Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 4:24:39 PM EDT
I have Yellow jackets that have taken up refuge under my concrete pad next to the garage. Thus far I have tried, acetone, commercial wasp spray, and now I just dumped granular chlorine and water in there. Still they keep coming. It's been three weeks now and I'm really getting sick of them. My dog got stung twice, don't know if you have ever seen a basset  hound stung, but it ain't pretty, she cried for over an hour.

I tired to Google ways to kill them but I keep getting this foo foo don't harm nature BS. Screw that, if it was not so close to the garage  I'd dump gas and light. So in short of nuking them from orbit, do you guys have any ideas on how to get rid of the bastards.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:27:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Gasoline
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Gasoline

Gas them at night, it will work.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
KTWF .......
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:35:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Gasoline

Yes yes, kill them with fire, and lots of it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:40:01 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't even need the fire, just gas them at night when they are all there.  Fumes might bother you....but they will kill them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I have Yellow jackets that have taken up refuge under my concrete pad next to the garage. Thus far I have tried, acetone, commercial wasp spray, and now I just dumped granular chlorine and water in there. Still they keep coming. It's been three weeks now and I'm really getting sick of them. My dog got stung twice, don't know if you have ever seen a basset  hound stung, but it ain't pretty, she cried for over an hour.

I tired to Google ways to kill them but I keep getting this foo foo don't harm nature BS. Screw that, if it was not so close to the garage  I'd dump gas and light. So in short of nuking them from orbit, do you guys have any ideas on how to get rid of the bastards.

I'd dump the gas into it late at night and have some of that spray in instant foam to seal the entrance good.  Cover the area with the kill-bug-dust and hope they die.  Watch out though for an extra entrance.  No need to light it, gasoline kills those bastards DRT if they contact it and the fumes will get 'em too.   God I hate those fuckers.  

Also....  Don't carry a light when you go to do this.  Wow, do they love lights at night.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Diazanon if you still have any of it around. If they are in the ground use the powder/sawdust stuff. block the hole with it and make a lil mound. They will dig it out but spread it around the nest doing it and it's finis.

A diazanon drench works well also and presents no ignition problem.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Brake cleaner- it's deadlier than Raid to wasps. Cheaper, too.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Diazanon if you still have any of it around. If they are in the ground use the powder/sawdust stuff. block the hole with it and make a lil mound. They will dig it out but spread it around the nest doing it and it's finis.

A diazanon drench works well also and presents no ignition problem.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Moth balls alot of them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:08:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:54:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Hornet spray, get them before sunrise or just after sunset. At these times they are all in the nest and you will get all of them at once.

Last summer here was lousy for them, I got stung more times in 3 months than in the previous 36 years of life!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:12:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Hire a professinal and let someone else deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
I have had luck with borax.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I like to use Spectracide Pro*get at home depot*Wasp & Hornet Killer.I get them all the time, making nests in my wood siding on my house.This stuff has some dielectric breakdown voltage of 47,3000 volts.Works great.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#19]
If you want to know how to get stung, I can help. Otherwise....
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:01:29 PM EDT
[#20]
1+
with a shovel in the pm
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:05:56 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
1+
with a shovel in the pm

CHLORINATED brake cleaner.

non flammable, and infinitely more toxic to bugs.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Yes, no one said NUKE THEM FROM ORBIT YET!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I like to use Spectracide Pro*get at home depot*Wasp & Hornet Killer.I get them all the time, making nests in my wood siding on my house.This stuff has some dielectric breakdown voltage of 47,3000 volts.Works great.

I bought some of that too and pardon my ignorance but what does "dielectric breakdown voltage of 47,3000 volts" mean in regard to wasps?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:13:52 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought some of that too and pardon my ignorance but what does "dielectric breakdown voltage of 47,3000 volts" mean in regard to wasps?

It means you can spray it on power lines with little worry of getting yourself zapped.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#25]

^ You should try that.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:21:42 PM EDT
[#26]
What I just did that seems to have worked is put use a road flare underneath the concrete and cover the entrance with sand. My nest was three feet from my front door under the sidewalk.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:21:52 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If you want to know how to get stung, I can help. Otherwise....

Same here. Got stung again sunday.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:22:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Weird.  I have the same situation.  They're under my cement pad near the garage door and come out of the crack.  I didn't know they were there and got stung once on the ankle.  

SOB!

I took pleasure WD40'ing their asses one by one as they flew back in.  Really F's them up quick.  I had a nice pile of bodies.  

At least WD40 is good for something.  WASP-Displacement Formula 40.  

LOL.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:25:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Get a pitcher of water, mix in a lot of liquid dishwashing detergent (like Dawn).  Throw it on the nest.   You will be amazed at how quickly they die.  It is unbelivable.  The soapy water coats them and suffocates them almost instantly.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#30]
When I had bee problems in the walls of my house, I eliminated them with a hoover upright.

I wonder what would happen if you wheeled a shop-vac over to the hole and just shoved the nozzle in and then turned the vacuum on?

