Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 4:28:38 PM EDT
I have a shit load of Aligatoring paint I need to remove from the house.  Its just weak enough to Aligator, but strong enough to be hard to remove.   Putty knife is Slowwww going, and the scraper is even slower.  I need to get this done before winter.  WHat is the best way to get this stuff off quick, and not kill anybody?  Primarily me.  

This is wood and some kind of Fiber board lookin siding. So please dont get me to burn the house down, or some shit.  What do I gotta do?  And yes I can post pictures.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:29:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Pressure washer.  BTDT

ETA

YIKES!  I just realized that you are talking about Masonite siding. You don't want to pressure wash that stuff.  It would be like pressure washing dried mud. Soon you would be seeing insulation and studs.  Tear that shit off and have the house covered with something that isn't cardboard!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:36:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:14:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Pressure washer.  BTDT

ETA

YIKES!  I just realized that you are talking about Masonite siding. You don't want to pressure wash that stuff.  It would be like pressure washing dried mud. Soon you would be seeing insulation and studs.  Tear that shit off and have the house covered with something that isn't cardboard!

I would love to tear that shit off, but the whole reason I am doing this myself is I dont have lots of cash to blow right now.  What kinda numbers am I lookin at to re-side a house per SQF?  Doesnt sound cheap though.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I didn't think anyone failed to use a pressure washer these days.  It's the ONLY way.  Anything it doesn't blast off is stuck good enough to be painted over.  

I hope you are right.  I did a test spray on the wood section, at 1400 psi, and it didnt make a dent in the paint.  If that means its good to go, then I am thrilled.  But it was my understanding, that aligatored paint needed to be knocked down to bare wood, before it was sound to paint.  Anyone else heard that or am I wrong.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Depends what you re-side it with.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I replaced about 200 sq ft of pine shiplap on my old house.  It was expensive! You could purchase an M82 and several boxes of ammo for what it would cost to re-side with pine.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:36:06 PM EDT
[#8]
A belt sander with coarse paper works wonders.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:44:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

That's what I was going to suggest given the info provided.  I've never done it, but I don't see how it do any damage unless you get crazy with it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
[
If it is that Masonite crap there is no way to get paint to stick to it beyond a year or two.  

Vinyl siding is cheap if you can install it yourself.  If you can take sustenance you can install it yourself, assuming you have the time and understand the basics.  HANG it, don't nail it down--stuff like that.

It is that Masonite shit.    Now I gotta figure out what to do about it.  Vinyl sounds good, but this needs to be done in a few months.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's what I was going to suggest given the info provided.  I've never done it, but I don't see how it do any damage unless you get crazy with it.

Im willing to try it, if thats the best option.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If the whole house needs sanding you could re-side it four times in the time it will take to hit it all with a belt sander.  I hope you're a weight lifter.  

Not a weight lifter.  How does this Vinyl go on over lap siding?  Or do you have to tear off, and start from scratch?  My fear is, if I tear off the masonite, then there is nothing under there but studs.  Then I have to sheath and wrap the house, before siding it.  And that is definately not cheap.  It would be a great finish result, but Id need to save up before tackling it.  

Thanks for the advice.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 7:42:25 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If the whole house needs sanding you could re-side it four times in the time it will take to hit it all with a belt sander.  I hope you're a weight lifter.  

Not a weight lifter.  How does this Vinyl go on over lap siding?  Or do you have to tear off, and start from scratch?  My fear is, if I tear off the masonite, then there is nothing under there but studs.  Then I have to sheath and wrap the house, before siding it.  And that is definately not cheap.  It would be a great finish result, but Id need to save up before tackling it.  

Thanks for the advice.

Well, I'm no expert, but the right way to do it is to tear it off and resheath, using Tyvek over the sheeting.  I have seen it done with lathe strips nailed on vertically over the siding.  It's a crappy way to do it but it does work and can produce an acceptable appearance.  

Thanks, youve been a tremendous help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top