Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2001 6:21:27 PM EDT
Article from UPI -
Lee Robertson, the project's structural engineer, addressed the problem of terrorism on high-rises at a conference in Frankfurt, Germany, last week, Chicago engineer Joseph Burns told the Chicago Tribune.

Burns said Robertson told the conference, [u]"I designed it for a (Boeing) 707 to hit it."[/u]

"Fire melts steel," Burns told the Tribune, speculating that the impact from the planes had damaged sprinkler systems in both towers.

"You never know in an explosion like that whether they get cut off," Burns said.
View Quote

See rest of story at:
[url]http://www.vny.com/cf/News/upidetail.cfm?QID=219592[/url]

Eric The(Amazed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 6:43:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Both buildings withstood the impact of the crashes. But they could not hold up to temps. of 1500 degrees. Once the upper floors let go it was a house of cards. Even if the sprinklers were working, how many thousands of gal. of ava. gas was burning?
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 6:46:19 PM EDT
[#3]
The terrorists knew the strengths of the buildings, that's why they chose planes larger than 707's, West-coast bound so they'd be full of fuel.  A bomber hit the Empire State Building (1947?), so the scenario of a plane hitting the building would definitely be on the designer's mind
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 6:47:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, there is one quote I am sure he never thought would be put to the test.

Second,I am pretty sure the757s are a much bigger cailber plane than the 707.

Frankly I am amazed they didn't collapse instantly.

Zaz
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 7:08:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Your title says 747, yet the article says (correctly, I believe,) 707. WTF?
There is a hell of a difference between the two.
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Sorry for the misidentification! I hope YOU don't think it intentional, now, do you?

Eric The(Apologetic)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#7]
No problem :-)
Link Posted: 9/11/2001 7:22:13 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a3b9e9dd8152e.htm[/url]
Towers Hit At Vulnerable Points
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top