Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2006 5:55:35 PM EDT
My wife is pregnant, due in August with our first.  I know that flying the last trimester is generally frowned upon by doctors, but why?  Is it the cabin altitude of the airliner?

My wife and I occasionally fly ourselves in addition to commercial air travel, and I am wondering if that is permissible the whole term - in other words, we live at 5,000 feet, and if I fly and stay at 6,000 or some other altitude not much different than ground level, is that a problem?

Finally, and this may be a silly question, but is it okay for her to shoot?  I know that babies can hear sounds inside the womb, is the impulse of a gunshot something that would cause stress of some kind for the baby?  

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I want to be sure it's safe before we go shooting next weekend.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:58:21 PM EDT
[#1]
radiation exposure is bad.

lead exposure is bad.

No one really knows the chances, but since it's your kid, why risk it?

Also, when pregnant moms smoke, kids come out looking like Mickey Mouse with big wide ears and wide set eyes. I forgot the specific name of the syndrome, but it shouldn't be hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:00:53 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
radiation exposure is bad.

lead exposure is bad.

No one really knows the chances, but since it's your kid, why risk it?

Also, when pregnant moms smoke, kids come out looking like Mickey Mouse with big wide ears and wide set eyes. I forgot the specific name of the syndrome, but it shouldn't be hard to find.

I know.  An acquaintance of ours smoked, both cigarettes and pot, during her pregnancy.  We only know her because she is a sister of a friend of mine.  I can't even be around the bitch nowadays, knowing what she did.  The kid was born 3 pounds, 14 ounces, and has that look.  I first heard it mentioned on Arfcom in a thread about Katie Couric a few weeks ago.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:01:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Read the title and the first thing that popped into my head....Shooting and flying.....at the same time.....while pregnant?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My wife is pregnant, due in August with our first.  I know that flying the last trimester is generally frowned upon by doctors, but why?  Is it the cabin altitude of the airliner?

My wife and I occasionally fly ourselves in addition to commercial air travel, and I am wondering if that is permissible the whole term - in other words, we live at 5,000 feet, and if I fly and stay at 6,000 or some other altitude not much different than ground level, is that a problem?

Finally, and this may be a silly question, but is it okay for her to shoot?  I know that babies can hear sounds inside the womb, is the impulse of a gunshot something that would cause stress of some kind for the baby?  

I know I'm probably being paranoid, but I want to be sure it's safe before we go shooting next weekend.

My doc said to stay below 12,000 when my wife was pregnant.     It wasn't really a problem in the third trimester, as she couldn't really even fit in the Arrow....

No clue about shooting.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Read the title and the first thing that popped into my head....Shooting and flying.....at the same time.....while pregnant?

Well, I HAVE engaged in a little hanky panky in the plane with my wife, and an AR15 and Glock 32 in the cabin with me - does that count?

I never shot a gun out the window, but I DID consider throwing a ziplock bag of shit out over the Chicago Class B airspace once.  The thought of bombarding some poor soul's car with my unplanned rectal abortion, while amusing, is what stopped me.  Instead, I made a VERY fast descent and landing, ran into the FBO, and.....well you can guess the rest.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:06:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
My doc said to stay below 12,000 when my wife was pregnant.     It wasn't really a problem in the third trimester, as she couldn't really even fit in the Arrow....

No clue about shooting.

My guess is that it must be a radiation issue then - if I am correct, the cabin altitude of an airliner is about 7000 feet.  Besides, above 12k the FAR's require oxygen anyway.  I was thinking of humming along at 6000, which would only be inconvenient until I dropped off the Colorado plateau eastbound.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:07:48 PM EDT
[#7]
On flying - I guess there might be some concern with the low level radition emited by the radar, though I wouldnt think it would be much of a concern unless you were flying ALOT.  The bigger problem as I understand it has to do with a woman going into labor at 30000 ft when they are a long way from anywhere.

Shooting - the biggest problem I could see is lead

Good luck
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:12:34 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
On flying - I guess there might be some concern with the low level radition emited by the radar, though I wouldnt think it would be much of a concern unless you were flying ALOT.  The bigger problem as I understand it has to do with a woman going into labor at 30000 ft when they are a long way from anywhere.

Shooting - the biggest problem I could see is lead

Good luck

the radar???

i think the radiation is from space, and you being way up in the atmosphere (like you said fl300) where there is very little gas (air) to bounce the radiation back into "space"

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm sorry if I didn't make this more clear in my first post.

But basically, you get MUCH higher levels of radiation exposure when you are flying. It's because you are not longer shielded by 32,000 feet of atmosphere, but instead by the thin metal of the airplane. When a baby is in its developmental stages, it is much more vulnerable to outside influences affecting it for the rest of its life. A born baby, who gets sunburned in his/her first few years will have a higher chance of skin cancer for the rest of his/her life.

