Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 6:00:58 PM EDT
I have a mole that is tearing up my lawn, do these things work or are they a gimmick.

www2.northerntool.com/product-1/8216.htm
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Get a good cat. Ours catches them and leaves them on the porch all the time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are getting visible hump tracks in the lawn, the guillotine things work great

I wasn't, with VOLES invading my backyard - finally took me over 400 lbs of concrete mix down the holes

The vibe things helped a bit, but didn't stop the voles
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:36:09 PM EDT
[#4]
how about a heavy gas?

Perhaps pack all the holes you can find with dry ice.

As it sublimates it becomes carbon dioxide.

May drive it out enough to trap it or, if you happen to be at the right place/right time, you can take it out with a .22 (or similar)
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:37:16 PM EDT
[#5]
What has worked for me is using my tiller and taking the muffler off, puting a section of 1/2" pipe and adding some flex conduit and sticking the free end in the tunnel and letting it run for about 20 minutes.

Gasses them dead.

However, explosives would be more fun
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:37:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#7]
There's a product called the Rodex. Basicaly floods the hole with propane, you hit the clicker and no more underground critters. Sure, a fuel air explosion isn't *technically* non explosive, but it is legal!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:39:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Aluminum Phosphate.

Well, I forget what the name of the shit is, but thats the active ingrediant.  Its a pill form pesticide? that reacts with water to poison the hole of burrowing vermin, or area denial in closed ( and uninhabited) spaces.  With moderate humidity, the pill can work over the course of several months. In damp soil, in reacts quicker, however Im not sure how much faster...

Go to a feed store and see what they have.  You *might* have to fill out some paper work crap, to make sure you aren't going to gas a day care or something... Im not sure.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:39:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Road flares?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Dermatologist?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:42:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have a mole that is tearing up my lawn, do these things work or are they a gimmick.

www2.northerntool.com/product-1/8216.htm

I don't know if those electronic gadgets work or not, but these little babies sure do.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I usally wack um with the  padded club that comes attached to their holes
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
They don't work any better than "ultra-sonic mosquito repellers" or "ultra-sonic horny teenager repellent for daughters."

You can do one of two things--get rid of the grubs they eat or kill them with a Victor spear-type trap.  

If you go with the trap you need to hit ebay for the older type.  The new ones are cheaply made and don't work well.  Technique is everything so if you choose the trap method (best, BTW) IM me for tips on how to get them.  It's actually fun.  

I bought one of the spear traps at home depot, I just can't get the damn thing.I put it out two night's now.
IM sent for any tips
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:50:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
There's a product called the Rodex. Basicaly floods the hole with propane, you hit the clicker and no more underground critters. Sure, a fuel air explosion isn't *technically* non explosive, but it is legal!

holy shit that sounds cool. I want moles now, just so i can napalm their asses!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:58:57 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I just googled that , sounded good but they are out of business
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#16]
.22 loaded with snakeshot, suppressor.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:06:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:13:32 PM EDT
[#18]
AR-15
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:14:37 PM EDT
[#19]
No explosives......... Nevermind then
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:27:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Just like woodpeckers usually only put holes in trees with termites,  "mole sign" is often times and indicator you have grubs, and your grass is being eaten away from underneath.

Whenver I see moles, I do nothing about it except spend a ton of money on Grub-ex to kill what they're eating and save my lawn.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:32:42 PM EDT
[#21]
I work on a golf course with a lot of moles.

We have started  using these with better than moderate talpirid mole bait

Traps work, but must have good skillz to set the traps in the right place/orientation.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:35:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Dermatologist?

Thats what I thought. Or a sharp razor
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:48:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Juciy fruit chewing gum.... I'm not kidding.

Find a fresh tunnel, one that looks like it's currently in use (wear rubber gloves for this part) wad up about a quater stick of gum.  Drop it down in the tunnel and carefully replace the sod over the top.  ( a square point sharpshooter shovel works well to cut and lift the sod)  Moles are attracted to the flavor/smell and eat the gum..... problem is they can't digest it.  It gives them a real killer of a constipation problem and their toast.  Although not as quick and  exciting as some other things, it is effective.  

The traps also work sometimes.... some moles seem to know to avoid it, so I guess it only works on "dumb" ones.Killing grubs can help but recent studies done at some Univeristy (can't remember which one) indicate that earth worms are a big part of moles diet and so killing the grubs isn't all it's been cracked up to be. It certainly is better for your lawn to kill the grubs as they  kill the grass by destroying the root system but don't count on it to be effective for mole control.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:10:22 PM EDT
[#24]
On our course, it's the earth worms they're after.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#25]
I have heard broken glass in the hole works... I just used the mole bombs (more like a smoke bomb) and havnt seen a new mound yet
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:21:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Find a fresh tunnel, one that looks like it's currently in use (wear rubber gloves for this part) wad up about a quater stick of gum.  Drop it down in the tunnel and carefully replace the sod over the top.  ( a square point sharpshooter shovel works well to cut and lift the sod)  Moles are attracted to the flavor/smell and eat the gum..... problem is they can't digest it.  It gives them a real killer of a constipation problem and their toast.  Although not as quick and  exciting as some other things, it is effective.  

The traps also work sometimes.... some moles seem to know to avoid it, so I guess it only works on "dumb" ones.

Killing grubs can help but recent studies done at some Univeristy (can't remember which one) indicate that earth worms are a big part of moles diet and so killing the grubs isn't all it's been cracked up to be. It certainly is better for your lawn to kill the grubs as they  kill the grass by destroying the root system but don't count on it to be effective for mole control.

Death by not taking a crap? Worst way to die, ever.

I can only imagine the swollen collon on that mollen. Mole.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#27]
As I remember, there is also an animals urine (fox?) that you can purchase and pour around/in the access holes.  

Anyone else verify this?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:25:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The traps also work sometimes.... some moles seem to know to avoid it, so I guess it only works on "dumb" ones.

Killing grubs can help but recent studies done at some Univeristy (can't remember which one) indicate that earth worms are a big part of moles diet and so killing the grubs isn't all it's been cracked up to be. It certainly is better for your lawn to kill the grubs as they  kill the grass by destroying the root system but don't count on it to be effective for mole control.

Death by not taking a crap? Worst way to die, ever.

I can only imagine the swollen collon on that mollen. Mole.

Yeah.... I doubt this method is PETA approved.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:31:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Here is a pretty good link I pulled from the University of Missouri.

muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/wildlife/g09440.htm
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:37:59 PM EDT
[#30]
Good dog or even a hunting cat will kill them.  Dogs will dig them up, so you'll have a few extra holes before they are through.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:52:11 PM EDT
[#31]
My neighbor put Juicey Fruit Gum with the wrappers split lengthwise, down into the holes
rodents must have ate it and died due to digestive problems cause the mole problem stoped
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:55:23 PM EDT
[#32]
This is how my father in law taught me to take care of them.  It works.

Find where they have a fresh burrow going.  Go out at noon (actually when the sun is straght up).  Stand quietly by the run with a shovel or pitchfork.  Watch for movement.  THey are most active this time of day.  When you see movement insert digging tool and flip the mole out.  Dispatch mole.

It really works.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I used something called mole candy, available at most hardware stores. It comes in a cone shaped container, you poke a hole in the run and add several of the pellets. This seems to have done the trick as I have not been able to find any new runs since.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:15:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to try the gum and also some poision.
I have one trap out there tonight but so far in the past two days I haven't got the bastard yet.I figure with all three methods I will get him. I'm on a mission now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top