Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 11:00:32 PM EDT
I quit smoking in early Sept. and was SO over the nicotine fix.  I had prepared for it, and was ready to do it. Smoked my last cig right before bed that night, and threw everything away, cigarettes,  ashtrays, lighters, etc.  I had the patch ready, and never smoked another cig...

...then I got stressed out in Jan, and started again. Just like I had never quit.

I HAVE to quit again, and I'm just not ready right now.

I've spent the night, trying to figure out how I can do this, right now.

Last time I quit, I timed it to a weekend away, to a place where nobody else smoked. Then had a few weeks of hanging out with friends who don't smoke, and going to places where I couldn't smoke. I stayed away from all the usual triggers, and got over the initial withdrawal, before I went back to my usual routine. I DID use the patch, and it helped.

I have a week off right now, and this will be my best chance to go away, and get away from smoking until Aug.  I just don't know what to do.  I'm thinking of a road trip, just away from here. I don't smoke in my car, so it might be easier.

I REALLY have to quit.  

Any suggestions guys?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:03:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have any kids. Cause if you do send them away with your spouse. I quit and I was an irritable monster. I couldn't stand to be around anyone for a week.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:05:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Take all the tobacco in your possession and flush it down the toilet, slam a beer, and go to sleep.  Wake up tomorrow pissed off and resentful.  Take it out on whoever is closest to you.

Apologize.

Go run a couple miles or drag a rucksack a couple miles, whatever tires you out and pisses you off.

Read an Al Franken book, and then do pushups til HE's tired.

Sleep.

Then, white knuckle it for 48 hours.  At the end of 48 hours, it's all headgames.  You can talk yourself out of a smoke after 72 hours, it shouldn't be that hard.

Then, go buy yourself a $750 pair of shoes.  At $5 a pack, it would take you 150 days of a pack a day smoking habit to pay off a $750 pair of shoes.  Barney's is calling your name.

Then again, I live in LA... things might be different where you are.  Maybe you can get a pair of shoes for $300.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Everyone quits eventually...............
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#4]

Show your kids that pic.

Then , tell them , that is what you are doing to YOUR lungs.

Then , ask them what their take is on the subject.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:15:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Honey I know what you're going through, You gotta just say fuck it and just get mad at your
self . You gotta say fuck you to these cigarettes and just throw them out.One of the hardest things you will ever do in your life, but you can do it if you want to.
I hope I didn't offend with  the language.

I smoked for 30 years, if I can do it so can you
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:16:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Sunflower seeds. Get you through the withdrawl, then quit them.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:17:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
whyquit.com/joel/cancer.jpg

Show your kids that pic.

I'm going to go puke now!!!!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:20:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Quitter!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:34:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Do you have any kids. Cause if you do send them away with your spouse. I quit and I was an irritable monster. I couldn't stand to be around anyone for a week.

Kids are taken care of for all week.

I had planned to be recovering from a minor surgery now, and had already made arrangments for them. Thats one of the reasons this week would be perfect. I remember last time I quit, how miserable and cranky I was. I'd hate to inflict that on anybody again!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:38:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Good luck! I quit six years ago and it was the smartest thing I ever did. It took me three attempts before I was able to get the monkey off my back. Your problem though is you don't sound like you really want to quit.  I have to quit is a lot different than I want to quit, if you don't want to quit, you won't.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:38:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Take all the tobacco in your possession and flush it down the toilet, slam a beer, and go to sleep.  Wake up tomorrow pissed off and resentful.  Take it out on whoever is closest to you.

Apologize.

Go run a couple miles or drag a rucksack a couple miles, whatever tires you out and pisses you off.

Read an Al Franken book, and then do pushups til HE's tired.

Sleep.

Then, white knuckle it for 48 hours.  At the end of 48 hours, it's all headgames.  You can talk yourself out of a smoke after 72 hours, it shouldn't be that hard.

Then, go buy yourself a $750 pair of shoes.  At $5 a pack, it would take you 150 days of a pack a day smoking habit to pay off a $750 pair of shoes.  Barney's is calling your name.

Then again, I live in LA... things might be different where you are.  Maybe you can get a pair of shoes for $300.

I live in OC...a $750.00 pair of shoes would be easy.

Barneys ALWAYS calls my name!

I just know that in the past, I HAVE to get away from here, to really get over the psychological cravings.  i just don't know where to go this time.

