Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2006 3:43:18 AM EDT
news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061030/ap_on_re_us/city_crime_list

By CHRISTOPHER LEONARD, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 32 minutes ago
ST. LOUIS - A surge in violence made St. Louis the most dangerous city in the country, leading a trend of violent crimes rising much faster in the Midwest than in the rest of nation, according to an annual list.

How can this happen! Who’s fault is it?
Not Mayor Francis Slay (Democrat)  or the city Aldermen.

St. Louis, Missouri - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
As of 2006, 27 of the city's 28 Aldermen are Democrats.

Nor could it be that St. Louis and St. Louis County voters overwhelmingly opposed concealed carry in the 1999 ballot measure.

Vote Democrat! Vote for a change! We can make the rest of the US just like St Louis.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
The midwest is probably the last place in the states to be getting saturated by illegals. Im sure we are going to reach a point where thier is no more cheap jobs to higher them at.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:53:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The midwest is probably the last place in the states to be getting saturated by illegals. Im sure we are going to reach a point where thier is no more cheap jobs to higher them at.

Illegals aren't the problem in St Louie, its a darker issue.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:27:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Coincidence that this story comes out on the heels of the Cardinals win in the World Series????  I don’t think so….       (Our media at work.)  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 5:45:44 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:21:09 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
A surge in violence made St. Louis the most dangerous city in the country

After Hawkins left, it just went downhill
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
East St.Louis is much safer  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:28:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Well also keep in mind that the report only considers St louis city, which has much of the worst areas (north end=bad) on the Missouri side.

I don't like the area much--but if you had to live in the area and were looking for a nice place to live, you wouldn't begin by searching in the city.....
~
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:37:10 AM EDT
[#9]
I am EXTREMELY confident in the ability of Memphis to get our shit together, make a huge effort, and knock St. Louis off the top of this particular hill.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:40:12 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Like when the lights go out.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:41:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't doubt it. I used to go to a lot of hockey games in STL, GO BLUES!, and I rarely ever went the entire trip without having some racist comment made toward me by Tupac Jr. and his brother Jamal. My favorites were the shouts from 200 yards away yelling "Hey Honkey &^%^%&*!". It kind of makes you want to break leather...I mean my belt of course.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:46:41 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

in south county i really don't run across THAT many illegals, some of the lawn mowers look like it but they are being productive and doing work, nothing wrong with that. St. Louis University has one of the largest police departments in the state, and they are freaking campus cops. that has to say something about the city.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:51:13 AM EDT
[#13]
w00t !!!  First the World Series, and now this!

WE'RE NUMBER 1 !!!  

More seriously - everyone who reads this should remember that those statistics refer to the CITY of St. Louis, which only includes about 300,000 people - out of the 1.5+ million residents of greater St. Louis (i.e. St. Louis county).  I've lived in St. Louis for almost 12 years, and I don't know anyone that lives within the city limits.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:53:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I am EXTREMELY confident in the ability of Memphis to get our shit together, make a huge effort, and knock St. Louis off the top of this particular hill.

I would say it's a dead heat between STL and Memphis.  

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:55:08 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would say it's a dead heat between STL and Memphis.  

All, I can say is :

Bring it on, losers !!!  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:56:02 AM EDT
[#16]
can't you just push them all into the miss. river?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:56:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

yep...

Memphis "natives" wouldn't have it any other way.

To the OP,

it isn't even safe to walk around Busch stadium any more.  Illegals aren't the problem in this case.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:57:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Good!

I hope they have a riot.

Yes, I'm still mad about the World Series.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:58:00 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
can't you just push them all into the miss. river?

good idea

N'awlins is right downstream
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:58:37 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
w00t !!!  First the World Series, and now this!

WE'RE NUMBER 1 !!!  

More seriously - everyone who reads this should remember that those statistics refer to the CITY of St. Louis, which only includes about 300,000 people - out of the 1.5+ million residents of greater St. Louis (i.e. St. Louis county).  I've lived in St. Louis for almost 12 years, and I don't know anyone that lives within the city limits.

I grew up west of STL. Almost no crime.  I spent 6 months working on a site near Chouteau and Grand. What a hell hole. Based on the homes at appears that at one time that area was very nice.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 6:59:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Fear the evil acrh!
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:02:15 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yep...

Memphis "natives" wouldn't have it any other way.

To the OP,

it isn't even safe to walk around Busch stadium any more.  Illegals aren't the problem in this case.

Memphis is one of the few places I have worked where I heard gunfire several times per week.  Saw drug deals nighty and prostitutes work the Hardees parking lot.  

I was working near the Airport off of Winchester.  
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:13:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Back in the late 80's I spent 2 weeks in St. Louis while attending a training seminar. I mentioned to the bartender ( he happened to be black ) I would like to go to a Blues game while I was in town, He told me that even " he " did'nt go downtown St. Louis, too dangerous. I took his advice and sat at the bar instead.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:27:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Further adding: it cannot be stated often enough that unlike the majority of cities in the U.S., St. Louis is in it's own county. NOT St. Louis County. This radically skews the stats., and it is very poor reporting not to mention that fact.

And while we hesitate to mention any particular *cough* culture responsible, MrClean4Hire risks his ARFCOM account to tell the truth.

As those that cause the problems migrate to other areas, such as N. STL County, the crime rate sky rockets.  The area I grew up in is now a clear indication of the effects of the migration.

Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#26]
:wonders how many katrina refugees ended up there:
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:48:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
:wonders how many katrina refugees ended up there:

which is why I seconded the "push 'em into the Mississippi" motion...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:03:25 AM EDT
[#28]
I grew up in North county and quickly saw the area go downhill. After getting out of the Army I moved back just inside of the city limits (dogtown). A while later I hired on with the railroad and worked there for a year.
There are definitely areas of St. Louis where you don't want to go but there are quite a lot of nice and interesting areas also. I first talked to my now fiancee at the City Museum.
Like most places, you just have to know the areas to avoid and maintain situational awareness.

Way to go CARDS.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 8:18:18 AM EDT
[#29]
I've lived in the St. Louis area (admittantly not within city limits) my whole life.

I'm going to stay if Jefferson County for now due to gun laws, but if it wasn't for that I wouldn't hesitate to live almost anywhere south of highway 64. Even in the city.

The south part of St. Louis city has some very nice areas. And south county is great.

I work in extreme north county. There's good and there's bad, but it's not as nice as south county.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#30]
When not in Iraq as a US Army Reservist, I live in the actual City of St. Louis - south side - most of my neighbors are police, fire, teachers other municipal employees, good people all.  My wife takes walks in the evening with nary a care in the world; of course she has two  big dogs and my SIG P239 with her - but that's another story.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 9:43:54 AM EDT
[#31]
As folks already mentioned, there are nice parts of St. Louis City, and bad parts. Unfortunately it seems like the bad parts have been spreading over the years.

With regards to the violent crimes, and in particular murders, most of the 'victims' are not the tax paying kind. Let's call them 'street corner entrepreneurs' for lack of a better term. So those numbers don't mean much if you're a normal citizen. Of course property crime is a big problem there too...
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#32]
I was born and raised in Chesterfield, a suburb of St. Louis.  It's a great area.  The only reason to go downtown was for ball games, though.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#33]
I use to go to Blues games a couple of year ago when they where good and never had a problem. I also go to the supercross race there every year and never had any problems. Dosn't seem to bad to me, way better than Shitcago, heck seems better than Peoria, the crap whole I live in now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top