Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2006 1:22:12 AM EDT
This is for a non arfcom friend. He thinks his series 181 Mini 14 rear sighsucks,sloppy,lousey sight picture as compared to my AR and M-14 and i agree.  
any suggetions on a better sight?     thanks
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:24:23 AM EDT
[#1]
man, I don't think better sights will help
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

waht aer yuo sugjesting?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:29:38 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't own either but have shot both.

Suggest a platform on which he likes and go for that rifle type, trading in his Mini in the process for a little bit of boot.

Lifes too short for a shitty sight picture.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:40:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

waht aer yuo sugjesting?

my god you must be trashed cheers

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 1:55:44 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
This is for a non arfcom friend. He thinks his series 181 Mini 14 rear sighsucks,sloppy,lousey sight picture as compared to my AR and M-14 and i agree.  

Tell him to get the new ruger factory 580 series ghost ring sights. +1
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:12:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Peep sight at bottom of page

Click the link and look at the last three things on the page.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 2:25:14 AM EDT
[#7]
I love it when a plan comes together.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:26:16 AM EDT
[#8]
It's not just the sight, the whole damn gun sucks.  Recommended solution, trade it for an AR-15.

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:37:53 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Lifes too short for a shitty sight picture.

What a great sig line!  
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#10]
You should change the title to MINI 14 Sucks and I wish I hadn't wasted my money.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I replaced mine with a $4 Ram-Line buckhorn sight.  Considerably better than the factory peep.  These used to be sold at practically every gunshow, back when the Mini-14 actually was held in esteem.  Nowadays, you hardly ever see Mini-14 accessories for sale anywhere.

And yes, the factory rear peep is worthless.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:42:45 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Trade it for an AR15
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 5:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

duh
who doesn't know this?
maybe he confused the mini-14 with the M14
not the same thing.

tell him to dump the mini and get  M14/M1A
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:59:57 AM EDT
[#14]
My Mini-14GB rear sights both have slop.  Must be typical of that era Mini-14.  They are still "minute of urban pest" accurate.  Somone made a nice replacement rear sight...I bought one and still have it.  Doesn't fit the GB model as the front sight on the GB is too low.  Just for the record, I like my AR's far better.  Got the GB's in the mid-80's before I knew better.

dvo

edit to add that the replacement rear sight is by Millett (mentioned above).  Nice sight.  Should work OK with a standard Mini, but not the Government Barrel (GB) model.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:02:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

waht aer yuo sugjesting?

my god you must be trashed cheers

Nah, just a too-subtle comment on some of the spelling in the first post.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

C'mon now, there's only two things wrong with a Mini 14 - the part in front of the rear sight, and the part behind the rear sight.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#17]
Williams Sight Co. makes a drop-in for both the normal Mini-14 and the Ranch model.  I think they run around $40.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 10:58:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Williams rear sight or modify an M1 Carbine rear sight. There is a how to out there, so search Google, I don't like spreading another site over arfcom or others.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

You would know, you put thousands of rounds through one and hit jack shit.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Come on, stop busting on the Mini14. I've got one behind a bedroom door for a HD gun. I don't remember which bedroom or which door but its still there. I think.

rk
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:38:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have put thousands of rounds through a couple of them and everyone I've fired I liked and I shoot very well thank you my father uses one for self defense because he wants something out to 100yds with a straight stock, it fits the bill very nicely. I was jokeing, but the fact is the rifle when the Bbl gets hot doesn't hold moa groups but it shoots well enouph to get the job done. If you want better sights for it get an eotech, or aimpoint
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#22]
XS sight systems lists a ghost ring in the brownells catalog. 006-103-015. Runs 20 bucks. I had one on a mini 14 I had. Yes I had one, there I admited it. But I sold it off and used the funds for a CMP Garand so there!
The sight is better than the factory one.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have put thousands of rounds through a couple of them and everyone I've fired I liked and I shoot very well thank you my father uses one for self defense because he wants something out to 100yds with a straight stock, it fits the bill very nicely. I was jokeing, but the fact is the rifle when the Bbl gets hot doesn't hold moa groups but it shoots well enouph to get the job done. If you want better sights for it get an eotech, or aimpoint

I bet the same people trashing the Mini-14 because of its accuracy sing the praises of their Romanian parts franken-faux-AK that is certainly no more if as accurate.

The Mini-14 is a reliable rifle of acceptable accuracy, in the same ball park as most AK clones… tack drivers they are not but they were never intended to be tack drivers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:44:03 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bet the same people trashing the Mini-14 because of its accuracy sing the praises of their Romanian parts franken-faux-AK that is certainly no more if as accurate.

The Mini-14 is a reliable rifle of acceptable accuracy, in the same ball park as most AK clones… tack drivers they are not but they were never intended to be tack drivers.

But here is the kicker: Yes AK's are not all that accurate, but much of it has to do not only it's design but it's most popular CALIBER, 7.62x39. A .223 is an inheritly accurate cartridge, and the Mini-14 makes it shoot slingshot quality groups. Name me one other mass produced .223 caliber rifle with this poor of accuracy. You can't because even the cheap Romanian SAR3 rifles will outshoot them. I have agood friend that has an SAR3 that would out shoot my long gone Ruger any day of the  week. I know my SLR105 in 5.45 will outshoot the Ruger. I have had a couple of Mini's and 15 years ago I spent enough money to burn a wet mule on one to try get it to shoot decent to no avail. When a 20" AR with iron sights outshoots a modified Mini14 with a good scope and mounts at 100 yards it is all the proof you need. Stop, do not spend any more money on it, as it won't get any better. I learned from experience. I love 10/22's, Blackhawks, and Mark 2's but a Mini-14 is a horrible value in a modern firearm for what you get for the money. Ruger makes some great guns but Mini's & their P series just plain suck. It amazes me that they are even still made. I make no apologies for my Ruger bashing as my wallet was raped by a Mini14 that was the firearm industry's Ford Pinto.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 11:55:42 AM EDT
[#25]
I own both a mini 14 and an ar15. In my expierence the ar is much more accurate with iron sights than the mini is with the scope. The ar is also much more fun to shoot, and I can pick up quality magazines much cheaper for the AR. I have also had the expierence that the barrel heats up very quickly and my groups get even worse, 2 in groups at 25 yards is unacceptable.
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:00:46 PM EDT
[#26]
XS ghost ring with a choate front sight it makes a world of difference, i got one on mine an i love it. It aint as accurate as my AR but it sure as hell is alot lighter and handier. I too use it for HD. Its also very fun to shoot and is pretty good at popping clays
Link Posted: 8/26/2006 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#27]
Be aware that the Mini-14 was not meant to be a tack driver, just a regular everday bang-around gun.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top