Lead, which is all over the place when you shoot can also cause harm to the baby. Heavy metals generally lower intelligence and cause other problems with people. That's why you should always wash your hands after shooting.

Also, the pressurized cabin might cause the baby harm, or may cause problems for the mother? I know people with heart problems should not fly, and i don't think it's the radiation that causes problems for them

meh. If the doctor says to avoid it, it would be best to avoid it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:21:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I'm sorry if I didn't make this more clear in my first post.

But basically, you get MUCH higher levels of radiation exposure when you are flying. It's because you are not longer shielded by 32,000 feet of atmosphere, but instead by the thin metal of the airplane. When a baby is in its developmental stages, it is much more vulnerable to outside influences affecting it for the rest of its life. A born baby, who gets sunburned in his/her first few years will have a higher chance of skin cancer for the rest of his/her life.

Lead, which is all over the place when you shoot can also cause harm to the baby. Heavy metals generally lower intelligence and cause other problems with people. That's why you should always wash your hands after shooting.

Also, the pressurized cabin might cause the baby harm, or may cause problems for the mother? I know people with heart problems should not fly, and i don't think it's the radiation that causes problems for them

meh. If the doctor says to avoid it, it would be best to avoid it.

The doc has cleared her to fly until early June.  I was just curious about the why of it.  I guess she'll have to refrain from shooting for a while, too.  I had considered the noise but honestly the heavy metal in the air didn't even occur to me.

Paging ARDOC......
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:44:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn dude, I would SERIOUSLY avoid shooting or even being around cleaning chemicals, powder residue, vapour, etc while she is pregnant.
The effect of all that impulse noise alone would concern me (there is just NO WAY that can be good for a baby) but the heavy metals and chemicals are a very real and immediate threat.

Wash your hands thoroughly after handling ammo or before handling food.

I was careful to the point of paranoia when my wife was pregnant, showering after coming back from the range, keeping cleaning solvents and chemicals out of the house and things like that.

You do not want to risk having your kid get fucked up at a critical development stage (heavy metals are BAD news for babies nervous system and general mental development).

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 6:57:09 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Damn dude, I would SERIOUSLY avoid shooting or even being around cleaning chemicals, powder residue, vapour, etc while she is pregnant.
The effect of all that impulse noise alone would concern me (there is just NO WAY that can be good for a baby) but the heavy metals and chemicals are a very real and immediate threat.

Wash your hands thoroughly after handling ammo or before handling food.

I was careful to the point of paranoia when my wife was pregnant, showering after coming back from the range, keeping cleaning solvents and chemicals out of the house and things like that.

You do not want to risk having your kid get fucked up at a critical development stage (heavy metals are BAD news for babies nervous system and general mental development).

Gotcha.  And believe me, I am paranoid too, almost to the point of being a Nazi about her diet, not wanting her to carry groceries, etc.  I even bought her all new flat-soled shoes because the clodhoppers most women wear these days look like a trip/fall accident waiting to happen.  No caffeine, restricted sugar, and so on.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:47:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I was shooting an SKS recently with a pregnant woman (7 1/2 months) in a car about 15 feet away.  She said that the baby 'jumped' with the first couple of shots.  I had paused to reload and the baby 'jumped' for the first couple of shots again when I started shooting.  But I think that the lead 'dust' from the primer is the greatest concern.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
~snip~
Gotcha.  And believe me, I am paranoid too, almost to the point of being a Nazi about her diet, not wanting her to carry groceries, etc.  I even bought her all new flat-soled shoes because the clodhoppers most women wear these days look like a trip/fall accident waiting to happen.  No caffeine, restricted sugar, and so on.

Then why are you worried about the wife missing a couple shooting outings?  Somewhere I read they determined loud noise makes them jump in the womb.   Are these shooting trips for the next couple of months important enough to take any risk?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Then why are you worried about the wife missing a couple shooting outings?

I'm not.  I don't see where I even incinuated I had concern about that.

Somewhere I read they determined loud noise makes them jump in the womb.

I see that above.  That was my initial concern - the loud noise.

Are these shooting trips for the next couple of months important enough to take any risk?

Well, even taking her to the grocery store with me entails lots of risk - car accidents, tripping and falling, etc.  That wasn't my point.  The question was whether it had adverse affects or not.  If there was no reason to worry, then I wouldn't worry.  Contrarily, I'm not going to lock the poor woman in a padded room for 9 months because of what might happen.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:18:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Ive heard shooting while pregnant is bad, there is still a decent concussion for the baby and lead+other chemicals cant be good. Its your kid, I wouldnt risk it.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:20:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Ya, I wouldn't let her do any strafing runs while she is still pregnant.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:22:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I was shooting an SKS recently with a pregnant woman (7 1/2 months) in a car about 15 feet away.  She said that the baby 'jumped' with the first couple of shots.  I had paused to reload and the baby 'jumped' for the first couple of shots again when I started shooting.  But I think that the lead 'dust' from the primer is the greatest concern.  