I'm thinking that they will get angry and investigate.  By the time they get close to it - it's too late for them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:39:16 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't try gasoline, brake cleaner or anything other than insecticide. Wasp spray is designed to kill wasps and other flying pests. If the gas/brake cleaner remedied worked better than insecticides I would use them instead of pesticides. I have had training and have a license because it isn't as simple as pouring gasoline in a hole- and using gasoline for anything other than making your truck go is dangerous.

Buy a can of wasp and hornet spray. I like using the kind that foams up since it has a better residual. Under a slab the more liquid form might soak intot he dirt before killing the wasps. Go after them in either early morning or late evening when they have returned to the nest. Hose the opening down and don't retreat if some start to fly out. The spray kills on contact so just hit 'em. After spraying as much of the can as you can get in the hole cover it- dirt works.
If any avoid the spray the residual from the foam will kill them as they crawl through it.

Pest control is not the place for home remedies. Most are ineffective and some are dangerous. Use products for what they are intended to be used for.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Get a pitcher of water, mix in a lot of liquid dishwashing detergent (like Dawn).  Throw it on the nest.   You will be amazed at how quickly they die.  It is unbelivable.  The soapy water coats them and suffocates them almost instantly.

I stand corrected. This is one home remedy that does work.
Dish soap in water is a surfactant- it sticks and covers. Since wasps and bees, etc. breathe through their skin it suffocates them.
You do need them in the open for it to work though. I think a sprayer for liquid fertilizer like Miracle Grow filled with dish soap, hooked up to the hose, might work well.

You can also just sprinkle some 10% Sevin dust in and around the hole. Be careful though- this will kill honey bees too.

Jim
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:49:36 PM EDT
[#33]
Get some liquid dish soap, wait until it's cool & Dark, and get your water hose ready (No nozzle).

Take a flashlight & check out the hive entrance...All should be fairly quiet.
Walk gently(they can feel the vibration through the ground!) up to the opening, with the water hose in one hand, and the dish soap in the other.....with one quick motion, squirt as much soap into the opening as you can...I mean jam the soap nozzle in and squeeze it all in, if you can......then, as soon as you've "dawn'ed" the hole, switch the soap bottle with the water hose & jam the running hose end into the nest hole.

Wasps, like all insects, breath through their body. They have little pores, that the soap + Water will now be blocking....It will also coat their wings, keeping them from flying out and stinging the hell out of you..their killer. Let the water + soap run for a good while, it will run down into the nest, killing all of them, but being relatively harmless.

This same method can be used to kill nests above ground. Just fill a pump sprayer with a warm (works better, but cold will work too) water & soap mixture & fire away!

I have Yellojackets around here every year and got tired of all of the chemicals. I saw this mixture used on the discovery Chanel, being used to kill "Killer Bee" swarms down south...and gave it a try.....Works great!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Light up a propane torch, crank it wide open, stick the flame into the nest opening, and heat 'em up.   Let it run until you're out of gas.  Just have a hose ready in case something else catches fire.    I am pretty sure that
after a minute or two of this treatment,  all your yellow jackets will be dead ones.

Oh....filling the nest hole with concrete may help, too.  Pour until full.  They won't get out.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:18:53 PM EDT
[#35]
OK, I spent about an hour looking though my garage looking for some A team type shit to slap together to eradicate these bastards. I think my time would have been much better spent sitting at my computer waiting for the great ideas you all had.

As for some of your recommendations, I have already tried wasp spray and I did the shop vac thing the other day too. While the sound of the little fookers smacking the inside of the hose was rather rewarding at the end of the day I only had a shop vac full of pissed off hornets. I also previously tied gasoline, while pouring it down a hole felt much like filling up my truck (same principal) they were back the next day. I can't light it, as much as I liked to, because it's right up against my garage.

So tonight I already had the crack they go in filled with granulated choline ( I have a pool) so I decided to fill the cracks and kinda seal them in with the fumes. If this does not work I'm going to try the soap thing. My neighbors must think I'm on crack as I have been out there screwing with this damn crack in my driveway for the last few days, cursing the intire time. Oh well, better to always keep the guessing isn't it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:21:54 AM EDT
[#36]
Just 2-3 weeks ago I got done taking care of some YJ's. The Spectrcide (black can) stuff was pretty good. Some of the other brands recommended using a whole can on the YJ nest underground, Spectrcide suggested a 1-2 sec squirt.

I sprayed it in the evening, didn't even cover the hole and next afternoon when I went to pull the stump they were under, all was good. When the stump was out I could see the nest, about the size of a large grapefruit with the queen sorta moving slowly around. Everything else was totally dead and offered no resistance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 4:36:18 AM EDT
[#37]
i really do like these wasp and hornet threads.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#38]
Go buy some 10% sevin dust.  A 5 lb bag is about 6 bucks, and enough to do 15 or 20 yellow jacket nests.

Wait till after dark, and go pour about 3/4 cup of dust down the hole.

No more ground hornets come sunrise.

Repeat if you find any more nests.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 9:25:32 AM EDT
[#39]
I imagine the concussion from a little tannerite would do the trick.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top