Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 9:21:01 AM EDT
for use in northern/northeastern Africa on a budget of around $2500-$3000, what would you build?  Model? Caliber? Optics? Accessories? Why?

ETA: the Africa specification has to do with climate; something that could hack it in jungle or desert.

ETA again: One BATTLE rifle
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:27:12 AM EDT
[#1]
.460 Wby mag on an enfield action.
Or a 500 Jeffries on a Mag Mauser action.
Or a .375 H&H on a Enfield or mag Mauser action.
For all I would use Tally quick release rings dovetailed to the Quarter rib, with a Leupold scout scope. 2 leaf express sights with front flip up lo-light sight.

The .375 H&H will do it for most game. And the less recoil of the 3..

ETA: Well shit.. never mind then....
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#2]
30-06
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
.375 Weatherby with a brake and a 3X Leupold scope, since that's what I have.

ETA:  Good for combat or hunting critters - hairy and hairless bears.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:29:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
for use in northern/northeastern Africa

We talking hunting?  People? Radar guns for doing research on the speed of antalope?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
for use in northern/northeastern Africa

We talking hunting?  People? Radar guns for doing research on the speed of antalope?

Thanks; clarified
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]

For my use or a typical north/northeast african's use?  If it's the latter than save yourself the time, effort and money and get an AK.  Won't be hard, there's only like a gazillion of them on the continent.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:34:40 AM EDT
[#7]
.308, a FAL, or even a G3 with a good scope. Have it duracoated or some other rust inhibitor, even a M-14 would be good

ETA also plenty of AKs to be had on the 'Sub' Continent

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:35:21 AM EDT
[#8]
M14 with a nice scope is all I need.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:37:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I would be so scared shitless going into combat my rifle would be the least of my worries.  So probably any rifle that carried lots of rounds and didnt mind being neglected for a few days as I cry myself to sleep each night.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:40:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Accurized G3 with optics.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:41:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:42:31 AM EDT
[#12]
A 16 in, chrome lined, medium contour, suppresser capable, ar15.  Suppressor is more for aimed night shots, so I don't go around giving away my position.  railed forearm, carbine length.  Knights VFG, surefire G2.  EOtech or ACOG.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#13]
silenced .22
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I would buy a Romanian AK with 6 mags and 200 rounds of ammo. I would use it to provide security for myself to get to the airport. Then I would use the other $2,500 to buy a ticket out of frekin' Africa.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:45:05 AM EDT
[#15]
FAL Para
18-inch Barrel with ACOG and CAN

or a

M-249 with ACOG and Can

or a

Krink and can
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:46:08 AM EDT
[#16]
get both...... wait.....  what?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
M14 with a nice scope is all I need.

+1 I'll take a Fulton Armory
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I would buy a Romanian AK with 6 mags and 200 rounds of ammo. I would use it to provide security for myself to get to the airport. Then I would use the other $2,500 to buy a ticket out of frekin' Africa.

Best reply so far.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#19]
M60E4 with shitloads of ammo.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:56:50 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
M60E4 with shitloads of ammo.
and a nice Eotech.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 9:59:23 AM EDT
[#21]
For $2500-3000? I'd get ohh... two AK's and enough ammo and mags to fill the rest of it up. North Africa is pretty extreme, I'd want something that I can throw a cup of sand in and operate still.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:00:01 AM EDT
[#22]
FAL
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:01:04 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

+ eleventy billion
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:01:58 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
for use in northern/northeastern Africa on a budget of around $2500-$3000, what would you build?  Model? Caliber? Optics? Accessories? Why?

ETA: the Africa specification has to do with climate; something that could hack it in jungle or desert.

A whole lot of info needed is missing:

What am I doing in the turd world: Recon,Traveling,Starting my own millita,ect

First of all solo comabt with hundreds of muslims all fucked up on what ever the drug de jour   is not my idea of something that will add years to your life.

So with no info here we go:

-300 AK picked up localy (Select fire)
-100 (8 mags+ammo)
-100 Frags
-1200 PVS-14 pickecd up stateside
-1000 (Pay locals so I have a fireteam at my bidding)
-200 Beer and Ice
100 Burial money

Nevermind!!!!

Shit for 3k in Africa you can have a platoon sized force to do you shooting for you!
Thats the smart move I would always keep a rifle on hand in case my locals missed a few straggelers I would get the brightest christian males that i could find and pay them very well...

