Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2001 7:41:41 PM EDT
i am talking the absolute dirt cheap pile of junk! cheap. p.o.s., scata, scheis!! well, what is it?????(they ALL work, you know).
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:47:04 PM EDT
[#1]
NEVER buy junk.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:53:16 PM EDT
[#2]
One of the most important things I have learned
from buying guns is that YOU NEVER BUY JUNK!

Never, ever, ever.

Spend the extra money and buy what you want.
You will be happy with it and it will be easier
to sell it if you have to.
After all, nobody wants to buy used junk. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#3]
either a thumbhole maadi or one of those 10 shot only AK's

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys, be nice.  A good AK-47 can be made by a blind monkey in a dark shed with a dull file using scrap metal that fell off a Yugo.

You can get a great AK that will fire every time you pull the trigger for $165 from [url]www.classicarms.org[/url] in Charlotte, NC.  Go there, then click on "Priced For Quick Sale!"  It's a MISR-10 made in Egypt, and it is very close to an original Russian AK except that it has a smaller magwell that you can only insert single stack 10 round magazines into.  That can be fixed in an hour with a dremel tool.  You might want to call, but I think they have a few more in stock.  If you want to get fancy, they have AK's will milled receivers and Steyr barrels starting at $265.

If you don't like Classic Arms, you can buy a Romanian AK from AIM ([url]www.aimsurplus.com[/url]) for $290 or one in the new Russian 5.54x39mm for $240.

Ignore the snobs here.  They'd prefer you spend several times as much for a Bushmaster.  If all you want is something that just works, is cheap to buy, and cheap to feed, then pluck down your money on a cheap AK.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I dont think I've ever been called a snob before, I kinda like it. (just remember if you buy junk, you get junk) good luck.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#6]
thanks zoom.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Back before the ban here in PRK, I bought a Norinco Mak-90 for $299.  When I went back to pick it up, they had it advertised for $199.  Cool!  They gave me a hundred bucks back!  It aint pretty but I would trust it with my life.  Eats through a 100rd drum with out a hiccup and begs for more.  I can only remember cleaning it thoroughly once.  Normally just spray it down with WD-40 and stick it in the safe.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:52:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:48:55 PM EDT
[#9]
AK-SAR 1 Rifle
They are back... But not for long! Ltd availability. Mfd from brand new Romanian AK parts kits. Best selling 7.62x39 AK! Each rifle comes with one 10rd and one 30rd magazine. $289.95ea, 2 or more @ only $269.95ea!
[url]http://aimsurplus.com/acatalog/AIM_Rifles_1.html[/url] mmk

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:17:50 AM EDT
[#10]
the $239 sar-2 in 5.45 is more fun to plink with than any other kalashnikov i've owned. well worth the asking price imo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:24:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I'd say the SAR-1 is a bargain, and I have my sights on an SAR-2 next.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:17:14 AM EDT
[#12]
A Mattel Toy AK.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:21:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dont think I've ever been called a snob before, I kinda like it. (just remember if you buy junk, you get junk) good luck.
View Quote

You calling AKs Junk??
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Confederate, I didn't mean anything personal with the word snob.  I was generalizing about some people here.

reconxl, I think Confederate was making the point that buying a cheap gun is a very bad idea.  He has a good point that after you buy it and want to get rid of it, no one else will want it either.  I don't believe he was talking about the AK in particular.  I'll agree with his rule about 99% of the time, but I believe there are a few exceptions, and I consider an AK one of them.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:24:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I second the SAR 1.  They are about the least expensive of the good AK's.  I love mine and it is very reliable.  The finish is known to be bad many times (mine looked like it was applied by a very drunk Romanian!!), but I stripped it down and refinished with tung oil, and it looks great now.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Here's a Romak II ($325)

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1320253&a=11616093&p=41549957&Sequence=1&res=high[/IMG]

Here's a Romak II in EG kit:
[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1320253&a=13681528&p=53416878&Sequence=1&res=high[/IMG]

I added the brakes.

I've owned/shot M-16 and AR-15 rifles for 26 years.  Great rifles.  The Romys are great packages that are cheaper, but very capable systems that no other similar class rifle can match for the cost.  

Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:08:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been surfing the guns shows for the past year or so and the price of AK's comes and goes like the phases of the moon.  Seen Mak-90's for $159, where as 6 months later the same rifle is $400.  Just wait, the lower prices will come shortly.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:08:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Zoom, how hard is it to convert the Mag. Well Back. Is it just a matter of resizing.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:34:14 AM EDT
[#19]
You can't go wrong with the mak-90.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:46:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Zoom, how hard is it to convert the Mag. Well Back. Is it just a matter of resizing.
View Quote

Pardon me for asking, but is it LEGAL to modify this gun so that it will accept a double-stack mag?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:38:34 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:02:50 PM EDT
[#22]
If you have to have 7.62 x 39, buy an SKS.

Got my milled receiver romanian for 180 bucks.  I think its better made than any of the cheap AK's, its fun to shoot, I think it looks classy, and it has a butter knife on the end. Itwas a real combat rifle, which no SAR or MAK-90 ever was. They can be tricked out as nicely as any AK.

Cheap 7.62 x 39 is fun, but not what I want to trust my life to.  I put my money in my AR. If SHTF or guns are banned (after which, shit WILL hit the fan), this thing is going in the ground in a PVC pipe in about a gollon of axle greese with a case of wolf ammo. My AR will stay by my bedside.    
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:58:07 PM EDT
[#23]
For those who say "AK's are unstoppable," etc.
here's my two cents...

I heard so much about the incredible reliability of AK's that I decided to try them out several years ago back when they were cheap.  I tried a new Maadi, which had the front sight base welded on so crooked that it COULD NOT BE ZEROED on a standard silhouette target at 100 yards.  Even with the front sight drifted all the way over to correct it, it still shot 6" off the left edge of the paper of a standard full size silhouette!!! Luckily the dealer took that one back. So then I tried a NHM-91 (longer, heavier-barrelled AK clone.)  This one shot decent groups for an AK variant, and worked fine... with 5-round mags.  I tried several different new 30 round mags (that had worked fine in the Maadi) and it jammed with every one of them!!  No ammo preference -- it jammed with several types of surplus military ammo!  I then said "to heck with this" and went back to AR's.   There's no doubt in my mind that there are plenty of decent, reliable AK clones out there, but many of them look like they were built by Mr. McGoo when he was blind running drunk. [puke]  If you get one, be sure to check it thoroughly if possible, as there seems to be significant variation between individual specimens.  Mine was admittedly a sample of two, but my getting two BAD ones back to back suggest there might just be more rejects out there than people think.  If I had to guess, I wouldn't be surprised if the Egyptians used a big stack of reject military barrels on the Maadi's just to make money; I've since looked at several and frequently saw crooked front sights.   John
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:09:11 PM EDT
[#24]
well i dont know much about ar but i do know about this . a norinco is the best way to go all others will require some foolin around with ,sar, maadi, saigas. get a norinco if you want one even better get a polytech. they have a spring loaded firing pin. i have owned 8 norincos and each and everyone has performed flawless straight from the box. no bad sights or trigger problems. look on an ak board and you will find millions of examples of people needing to modify all the aks except for norinco
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#26]
oh yeah the guy that posted about the nhm may have not been aware that the nhm has a rivet through the reciever that prevents the use of 30 round mags till the rivet is removed or the mag is cut to the rivet shape . ONLY the nhm has this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top