Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2006 12:54:34 AM EDT
Is it possible to look up someone cell #
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 1:33:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Uh, no. Not only is it a huge security/privacy concern, but mobile numbers are re-used constantly. The directory would be instantly obsolete.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:12:43 AM EDT
[#2]
In the United States, there is no open + centralized registry of mobile phone numbers at all. Not even on a state-by-state basis.

-I bet if you were a telemarketer you could buy it though.
~
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 2:29:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Google the person's name, you might get lucky.  Has worked for me more than once.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 10:52:33 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Uh, no. Not only is it a huge security/privacy concern, but mobile numbers are re-used constantly. The directory would be instantly obsolete.

-Well, , , no. Not really.
Every mobile phone company must be able to track who has what numbers, right?
They could just set up a public/free web server you could get on to look.

-I mean, that is, , ,  if they were required to by law of course. Elsewise they just do as they do now--they keep the data "secret" and sell it to marketing firms.
~
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 12:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-I mean, that is, , ,  if they were required to by law of course. Elsewise they just do as they do now--they keep the data "secret" and sell it to marketing firms.
~

If you knew the persons name and what service they had (IE: Nextel or Cingular), a cell phone dealer who sells that same service could look it up on his computer. However, it is not legal for him to do.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

~

I can't speak for every provider, only the one I work for, but all customer data, not just their phone number, is closely and securely guarded. It is also never sold to marketing agencies.. we're actually suing a company in federal court right now for calling customer care and impersonating users to get their call records, then marketing to those people.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 5:54:12 PM EDT
[#7]
We had an employee vanish (open police case after 8 years)

She had an employeer supplied and paid for cell phone

They would not turn the records over to the Police until we had given them a notorized statement authorizing release of the info.  Next step would have been a court order

Of course my mom has called a couple of times and made payments on mine (because I used my cell phone doing work for her) without my knowdelge or consent.  I guess they will bend the rules to take money.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 1:30:28 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
We had an employee vanish (open police case after 8 years)

She had an employeer supplied and paid for cell phone

They would not turn the records over to the Police until we had given them a notorized statement authorizing release of the info.  Next step would have been a court order

Of course my mom has called a couple of times and made payments on mine (because I used my cell phone doing work for her) without my knowdelge or consent.  I guess they will bend the rules to take money.

Let's see, call records and taking a payment. Guess which one is a privacy violation, and which one isn't?

Here's a hint: the bank will let you deposit money into anyone else's account too, but you can't get their balance.
Link Posted: 4/19/2006 4:06:39 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

~

If you knew the persons name and what service they had (IE: Nextel or Cingular), a cell phone dealer who sells that same service could look it up on his computer. However, it is not legal for him to do.

+1

I got a weird call last year from this girls friends who I was kinda hanging out with/wanting to go out with.  It was extremely weird, I called the cell phone company back and tried to get the owner of the cell phone (), said I was looking for a friends number and wanted to make sure it was this number, he said he couldnt do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top