Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2001 7:52:58 AM EDT
Of the parts that break most often on an AR-15, which ones will be the 'little trouble causers' in which I'll want to keep a few spares on hand?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster has done the work for you.

Go and order their Emergency Parts kit.

[url]www.bushmaster.com[/url]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:58:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Of the parts that break most often on an AR-15, which ones will be the 'little trouble causers' in which I'll want to keep a few spares on hand?

Thanks!
View Quote

I'd recommend keeping a fully assembled rifle, just in case [:D]

Ian
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 7:59:15 AM EDT
[#3]
i always go overboard on spares, but most needed IMHO, are springs; fire control group, ejector and extractor. i also would keep an ejector and extractor handy as well. aw hell, just keep a spare bolt and FCG springs on hand! [:D]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:26:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I once had a tiny little spring under the extractor get weak and failed to extract the fired case at the range, replaced it and it it was good as new.  I would definitely keep small parts, such as firing pin, extractor, springs for those failures at the range in the pistol grip, even though I have never personally broken any of them.  I personally think a lot of the parts will be lost during rather than worn out.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Magazines... Lots of spare Magazines...

If you want to have other backup parts available, I would suggest DPMS's ultimate repair kit.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 9:20:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Be sure and keep an extra of the small parts that get lost sooo easily.  The retainer pin (kotter pin) in the bolt assembly comes to mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top