Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2006 7:16:54 AM EDT
Owing to the push for a ban on .50 cal, I am thinking about jumping in on a .50 caliber rifle in the near future.  I was considering the bolt action Barrett - but wanted to solicit input from the "Hive Mind" on which rifle give the most bang for your buck.  

I would like to get a rifle that is safe, duarble and accurate for the best possible price (ideally under $4k)- let me know what you recomend.

I would appreciate any input on resources - and on peoples experiences.

ETA (also below)

Another question - in terms of scopes:

I would like something that is reasonably priced, reasonably easy to use, durable, and that will be good enough for both fun shooting (e.g. easy to use), and also good enough to do a respectable job should I decide to get into competition.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:21:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:22:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Some guy recently bought a Vulcan/Hesse 50 and loved it.  I'm pretty sure "Heavy Weapons Guy" was his s/n.  He loved the thing, last time he posted he was off to shoot it but never came back.

Seriously, try the 50 forum or M2HB.net
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:24:10 AM EDT
[#3]
+1 on the Serbu.

(Get the "Have a Nice Day" option.    )

HKO
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]
The Barretts seem very nice.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 7:50:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've shot a number of them and bought a State Arms Rebel.  I like the Armalite AR-50 also.  Both are definitely "most bang for the buck."  

I chose the SA because of the accuracy, trigger, and (very!) mild recoil.  We have had a number of 10 y/o children shoot our rifle and all have come away smiling.  We even had a member's wife who had had shoulder surgery shoot it--and her big grin was followed with "Can I do it again?"  (Tracy, you made the trip for me!)

At Gunstock I my wife fired one shot at the 1000-yard range at Tiger Valley.  She hit the 3" X of the bull.  The rest of us managed to keep things mostly in the ten ring--about a foot in diameter.  This was with an $80 Trashco scope and Talon rebuilt ball ammo.  I am anxious to get some good glass and handloaded ammo with better bullets.  

Thanks for the advice - those look like great rifles.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:20:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I've shot a number of them and bought a State Arms Rebel.  I like the Armalite AR-50 also.  Both are definitely "most bang for the buck."  

I chose the SA because of the accuracy, trigger, and (very!) mild recoil.  We have had a number of 10 y/o children shoot our rifle and all have come away smiling.  We even had a member's wife who had had shoulder surgery shoot it--and her big grin was followed with "Can I do it again?"  (Tracy, you made the trip for me!)

At Gunstock I my wife fired one shot at the 1000-yard range at Tiger Valley.  She hit the 3" X of the bull.  The rest of us managed to keep things mostly in the ten ring--about a foot in diameter.  This was with an $80 Trashco scope and Talon rebuilt ball ammo.  I am anxious to get some good glass and handloaded ammo with better bullets.  

Beekeeper,

Did you get the tactical stock or the wood.  The tactical looks interesting - but I was not sure if it was as durable as the wood - and if it was comfortable.  

Thanks again for the input!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:24:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Serbu.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:28:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:39:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Just wait for it...

5 grand retail.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:46:30 AM EDT
[#11]
My vote would be the AR-50, although I am biased since I own one.

The AR-50 was built to handle the more powerful Russian 12.7mm round.

Not to mention, it is a beautiful looking firearm.
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:47:59 AM EDT
[#12]
I've have shot the one below.  It had the recoil of an AR, the muzzle brake is really nice.

The concussion on the other hand ..........

VIDEO ---------->  LINK

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:57:10 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a Bluegrass Armory Viper a few months back and I love it....

Got it direct from BGA for $2295. (their website says they're going up $200 January 1st).

www.bluegrassarmory.com

Link Posted: 10/31/2006 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Serbu by far
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:53:05 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Beekeeper,

Did you get the tactical stock or the wood.  The tactical looks interesting - but I was not sure if it was as durable as the wood - and if it was comfortable.  

Thanks again for the input!

We liked the tactical stock best.  FrankSquid has one with the wood and likes it.  

