Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 4:47:20 PM EDT
My dog hates having his toe nails cut. He freaks out as soon as the clippers touch his nails. I thought maybe he was afraid of the clippers, but holding them near he doesn't react at all. As soon as they touch his nails though he decides he has better things to do elsewhere.  

Any tricks to getting him to lay there and take it....other than me sitting on him?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:49:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of treats.  My yellow Lab will let you cut her nails for treats.  My Boxer will let you cut his nails for treats.  My black Lab disliked getting his nails cut so much that now he "clips" his own nails with his teeth!  We haven't had to trim our black Lab's nails in a couple of years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I get my dog's nails trimmed at the vet during checkups.  Also, look into the cordless dremmel tools for sanding rather than clipping...it is what a lot of the showdogs get.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#3]
don't cut a big trunk. try do a bit at a time. and make sure don't clip on the meat part of the toe. that's #1 reason, probably you clip on his toe meat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:51:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Man my lab was like that too. I have a Dog whisperer for a kennel / grooming owner who is near my house. I pay $15 per dog, and Bleaux relaxes with him. He may just not want you to cut his nails. You are his alfa Spelling Natzi ALPHA.

I never could type well.....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:56:47 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I get my dog's nails trimmed at the vet during checkups.  Also, look into the cordless dremmel tools for sanding rather than clipping...it is what a lot of the showdogs get.

I had forgotten all about the dremel.  That is how we used to trim our first Boxer's nails.  That way there are no jagged edges and you can go slow and not cut the "quick".  The smell however, is not pleasant.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
My Boxer hates it too.  

I pretty much sit on her to get it done.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#7]
When my Pit was a pup, my son cut her nails too short. Ever since then, she freaks if you get anywhere near her with the clippers. Even after a healthy dose of doggy-downers from the vet she STILL wouldn't let me clip them.

The vet finally told me to leave her alone...she'll take care of them herself. And sure enough, she bites her nails and keeps them fairly short on her own.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Dremel?  When the dog freaks out about getting non descript clippers near their feet?

My Doberman is the SAME way.  What I found is, have you/someone they trust do the nail cutting (in this case, my mom, as she has a ton of practice) and feed the dog peanut butter off a spoon.  If you get someone good, they should be able to do all 4 paws in 90-120 seconds, more than enough to keep a dog occupied with peanut butter.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:01:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Play with their toes and toenails frequently.. Saying " pretty toes" or something similar..

I am not kidding!! Vet told me this... And it worked on this monster...*****

***** Does NOT help keep toes off the trigger though
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:03:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dremel?  When the dog freaks out about getting non descript clippers near their feet?

My Doberman is the SAME way.  What I found is, have you/someone they trust do the nail cutting (in this case, my mom, as she has a ton of practice) and feed the dog peanut butter off a spoon.  If you get someone good, they should be able to do all 4 paws in 90-120 seconds, more than enough to keep a dog occupied with peanut butter.

It doesn't make sense that the dog would allow the dremel but not the clippers, but that's the way my first Boxer was.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Dog people

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:05:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Man my lab was like that too. I have a Dog whisperer for a kennel / grooming owner who is near my house. I pay $15 per dog, and Bleaux relaxes with him. He may just not want you to cut his nails. You are his alfa.

I believe it's Alpha...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:09:19 PM EDT
[#13]
+1 on the dremel....but one of my dogs hates it just as much

taking long walks on pavement is the best bet
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:20:49 PM EDT
[#14]
1.  Play fetch or jog on concrete.
2.  Use a file for about five minutes a day till they are the right length.  Just a few passes at a time.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
don't cut a big trunk. try do a bit at a time. and make sure don't clip on the meat part of the toe. that's #1 reason, probably you clip on his toe meat.

I don't know what to say about that one, but it definitely was funny.

As for the dog, get out the clippers, make the dog lay down, pretend to cut the dogs nails. All the while give him treats. After a few times of doing this he should be calm. At that point start cutting a little bit of the nail (be careful not to cut the toe meat)

Then do a little more each day or so making sure to give a lot of "good boys" and treats
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:26:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It doesn't make sense that the dog would allow the dremel but not the clippers, but that's the way my first Boxer was.

It's the noise that does it.  The dremel sounds alot more threatening than a stealthy nail clipper.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I have to sedate one of my dogs to clip his nails.  He has a comlpete panic attack when I try to do it and it becomes dangerous for the both of us so I dont have a choice.  So every 6-8 weeks he has a "happy" day and his nails get clipped.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:01:06 PM EDT
[#18]
hahaha...how much does that 'happy day' cost daddy?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:01:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Play with their toes and toenails frequently.. Saying " pretty toes" or something similar..

I am not kidding!!

I have never been more disturbed... never more concerned for Arfcom in general as I am this night.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:02:13 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I've never cut too far down on his nails before. He is almost a year old and just has never liked having his nails clipped.

I tried the peanut butter trick, but that didn't work. He just ran away with a mouthful of peanut butter

I will try playing with his toes and feeding him treats.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the noise that does it.  The dremel sounds alot more threatening than a stealthy nail clipper.

I completely understood what you were saying.  I was just pointing out that your experience doesn't apply to all dogs.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:46:57 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a bunch of sled dogs that had to have their nails kept
short for their job.

Grab them, cut them, and let them get over their trauma.

Their feelings were hurt for all of five minutes and then they would
go back to thinking how their stomachs could get full or how
they could put their dicks to good use.

GM
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#23]
It's trauma from painful trimming when a puppy.  Most of the resistance is from the dog feeling betrayed by someone in his "pack".  Let the groomer do it. While you wait outside.  

It is really a small ideosyncracy. A few bucks is a small price to pay to preserve the relationship you have with the dog.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:12:17 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Dremel ='s HEAT, bad idea,, would be worse than a 1 second clip. Be ready with the nail clipper and have someone continue to give treats and talk to him/her and all should go well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top