Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 1:04:02 PM EDT
I just sold a Mosin-Nagant (you know...those really old rifles that are about 9ft long).  

I called FedEx this morning to make sure it was okay for me to bring in a rifle.  I didn't want anyone freaking out on me when I strolled in with something that not only could shoot out a satelitte, but could tap one out of orbit if I stood tip-toed.  The lady that answered said "no problem...bring it on in, but we can't pack it.  You have too".  I ask some price info on boxes etc and hang up.  Everything was good-to-go.

A couple of hours later after classes I went home, grabbed the rifle, my copy of the buyer's C&R and headed out the door.  I got to the FedEx and walked in with the rifle, bolt removed.  As soon as I walked in all three of the employees I saw in there started eyeballing me hard.  One started towards me and greeted me with..."We can't send that.  It's against the law.  We don't deal with those unless they are being shipped to the factory, You can't have it in here"..etc.  

Now I always thought some of you here that wrote about random people acting scared shitless at the sight of firearms were full of it.  I had never really been around anyone like that.  I guess I was wrong.  This guy didn't want anything to do with me and another employee (some fat, greasy, twinkee killing machine) was parroting everything he said.

Right about the time I got out "I called ahead and asked about this...I was told I was gtg" The lady I talked to on the phone came out from the back and said I was right.  She hooked me up with some packing material and all was well.

Of course there were no boxes there that would even come close to fitting the rifle so I had to make my own out of a a huge piece of cardboard .  

There is a somewhat happy ending though.  I got raped on the shipping charges, but the guy that initially approached me and denied me my FedEx rights told me not to worry about paying for the two rolls of bubble wrap I used packing the rifle and he even asked me a few questions about it.

Twinkee boy remained silent.  Maybe his mouth was full.

It's odd to see that some people just don't want anything to do with firearms.  Even when it's a normal law abiding citizen carrying it.  I guess you all weren't full of shit!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Why in the world would you just walk in with the rifle un-boxed???

Sorry to pick ... I'd have boxed it at home. I already know that John and Suzy Public will lose their fudge if they saw me walking around with an unboxed gun, so I would just have found (or made) a box for it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, like I said I called ahead and asked about boxes and it's an old rifle.  Lots of wood, obviously ancient, and very non-threatening.

Besides, this is southwest Virginia.  Fudds everywhere.  I didn't expect it.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:22:49 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sorry to pick ... I'd have boxed it at home. I already know that John and Suzy Public will lose their fudge if they saw me walking around with an unboxed gun, so I would just have found (or made) a box for it.

+1 Box it up at home yourself and just ship it from the FedEx center.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:27:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Fuck em,  go ahead a walk in with an unboxed rifle.

The sheeple need to see them so they will get desensitized AGAIN ( back in the day it was no big deal )
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:27:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Because he can.  Why should he not?

I would not box it on purpose only to get them accustomed to seeing firearms.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I NEVER... EVER... ship a firearm like that.

I box it up AT HOME, print out a label AT HOME, and drop the box off.

I got so sick of them telling me it was illegal to ship a damn firearm...  Dipshits don't even know their company's regulations most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Don't worry about it. Be Polite, Pleasant, and Persistant.

Providing people with an education is not always easy, though it is almost always worth it.
BTW - if the three P's don't work, feel free to add a fourth. "Piss on 'em".
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:40:17 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Because he can.  Why should he not?

I would not box it on purpose only to get them accustomed to seeing firearms.

Yep.  I didn't see where it would be a problem.  Like I said I called and asked ahead of time to be sure.  I even asked specifically if I could just walk in with it.  I figured that was good enough.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:44:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Meh, I simply have no time to re-socially engineer everyone to become accustomed to seeing firearms in the open.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:46:39 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Gold.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]
A lady at the USPS told me it was illegal and refused. She said she did not like guns. I had her call a postal inspector.  The PI said it was illegal.  I had her call back and I spoke to the PI and quoted the law to her.  She pulled it read it and told the clerk it was ok.  I mailed it with insurance to my son (essentially mailing to myself as he is a minor).

When it got there it was beat to shit.  Could only have been done on purpose.  It took over 6 months to get my money out of the PO for the gun.  Maybe I should have not called the USPO clerk a fucking bitch?  

I mailed a rifle last week and it was pre packaged.  The lady again said it was illegal when she asked if it was a gun.  Every fucking time!  This one got there in one piece.  I never tell them it is a rifle after the first one but the rural clerks are good at spotting them.  The later one told me it was OK as long as it was not a shot gun!

We are fucked as as a gun culture even in rural pro gun Indiana.

Bob
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:52:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Not to hijack the thread, but in the vein of people freaking out...

I've taken a buddy with me a couple times to shoot my AKs and our .45s to a local range.  The last time, he said his wife (fairly recent marriage) expressed some interest in coming along.  Fine with me, I sez, the more the merrier.

Turns out she's coming to our next shootin' day in a couple weeks, but according to my buddy "she's scared shitless".  Now this is a woman who is from all indications, more intelligent than average and is within months of getting a black belt in TaeKwon-Do.  And she's frightened of the guns.  To her credit, she wants to learn, though.

It just kinda startles me when I run into people who, literally, are afraid of guns.
Maybe I'm jaded????
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:52:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Tell them it's car parts! Machine parts, whatever.

I've shipped AR uppers around before and when they ask I just say "Metal parts" or whatever and I insure them for what they're worth. Sometimes twice the value, so if it got lost, both parties get reimbursed.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 1:58:42 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Meh, I simply have no time to re-socially engineer everyone to become accustomed to seeing firearms in the open.

I see your point.  It's just sad that when I was in high school nearly everybody had a rifle on a rack right on the back window of their pick-up during deer season...then 10-11 years later you can't have a gun in the open without fear/ignorance.

I am beginning to see why you "gun nuts" stockpile ammo.........
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Not everyone,  just the ones you come in contact with.  Every little bit helps.

Or would you rather slink about like a criminal with something that is perfectly legal.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not everyone,  just the ones you come in contact with.  Every little bit helps.

Or would you rather slink about like a criminal with something that is perfectly legal.

Who said anything about slinking?

My time is valuable. I do not have the time, nor do I care to, make up for lapses in people's educations.

Knock yourself out trying if you want. I guaran-flippin-tee you'll be back on Arfcom complaining about your experience.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:21:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Of course there were no boxes there that would even come close to fitting the rifle so I had to make my own out of a a huge piece of cardboard .  

There is a somewhat happy ending though.  I got raped on the shipping charges, but the guy that initially approached me and denied me my FedEx rights told me not to worry about paying for the two rolls of bubble wrap I used packing the rifle and he even asked me a few questions about it.

It's odd to see that some people just don't want anything to do with firearms.  Even when it's a normal law abiding citizen carrying it.  I guess you all weren't full of shit!  

I had to use FED-EX today as well to ship a gun part. Thought they would have shipping tubes ,but no luck. Otherwise, I would have pre-packed it as i learned from past experience that they dont provide much in the way of shipping boxes. I actually said to the desk woman "fedex and no shipping tubes????"

After adapting (using bubble wrap) and overcoming, it was shipped in some triangular shaped three foot long box.

Yes its incredible and sometimes kinda fun to watch the expressions when you say "yeah its a firearm" that you want to ship.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:23:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Fuck em,  go ahead a walk in with an unboxed rifle.

The sheeple need to see them so they will get desensitized AGAIN ( back in the day it was no big deal )

Aint that truth. Hard to believe there was a time even in urban/suburban areas when no one would have batted an eye at his carrying a rifle openly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top