Damn.  No shooting for her, then.  She'll have to make herself happy at home with her vibrator knitting while I go out and dump ammo.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:22:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Radiation
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Radiation

Hey man, we're rubes here.  We can only guess at the mystical methods you OB's use to determine this stuff.  Everything I've seen so far in this whole pregnancy thing might as well have been magic, so I figured the flying restriction was the same.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#21]
For further information please submit a valid insurance card.  If you lack an insurance card a paypal payment will be acceptable.  Upon confirmation of transfer of funds, information on this subject matter will be posted.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
For further information please submit a valid insurance card.  If you lack an insurance card a paypal payment will be acceptable.  Upon confirmation of transfer of funds, information on this subject matter will be posted.

Will you take a check?
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:27:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will you take a check?

NO

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:32:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Will you take a check?

NO

But doc, it's me - Pete.  You trust your friend Pete, don't you?

Do you guys sacrifice chickens when you come up with this stuff?  Last week at the Perinatologist the doc was pointing out kidneys, the heart, bladder, face, etc.  Looked like a static filled TV with some ghosting from a different channel if you ask me.

On the other hand, the penis of my son, pointed out to me on two separate occasions, was very clear and quite large.  Takes after the old man, I see.

Tell you what, if you ever need advice on Sarbanes-Oxley, SEC financial reporting, or IT management, I'll be there for you buddy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:33:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Majority of the time, we are considering pressured commercial flying.  We dont want you to fly because of DVTs and possible clots due to blood statsis from sitting on her ass for long periods of time.

The pressure issue on a commercial jet is negligible.

The pressure in an unpressured airplane is not even considered because you cant fly high enough to effect the baby without oxygen.

Radiation? Are you guys for real?  After the 1st trimester the fetus is pretty resilent and will be resistant to raditiation as you and I.  Anyone who has worked with radiation will tell you that its a cummulative effect more then a direct exposure effect.  You get too much at once you croak.  You get enough small doses you can effect the baby.

A baby will be able to resist up to 5 rads before any real effects occur.

Do you realize how long you have to fly to get 5 rads?  The baby would be born and croaked before he would get that much if he flew his entire lifetime.

An average xray will give you a fraction of a rad. I had one patient have over 50 xrays after she swallowed a pin.

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:35:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Majority of the time, we are considering pressured commercial flying.  We dont want you to fly because of DVTs and possible clots due to blood statsis from sitting on her ass for long periods of time.

The pressure issue on a commercial jet is negligible.

The pressure in an unpressured airplane is not even considered because you cant fly high enough to effect the baby without oxygen.

Radiation? Are you guys for real?  After the 1st trimester the fetus is pretty resilent and will be resistant to raditiation as you and I.  Anyone who has worked with radiation will tell you that its a cummulative effect more then a direct exposure effect.  You get too much at once you croak.  You get enough small doses you can effect the baby.

A baby will be able to resist up to 5 rads before any real effects occur.

Do you realize how long you have to fly to get 5 rads?  The baby would be born and croaked before he would get that much if he flew his entire lifetime.

An average xray will give you a fraction of a rad. I had one patient have over 50 xrays after she swallowed a pin.

I call bullshit.  My neighbor told me it was cosmic rays and sunspots.  I'm going to go with his recommendation for a tinfoil girdle for the little lady.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:37:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Babies can hear quite well and will actually react to sounds outside the mother.

Thats why a baby will recognize its mothers voice before anyones because it has been listening to her the entire pregnancy.

Its also in fluid which is a tremendous transmitter of energy waves.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Babies can hear quite well and will actually react to sounds outside the mother.

Thats why a baby will recognize its mothers voice before anyones because it has been listening to her the entire pregnancy.

So I might want to cut down on my usual bitching and hurling of profanities while around my wife, I suppose.  My friends kid me and tell me my son's first word is going to be "fuck".  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So I might want to cut down on my usual bitching and hurling of profanities while around my wife, I suppose.  My friends kid me and tell me my son's first word is going to be "fuck".  

I believe his first words when he sees you for the first time would not be fuck.  I believe it would be dumbass.  
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 9:46:59 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I believe his first words when he sees you for the first time would not be fuck.  I believe it would be dumbass.  

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:50:49 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And I raise your X 5

Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#32]
When she was pregenant i still shot just not with her around. Lead will screw up a baby big time.

I still wont take her shooting becuase my byoy does not need to be around that noise or lead...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top