Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2001 9:19:16 AM EDT
Thinking about buying a new Standard model with fixed sights. Blued frame and slide, walnut grips.

Anybody had any experience with the current crop of Hi-Powers?

I have always liked this pistol but just never owned one.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:22:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Got mine back in 86. I don't think that they've changed much. Are they still FN?

Mine has always worked well as long as I'm using good quality ammo. Crummy reloads or Blazer stuff sometimes gets jammed. I've got the adjustable sites. It shoots real good.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:25:15 AM EDT
[#2]
As far as I know FN still makes these pistols.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#3]
My brother-in-law has a fairly new one. Nice pistol, looks real cool.

To the extent that I've shot it, it has been 100% reliable (however, I believe we have only used ball). It hasn't proven to be as accurate as my Springfield 1911--probably due to a somewhat inferior trigger. I assume that this can be fixed with some gunsmithing.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Get the gun. You won't be sorry.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#5]
You can find out more at [url]www.fnhipower.com[/url].  

Oh, and buy the gun.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:31:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently bought an El Capitan model.  I think it was bought new in '93.  It was "made in Belgum"  "Assembled in Portugal"
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#7]
If you want a collector, find a nice Belgian with all papers and pouch. If you want a shooter get a mk3. Assembled in Port. It will have bigger sights, ambi safety, better grips, reliably feed hollow points from the factory, a decent trigger, and cost less!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:16:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine in 95, and it hasn't failed me once no matter what ammo I put through it.

Great gun IMO. Fits my hands well, good balance, classic look (none of that laser gun looking stuff for me thanks).

I've tried out other handguns (Glocks, Berettas, etc.), but my Browning fits me best. It may just a personal thing, but alot of people who have sold their Brownings for other guns have told me they liked their Hi-Powers better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:17:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Still my favorite pistol. I prefer the adjustable sights, but I don't use mine for CCW.
I am waiting to get one of the used Argentine ones.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had my Hi-Power for almost 10 years now and I can say that it's probably the most ergonomically correct handgun on the market (perhaps a 1911 in 2nd place) and shoots incredibly too.  It's truely as simple as point and shoot.  I've gotten many a person into the shooting sports simply by letting them shoot my Hi-Power.  All I have to say is anything that John Browning had anything to do with has to be worth having in one's collection!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Mine's a Browning, made in Belgium assembled in Portugal.

It's my favorite handgun of all. It goes to work with me, it goes to the store with me, it rides around with me in the truck. It pretty much goes everywhere I go, except the shower.
I keep it fed with Speer Gold-Dots, 17 of them with another 17 nearby.
I use the South African 17rd mags that CDNN was selling for <$20, they work great. Kinda hard to load until they break in a little, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top