Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2006 8:33:20 AM EDT
For example, can gun makers simply refuse to sell to anyone in California?

I know Ronnie Barrat has refused, but if the other makers decided to follow suit, can they be forced to sell to CA?
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:35:09 AM EDT
[#1]

Unless it violates the Civil Rights Act (i.e. if you decide to refuse business to a particular class, and you fall into the kind of business regulated by the act), I don't think there is anything illegal about choosing what markets you want to sell your products in.

Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:51:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I've told people that I wasn't gonna be able to take care of them and asked them to please leave my shop...

Now whether the shareholders will allow a corp to do so or not is something I don't know...
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:53:58 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
For example, can gun makers simply refuse to sell to anyone in California?

I know Ronnie Barrat has refused, but if the other makers decided to follow suit, can they be forced to sell to CA?

Barrett has only refused to sell or service California law enforcement/government.

They still actively pursue the civilian market, just not in .50bmg caliber.

spelling
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#4]
You can refuse to do business with anyone unless its something special or a monopoly.

If you make a special medicine that only your company makes and no one else can or does, they can force you to sell to them.  They will have to pay what others are paying.   But if its not a life threatening or essential for life or health no they cant make you do squat.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Think Slick 50. Dupont holds the patent on teflon,and makes no such claims about what it will do for longevity of engines,they are forced to sell teflon to the "Slick 50 folks".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top