The rifle does look a bit "unusual"--awkward even--but it is VERY comfortable to shoot.  The recoil is roughly 2/3 of a typical .308 rifle--very mild and MUCH more of a noticeable "push" than "punch."  The price one pays is in the muzzle blast, so BOTH plugs and muffs are mandatory for everyone in the vicinity.  You quickly get used to that though.  

Here is a pic taken by CockedandLocked at GSI, note the bolt is removed:

photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=23086

ETA:  Hey!  I just noticed you are here in Illinoisistan.  You are welcome to shoot it any time you want.  I took it to one of the Buffalo Blast shoots last year and a number of members shot it.  If you know any of them (npd233, etc.) ask them about it.

Sweet - where do you shoot typically?
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 9:56:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
www.serbu.com/50bmg/bfg50a1.jpg

Just wait for it...

5 grand retail.

That Serbu looks pretty damn sweet. It looks a lot like a Barret. It even uses Barret mags. I would love to buy one of those without the cost of a Barret!
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:07:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/31/2006 10:08:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Hasing owned the armalite and messed with the barrett, I like the barrett abit more
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#19]

I would like something that is reasonably priced, reasonably easy to use, durable, and that will be good enough for both fun shooting (e.g. easy to use), and also good enough to do a respectable job should I decide to get into competition.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:37:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Super Sniper
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:42:15 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I've have shot the one below.  It had the recoil of an AR, the muzzle brake is really nice.

Seriously, what is the recoil like?
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 7:44:40 AM EDT
[#22]
I've got a McBro's...  

Make sure, whatever rifle you get, it has a field grade barrel on it.  

~Dg84
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:22:07 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.serbu.com/50bmg/bfg50a1.jpg

Just wait for it...

5 grand retail.

That Serbu looks pretty damn sweet. It looks a lot like a Barret. It even uses Barret mags. I would love to buy one of those without the cost of a Barret!

It will have interchangeable calibers and barrel lengths, contour's too.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:36:12 AM EDT
[#24]
If you can find someone to make it, it looks like a >50 Peacekeeper would be an option to explore.  It would raise the utility level, anyway.

Larry
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#25]
This thread is easy to masterbate to
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:46:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

You got the first - errr shot I guess....
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It really was like an AR, I was VERY surprised.

But again, the concussive blast , that defintely was NOT like an AR, lol
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:19:11 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Super Sniper

+1

www.riflescopes.com
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:41:45 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Any suggestions?

"reasonably priced" is pretty relative when you are talking guns like these.

To each his own.

I went to the biggerhammer.net forum and saught advice from a community
dedicated to these monster rifles.  

I was warned that there aren't many scopes that can tolerate these big rifles.

NOT because of the recoil, but because of the effect the muzzle brake has on the
recoil.  The gun recoils backwards, then is jerked almost to a stop by the brake.
Most scopes can't handle the opposing recoil.

There are those who use the Tasco SuperSniper.

And there are those who use the Leupold and Nightforce.

There doesn't seem to be much in between.

I went with the NightForce.  Lifetime warantee.  Incredible optics.

A buddy of mine went super cheap and put a $60 Simmons on his AR-50.
It has lasted maybe a hundred rounds so far.  Doubt it will last much longer.

But you can buy a lot of $60 Simmons scopes for the cost of one $1400 NightForce.

Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Here's a little video I made a couple years back because everyone always asked about recoil.  My wife is in it...  At the time she was 5'2" and around 125lbs.  As you can see, it don't even phase her and actually she enjoys shooting the .50 the most.

~Dg84

My Youtube video
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:23:14 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here's a little video I made a couple years back because everyone always asked about recoil.  My wife is in it...  At the time she was 5'2" and around 125lbs.  As you can see, it don't even phase her and actually she enjoys shooting the .50 the most.

~Dg84

My Youtube video

Cool thanks.  Found this vid too

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUc0nOMT2wE&mode=related&search=

Now if only we could get some Raufoss
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:29:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

+1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top