BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/3/2001 10:51:18 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 10:51:43 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 11:14:34 PM EDT
[#2]
That is one extreamly nosy neighborhood- of course if he was pissing people off by being a dick they might start looking for something to annoy him, and got in over their heads.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 11:34:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 11:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:30:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sometimes a Dirtbag is just that, a Dirtbag. And no matter how hard some may wish it wasn't true it won't change the fact he was a Dirtbag.

[i][b]"If you're not part of the Solution,
you're part of the problem"[/i][/b]

sgb
View Quote

True, true,

But that still leaves the part about shooting up the neighbors houses, possibly killing one of their own deputies, and burning the house down. The LACSO needs to be taken to task for their poor performance in this matter, regardless of the suspect being a dirt bag or not. Tweleve LEOs, armed, should be able to take down one dirt bag, in a single family dwelling with no hostages, even if he is armed with a rifle. Maybe it would have ended in gunfire, but it should not of escalated into this.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:38:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:41:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-090101suspect.story[/url]

James Allen Beck had a love of guns
View Quote

I guess this is all that really matters.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:44:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Stones said Beck had a Harley-Davidson motorcycle that he kept covered up. About three weeks ago, as he worked on the bike, a number of neighbors used their binoculars to watch. When he lifted up the cover, they wrote the license plate number down and sent it to authorities.

It was that tip that led to Friday's fatal visit by a team of federal and local authorities.

[i][b]"If you're not part of the Solution,
you're part of the problem"[/i][/b]

sgb
View Quote

F'KN nosy ass bastards.  Blood is on their hands.

LASD should have paid the snitches a visit first.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 3:08:28 AM EDT
[#9]
OK.  Now that I have more details about what kind of person he was, I can feel a LITTLE better about the whole situation.  I still don't like how the law enforcement officials handled things and I think that several heads need to roll over this incident.  Sad to hear that an officer died in the process of cleaning this crap up.  I think that the use of teargas canisters is not something that should be considered in a tightly packed residential neighborhood.  When things turned ugly the cops didn't seem to be trained too well.  Of course I would probably react badly to being shot at too though.  I think a whole lot of thought should be put into what happened and someone needs to make damned certain that these sort of police mishaps such as the molitov teargas cannisters and friendly fire are eliminated.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 3:39:42 AM EDT
[#10]
The exchange of gunfire startled neighbors, especially those who saw officers firing at the wrong house.

``I hollered out the window, 'You're shooting at the wrong house!''' said one neighbor, who spoke to the Times on condition of anonymity. ``They must have heard us or something, because I could hear one of the deputies say, 'Is it the house with the Explorer?' And another guy says, 'No, the one next to it.'''

Homes on either side of Beck's house were riddled with bullet holes, including one where a couple and their 30-hour-old newborn cowered.

``Three bullets came through the (front) window, the master closets and into the master bathroom,'' said Phil Lombardi, the baby's father. He described how he, his wife and baby, took cover in a second floor bathroom.

``It was very traumatic. My wife wasn't coping with it. I was trying to comfort her with the newborn child,'' he said.

The total number of rounds fired was unclear and authorities would not give an estimate.

``It was a very extensive gun battle. We have to wait to see what was collected at scene,'' sheriff's Sgt. Patterson said.

The three-hour exchange ended after tear gas projectiles were shot into Beck's house and a fire erupted. Flames quickly engulfed the home, burning it to the ground. But authorities were still unclear how the fire began.

``It's probably going to be a little more difficult, because of the extent of the fire,'' Patterson said. ``They'll have to sift through evidence to determine how the fire was actually started.''

Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:25:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Had they interviewed the neighbors more about his daily actions, they could have caught him walking the dog.  He did this every day, and it sounds like the "experts" knew what was best.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:32:01 AM EDT
[#12]

``It's probably going to be a little more difficult, because of the extent of the fire,'' Patterson said. ``They'll have to sift through evidence to determine how the fire was actually started.''
View Quote

Translation:

We have to get together and come up with a story that doesn't sound too stupid to believe.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:48:31 AM EDT
[#13]
He was probably a dick (I don't know that for sure though).
The cops were dumbasses.
The neighbors got screwed.

Fortunately none of the kids got hurt.

When "the man" comes to my house with a warrant, I'll invite him in and show him around. I'll let him inspect anything he wants. He won't find anything.

You try to outgun "the man" and you will die. You can out-think him though cause a lot of times they are idiots.

This guy was just a d(#khead that wasn't prepared to follow the rules. You guys can defend him all you want but he probably wasn't your neighbor. You probably would have wanted to shoot him if he were. But he wasn't your problem so some of you spent the last two days using him as a martyr for the ownership of guns. (not all of you but some did) Using a jerk as a martyr hurts your cause more than it helps.

I agree with all the comments about the press using this in their agenda against guns but they are a bunch of liberal morons who just want ratings. Big suprise.

You can fight "the man" on your own but if you do, you will just end up a martyr. You'll still be dead. No doubt about it, "the man" has bigger guns than I do and a lot more of them. I'm not shooting at anybody that doesn't shoot first. But I guess that could always happen too.

Link Posted: 9/4/2001 7:51:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Sounds like self-inflicted darwinism. Even if he wasn't headed for an early grave, he was headed for a majority of his time in prison. A mall ninja cop wannabe that like to break the law.

On the other side of the coin, what ever happened to apprehending someone while they're out of their house? With all the information from the nosy neighbors, they should have known when he leaves -maybe to walk the dog or run a marathon. But no, don't bother doing a little surveilance. Instead, let's send out a few deputies to a house where we suspect multiple weapons, and once we f&*@ that up, we'll get to use our new APC the swat team just bought.

I think there were dumbasses on both sides.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#15]

``I hollered out the window, 'You're shooting at the wrong house!''' said one neighbor, who spoke to the Times on condition of anonymity.  ``They must have heard us or something, because I could hear one of the deputies say, 'Is it the house with the Explorer?' And another guy says, 'No, the one next to it.'''
View Quote

What the hell were they doing shooting at the HOUSE instead of the SUSPECT??

Were they certain that nobody else was in his house? a hostage, or a visitor, or his girlfriend, or a Jehovah's Witness?

The cops were complete idiots.  Any officers here still wanna try to defend their peers' actions??
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:16:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Part of the militarization of the police must include the application of suppressing fire, with acceptable collateral damage.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:30:12 AM EDT
[#19]
A shady past, a love of guns, a Harley-Davidson in the garage - Hey, that's my house!
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 4:15:22 PM EDT
[#22]
SGB, no disrespect intended, but when did the crime of being a "Dirtbag" start carrying a death sentence?

Anybody remember the MOVE group in Philadelphia?  Leo's burned down an entire housing project using an improvised firebomb that they dropped by helicopter.

Nobody gave a damn.  We had little sympathy for Armed Black Militants, pretty much agreeing that they were "Dirtbags"

Add the Waco "child molesting Dirtbags"

Add The Weavers "White Supremacist Dirtbags"

And a thousand more dead Dirtbags in between.

The thing we forgot about these "Dirtbags" is that they were American Citizens. Supposedly entitled to due process.

The question cannot be ignored: When do we become "Dirtbags" deserving of death?  

And who decides who should be summarily executed?

Right now, it's the police in local, state, and federal government.  And that is wrong.  I know the system is easier to defend when you are part of it, but it doesn't make it right.

Link Posted: 9/4/2001 4:49:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 5:51:40 PM EDT
[#24]
What's intersting is Beck seems to be the ultimate mall ninja in search of a mall. But because he shot it out with the cops many people on this board, who decry the mall ninja wannabe's, suddenly rally to his side.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top