Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/30/2006 5:19:42 AM EDT
Boy killed, 4 other kids wounded as 40 MM explodes
http://news.balita.ph/html/article.php/20061029124708648

Sunday, October 29 2006 @ 12:47 PM GMT

Provincial

A nine-year old boy was killed while four other children were seriously wounded when a 40MM live ammunition (M203 ammunition) they were toying with exploded Sunday morning at Sitio Mahayahay, Barangay Anticala, in Butuan City , sketchy reports reaching the command and operation center of Northeastern Mindanao Police Regional Office 13 (PRO 13 ) here said.

Chief Supt. Antonio D. Nanas, regional director of Northeastern Mindanao PRO 13 immediately ordered Senior Supt. Ramon C. Espiritu, city director of Butuan Police City Office (BPCO), to conduct an immediate investigation on the said 40MM explosion.

The region's police chief also dispatched PRO 13 SOCO team to assist in the investigation.

Killed was a certain Jimboy Dunting, 9, of that same place. He was rushed to Butuan Medical Center but was pronounced dead on arrival by attending physicians.

Seriously wounded and also immediately taken to that same hospital were Jimboy's younger brother -- Junihen, 2,; his sister Jolibe, 6; Edizon H. Malaque, 5; and his younger brother Darwin, 3, all of Sitio Mahayahay.

The incident happened at 7:20 in the morning while the victims were playing at the backyard of Dunting's house where they found the 40MM ammunition.

Unaware that the ammunition was live, Jimboy, together with his brother, sister and neighbors played with it.

The victims sustained multiple shrapnel wounds in various parts of their bodies.

Recovered from the scene of the explosion were fragments of 40 MM. Investigation is still going on. (PNA)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Huh?

This happened like 2 months ago.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:23:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Children seem more, and more, the victims of careless men.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
DUPE!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:24:37 AM EDT
[#4]
if this story was a snake it would have bit you.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:24:59 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
DUPE!

Yeah, but from how far back?  Is there another 40mm grenade or is this the same incident from months ago?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:26:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Huh?

This happened like 2 months ago.

"were toying with exploded Sunday morning..."
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Dupe or not...I didn't see it.....and I have to ask.....
where the hell is "Sitio Mahayahay, Barangay Anticala, in Butuan City"???

third world crap hole?

No Expert
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:37:00 AM EDT
[#8]

A nine-year old boy was killed while four other children were seriously wounded when a 40MM live ammunition (M203 ammunition) they were toying with exploded Sunday morning at Sitio Mahayahay, Barangay Anticala, in Butuan City , sketchy reports reaching the command and operation center of Northeastern Mindanao Police Regional Office 13 (PRO 13 ) here said.

I couldnt find a m203 nade anywhere in the states...I need to move here.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:39:21 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

third world crap hole?

No Expert

Must be in the Phillipines somewhere.  They are fighting against their own Islamofascists over there.  Well, actually it is more about land than religion over there (if I understand it correctly)
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:44:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I wish I had some of those.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:46:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
DUPE!

Yeah, but from how far back?  Is there another 40mm grenade or is this the same incident from months ago?

This one is dated the 29th, the other one happend atleast a month ago.

Unless it got reposted with a new date?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:50:57 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Seriously wounded and also immediately taken to that same hospital were Jimboy's younger brother -- Junihen, 2,; his sister Jolibe, 6; Edizon H. Malaque, 5; and his younger brother Darwin, 3, all of Sitio Mahayahay.

Darwin will pass along what he has learned to his children and they will not play with grenades.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:54:03 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

third world crap hole?

No Expert

Must be in the Phillipines somewhere.  They are fighting against their own Islamofascists over there.  Well, actually it is more about land than religion over there (if I understand it correctly)

It's the Philippines. I spent 6 months there in 2001-2002 supporting OEF. It's all about religion and them getting their own land, just like everywhere else.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:11:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Any word on if this was an unexploded munition from a past conflict, that they found buried or if it was part of a private collection?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:24:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Any word on if this was an unexploded munition from a past conflict, that they found buried or if it was part of a private collection?

Past as in yesterday? They are fighting constantly down there. Unfortunately, there is always unexploded ordanance left behind. Kids don't know the difference
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:53:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

This one is dated the 29th, the other one happend atleast a month ago.

Yep.  The other one was domestic.  Some man let the kids play with it.  He didn't know it was live.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top