from countries "Other Than Mexico," designated as OTMs, were apprehended by the U.S. Border Patrol in the period ranging from October 2003 to June 2004, as they attempted to cross the southwestern border. An overview of border security challenges produced through the office of Texas Gov. Rick Perry indicates that almost 120,000 OTMs were apprehended while attempting to cross into the state from January through July 2005.

Local authorities are particularly concerned about illegal aliens arriving from Special Interest Countries (SICs) where a radical version of Islam is known to flourish. Perry's office cites Iraq, Iran, Indonesia and Bangladesh among those countries. A Tancredo spokesperson said the list also includes Afghanistan, Egypt, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Yemen.

As Cybercast News Service previously reported an internal audit of DHS that combines the number of illegal aliens arriving from SICs with the documented instances of illegal aliens arriving from countries identified as being state sponsors of terrorism (SSTs) yields a grand total of over 90,000 such illegal aliens who have been apprehended during the five year period from fiscal year 2001 to fiscal year 2005.

The border security report delivered by Perry's office focuses attention on the "Triborder region" of Latin America, which spans an area between Brazil, Argentina and Paraguay.

"The Triborder Region is a focal point of Islamic extremism," the report states. "Al Qaeda leadership plans to use criminal alien smuggling organizations to bring terrorist operatives across the border into the U.S."

Carlos Espinosa, a press spokesman for Tancredo, said his office is aware of a training camp in Brazil that actually teaches people from outside of Latin America how they can assimilate into the Mexican culture.

"They come up as illegal aliens and disguise themselves as potential migrant workers," Espinosa said.

End Text of Quote.

To para-phase FOX NEWS "I REPORT you DECIDE " .
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 5:57:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:07:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Just a matter of time IMHO.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#3]
And us ARFCOMMERS mentioned this might happen HOW LONG AGO?!

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:17:29 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
And us ARFCOMMERS mentioned this might happen HOW LONG AGO?!

+1
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:24:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Just when I start to think I might have enough ammo something like this comes along.

I'm starting to think there is no such thing as "enough ammo."

It's up to us to prepare.  It's our responsibility as citizens.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:27:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:32:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I think many of us have realized this for quite some time, but it's nice to see it reaffirmed in the papers.

I've gotten to the point where I'm only thinking 2 things:

1.  The Lord can take care of anything
2.  Doing my part to protect my family if something goes terribly wrong

It's evident that we're not going to fully stop the illegals/terrorists from entering the country so it's imperative that people cover their own asses first.

HH
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:34:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Just factor the consequences into the price of that cheap lettuce.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:34:41 AM EDT
[#9]
People related to Al Queda have already passed through the border and have been apprehended in Texas.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:41:16 AM EDT
[#10]
height=8
Quoted:
Just factor the consequences into the price of that cheap lettuce.heap

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:44:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Just wait til the TransTexas Corridor starts running after our "leaders" fly it in under the radar. The illegals and terrorists will just stroll right in.

Link to info on the TTC
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:51:00 AM EDT
[#12]
The Mexican government and other such groups are just helping the terrorists that Americans won't help.

PLAN:
1 - build seriously bad ass wall along entire southern and northern borders of the USA
2 - deport all illegals persons
3 - eliminate "anchor baby" provision
4 - investigate and deport all "friendlies" of anti-America groups
5 - stop transfer of all monetary funds from USA to other countries linked to terrorism
6 - institute an immigration policy similar to Mexico (fair is fair, right!)
7 - <insert other suggestions here>
8 - <insert other suggestions here>
9 - <insert other suggestions here>
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 6:56:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Tucson Sector BP VRs (Voluntary Returns - i.e. they haven't been caught 23 times yet, which is the number of times an alien must be caught before being considered a criminal alien) for last month - 15,800.

This does not include OTMs (Other Than Mexicans), ERs (Expidited Removals), Mat Wits (Material Witnesses), Criminal Aliens, Smugglers, etc.

It's already an invasion.

Over-run stations routinely call Broken Arrow here.  There were agents working 12 large groups last night, trying to get AC on station and the wait time was appx 4 hours.

Sheep
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:06:23 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

~snip~

PLAN:
1 - build seriously bad ass wall along entire southern and northern borders of the USA

1 - As a former BP Agent, this is a no-go.  It's not possible to protect/defend such a wall.  They'd climb over it, tunnel under it....I discovered 13 tunnels in one month, in areas with NO fence.  You'd literally need a man every 250-500 yards, 24/7.  

Electronic surviellance is much more effective.  You wouldn't believe the sensor capability we have now.  The problem is that we don't have enough manpower to respond to all the sensor activations.

2 - Not possible.  The problem has been ignored for too long.  The oft quoted figure of "11 million illegal aliens" is some pie-in-the-sky paper-pusher's best-guesstimate.  In reality, it's closer to 3X that many.  Besides, when they get caught now, they have 22 more chances before they are criminally prosecuted.

And people ask me why I left the Border Patrol.

Sheep
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:10:54 AM EDT
[#15]
height=8
Quoted:
I think many of us have realized this for quite some time, but it's nice to see it reaffirmed in the papers.

It's evident that we're not going to fully stop the illegals/terrorists from entering the country so it's imperative that people cover their own asses first.

HH
''Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition''!
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:14:31 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~snip~

PLAN:

1 - As a former BP Agent, this is a no-go.  It's not possible to protect/defend such a wall.  They'd climb over it, tunnel under it....I discovered 13 tunnels in one month, in areas with NO fence.  You'd literally need a man every 250-500 yards, 24/7.  

Electronic surviellance is much more effective.  You wouldn't believe the sensor capability we have now.  The problem is that we don't have enough manpower to respond to all the sensor activations.

2 - Not possible.  The problem has been ignored for too long.  The oft quoted figure of "11 million illegal aliens" is some pie-in-the-sky paper-pusher's best-guesstimate.  In reality, it's closer to 3X that many.  Besides, when they get caught now, they have 22 more chances before they are criminally prosecuted.

And people ask me why I left the Border Patrol.

Sheep

That's depressing.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:17:24 AM EDT
[#17]
Seismic sensors along the whole border, more funding for the BP.  Fines/jail time for employers who aid/abet illegals (employers, people who rent to them, etc); 1-stop dropkick for illegals caught in the US...  oh, and cut financial aid to Mexico until they can clean up their side of the border.  

Also, no digging up tunnels under the border.  Make sure the policy is known before hand, and then use concussive force to collapse them from the surface.  If you're in there; tough shit, you were warned.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:24:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Seismic sensors along the whole border, more funding for the BP.

As to sensors, there's alot more than that.  Motion, IR, NV and a whole lot of other stuff I'm not prepared to discuss.

As to funding....BP could make effective use of 15,000 more agents.  Tasked to get another 6-8k in the next 3-5 years, assuming the funding stays in place.

One of the biggest goat-fucks was the implementation of the DHS.  Customs got de-balled, ICE is all fubar and BP and ICE are having a sissy-fight over who does what.

Add to that the fact that you have THOUSANDS of BP agents doing bullshit admin work when they could be out in the field....yeah.

What BP needs are more agents on the ground and more AC in the skies.

Sheep
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:28:58 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

HH

It's all we can do, my good man.

Also, contrast your excellent list with what the liberals have:

1: The government will save me!

Disconcerting to say the least. Liberals can say what they will about how much smarter they think they are than conservatives, but they're the ones that depend on everyone else for anything of import. We conservatives are planning for a future without much in the way of conveniences...

/this threadjack brought to you by a moment of sterling Conservative clarity
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top