I would equip my rag tag millita as follows:

8 Men in 2 4man units

1 autorifleman   rpk
2 riflemen   ak's one with rpg other carrys extra drums for rpk
1 fireteam leader  ak , radio,nvg

all carry grenades and smoke basicly your standard load out for any infantry unit

I would train them in fire to manuvure, and we would bound in hasty 180's and walk over any shitheel locals thus replinishing the $ and winning the hearts and minds of the locals and busting the thugs balls

I would carry a krink body armor and a radio to direct my band of merrymen
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Supposedly you can trade an AK for a chicken in Africa.

So I'd buy $3000 worth of chickens.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:15:23 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

OK, here's some more clarification.  A rifle to build and take with you to Africa, mainly for self-defense, but that can take a beating.  Ammo cost is not a factor for this little exercise.

Say the scenario is you have to be over there for 3-4 months and want to take along a rifle in case some "Tears of the Sun"-esque situation arises.  IE, you in the position of the doctor or missionaries with no Bruce Willis and SEAL team on call.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:16:55 AM EDT
[#27]
16" 6.5 Grendel with ACOG.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

That was my first thought
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Seriously, if it were me, I'd opt for a 16-18 inch AR chambered in 6.8.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK, here's some more clarification.  A rifle to build and take with you to Africa, mainly for self-defense, but that can take a beating.  Ammo cost is not a factor for this little exercise.

Say the scenario is you have to be over there for 3-4 months and want to take along a rifle in case some "Tears of the Sun"-esque situation arises.  IE, you in the position of the doctor or missionaries with no Bruce Willis and SEAL team on call.

see my post on page one, unless you have men to fight with you... it matters not if you have a minigun you are goingto get raped and beheaded unless you can have supporting  fire
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:24:10 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

First of all solo comabt with hundreds of muslims all fucked up on what ever the drug de jour   is not my idea of something that will add years to your life.

-100 (8 mags+ammo)
-100 Frags
-200 Beer and Ice
100 Burial money

Nevermind!!!!

Shit for 3k in Africa you can have a platoon sized force to do you shooting for you!
Thats the smart move I would always keep a rifle on hand in case my locals missed a few straggelers I would get the brightest christian males that i could find and pay them very well...

8 Men in 2 4man units

1 autorifleman   rpk

all carry grenades and smoke basicly your standard load out for any infantry unit

I would train them in fire to manuvure, and we would bound in hasty 180's and walk over any shitheel locals thus replinishing the $ and winning the hearts and minds of the locals and busting the thugs balls

I like this guy.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Going in an official capacity - as security for a company, or military contractors - or going alone, for a private trip?

Because if it is the latter, then you better brng tons of money to bribe the customs guys, and still be prepared to spend the rest of your life rotting in an African jail (the last place in the world you want to be!!) when they find an AR or AK in your luggage.  

For the money a good quality rifle and optics would cost in the U.S. you could just hire local muscle and drivers while you are there.  Much more practical and lower risk. (The only problem of course is finding bodyguards that wont turn on you and kill you for your money. )

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:31:52 AM EDT
[#33]
A whole shit load of FALs.(!)
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:32:08 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

-100 (8 mags+ammo)
-100 Frags
-200 Beer and Ice
100 Burial money

Nevermind!!!!

8 Men in 2 4man units

1 autorifleman   rpk

I like this guy.

I have been there done that in  Africa, it is the only way to go.  You can get the equilevent of a US SWAT team to drive you and lay down the lead if need be for about $150-200USD per day.  For that kind of coin they are loyal so long as Allah don't come into the picture. It would be stupid to buy anything in the US when you can pick up whatever you may need localy with the exception of NVG+some electronics

Also if you are serious about going to africa rent the following movies:
Hotel Rawanda
Zulu
Blackhawk Down
Cry Freetown

then get back to me if you think one rifle will make a difference.

Serioulsy if you are going to africa alone and are not planning onpicking up some locals your best bet is a sidearm so you can end it before you get raped and head sawn off
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:36:51 AM EDT
[#35]
My cousin and her husband lived in Africa for several years.  He said the same thing.  My cousin had a driver that stayed with her all the times.  Her husband would hire folks when the SHTF (several coups).  His hired guns would negotiate with the thugs or soldiers that came by and money was paid.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top