AR, Reliable, easy to find parts, finicky mag

What's your favorite 9mm?

[rail]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#1]
i wish i had ONE of those
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 6:13:22 PM EDT
[#2]
How can an AR be "reliable" but "finicky mag"?

The Colt 9mm AR is OK.  Supposedly the 9mm Colt mags work well, the converted UZI mags are OK.  It does have ergonomics going for it, however.

The Calico is still a "gimick" in my eyes.  It may be reliable, accurate, etc (I have never shot one, so I cannot say for certain), but with the mag design, I figure it is a potential source for problems under "real world" situations (as opposed to sterile range conditions).

The HK is, as you said an HK--very reliable, accurate, and great sights.

When all is said and done, my choice would be:

UZI--in a full auto Registered Receiver configuration.  $2800 for one (about what the HK in semi- goes for, and the UZI is just as reliable).
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:23:02 PM EDT
[#3]
id get the oly upper and a socom mag block so i can use good cheap sten mags
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Well here is my input, I have a Calico Liberty 50 and I must say it is quite a dissapointment.
Here is a list of things I don't like about it.
Combustion gases exit towards the rear between the mag and the reciever aimed right at your mouth, cheek & eyes.  Mine is not accurate at all,5-6 inch group at 50 yards off bags, I think this has to do with the poor sight arrangement.  The rear sight is part of the magazine and the front is about the middle of the rifle so there is only 8 or so inches between sights and they are about 2-2.5 inches above the barrel because they are on top of the mag.  The trigger is horrible, couldn't measure it, my scale only reads to 10# and no gunsmith will touch it.  You can scratch the finish on the barrel down to the metal with your fingernail.  You have to dissasemble the mag about every 200 rounds (4 reloads in my case) to clean the combustion gas residue out of it.
50 round mags are $200 and 100 rounders are $350 about.  
Good is this thing looks like nothing else out there. If it was full auto it would make a great spray and pray shoot from the hip gun.  No tools to take down and clean.  Great conversaion piece. Few failures to feed unless you don't wind up the spring in the mag(Very embarassing in front of others) But thats about it.  Overall I would definatly sell it and get something else if my Wife didn't want to keep it so bad. What it boils down to is a 650 dollar conversation starter that's not worth shooting.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#5]
HK94, if you have the money.  Most expensive, but worth it IMHO.  Don't need to brag on it's attributes, since that has already been covered here.  
Also great if you have other HKs and a registered auto-sear lying around.

Second, a 9mm Colt, if money is an issue.  You can simply get an upper, mag kit and mags and a few other parts, and be ready to go with your AR lower.

Calico, don't know, never had one, and they looked too goofy for me to take seriously, so I never considered one.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:49:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the HK 94 if I had the money to know one.  The Colt is a good choice to go with since the new one piece drop in block is available.  In addition, it does allow the user to convert back to a rifle caliber firearm.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#7]
No contest,HK.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:23:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey Confederate don't you mean HK; No Compromise.

Oh yeah, I'd got HK.

No Compromise.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:30:24 AM EDT
[#9]
Adding the correct folding stock and making this into a SBR would be very cool.  Unfortunately, my CLEO won't sign, so it's still a handgun.  

[IMG]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=192182&a=1409106&p=33001231&Sequence=0&res=high[/IMG]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:47:51 AM EDT
[#10]
My calico M-951 and M-900 have treated me very well, the 951 is slightly more accurate...but both shoot about 1.5-2 inch groups at 50 yards. Never had a problem feeding except when I don't wind the mag enoght...But then again both of mine are pre-bans, and from what I've heard the post-ban quality has gone south. I have a buddy in Nebraska who has a HK94, were going to do a 9mm shoot off this weekend, I'll keep you posted

[rail]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top