Thanks for the ideas Peak.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:40:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Honey I know what you're going through, You gotta just say fuck it and just get mad at your
self . You gotta say fuck you to these cigarettes and just throw them out.One of the hardest things you will ever do in your life, but you can do it if you want to.

I know I have to.

I wish Betty Ford had a quitting smoking spa.

Its hard to make THIS smoke the last, without any support.
I was ready last time. Wish I'd never started again. I had this beat.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

That looks like some BBQ pics that I've seen on here lately.  

Dawn, just quit like you did in September.  You can do it if you really want to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:42:09 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
whyquit.com/joel/cancer.jpg

Show your kids that pic.

My kids hate that I smoke. I live in a community, where really, no one smokes.  its just not common here.

I don't smoke near them, not in my house, or car...or let them see me smoke, but they do know.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:43:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I've quit 3 times in 3 years (every summer). Valium or vodka, and exercise will take your mind off cigarettes. Start with exercise. There is nothing you will want to do less than smoke after a run, good for about 2 hours. then repeat. At night when you cant go out valium or hard liquor will take the edge off enough to sleep.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:44:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Good luck! I quit six years ago and it was the smartest thing I ever did. It took me three attempts before I was able to get the monkey off my back. Your problem though is you don't sound like you really want to quit.  I have to quit is a lot different than I want to quit, if you don't want to quit, you won't.

I've quit before. For years at times.

I just hadn't planned on quitting right NOW...

So am trying to psych my self up for it.  Before I always set a date, geared up...then did it.

This was kind of sudden. I'm trying to get ready, and I'm not really.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:46:55 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I've quit 3 times in 3 years (every summer). Valium or vodka, and exercise will take your mind off cigarettes. Start with exercise. There is nothing you will want to do less than smoke after a run, good for about 2 hours. then repeat. At night when you cant go out valium or hard liquor will take the edge off enough to sleep.

Hmmm...

Last time I quit, I threw myself into excersize. I biked, and swam everytime I started craving. The bonus, was the patch gives you a buzz when you sweat!

CRAZY dreams too.

I bought patches tonight, and just have to get my head together to finally DO IT!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I have to.

Its hard to make (THIS smoke the last)), without any support.

Don't say that this is the last smoke tonight, When you wake up tomorrow just say I am not going to smoke TODAY. and every time you awaken say the same thing  One Day at a time
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:48:08 PM EDT
[#19]
It sounds like you know what you need to do.

I smoked on and off since 1979, at one point quitting for 3 years, restarting, quitting for another 3 years, and starting again. Each time, I really had no desire to quit.

This last time I had been smoking for a solid 10 years, but when my daughter was born in 2001, I was ready. So, I stuck on the patch and haven't smoked since.

I'm motivated this time and I don't see smoking as part of my life anymore.

When you are ready, you will quit too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:52:44 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know I have to.

Its hard to make (THIS smoke the last)), without any support.

Don't say that this is the last smoke tonight, When you wake up tomorrow just say I am not going to smoke TODAY. and every time you awaken say the same thing  One Day at a time

That is good advice.

Its just that I KNEW the last few times that I was going to quit. I spent time getting mentally ready for it.

Things just worked out strange this week, and I HAVE to now...and I'm really not ready yet.

I'm trying to get psyched up here, to do just that.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:55:48 PM EDT
[#21]
You're welcome
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:57:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I'm motivated this time and I don't see smoking as part of my life anymore.

When you are ready, you will quit too.

I'm trying to get ready.

This was kind of sudden for me.

I was supposed to have a minor surgery on Wed of this week. I was prepped and gowned, and the anestheologist was doing a last minute check, before he set up the IV...and my lungs failed inspection. I went to a pulminary doc yesterday, who prescribed all sorts of "quick cures" to the lung issue, and I sat here today, thinking how stupid it is to be on steriods, and 2 inhalers...when I smoke.

I have to quit. Now.

I know that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sunflower seeds. Get you through the withdrawl, then quit them.

LMAO!!

I was ADDICTED to those things, the second time I quit! Those and sour apple hard candies!

I've got to say though, the getting out of here, and the patch actually made the last quit easier.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 12:20:17 AM EDT
[#24]
Not to sound morbid but what would you rather see?

The looks on your kids faces when you say "I havent had a cigarette in a year!"?

Or

"I have terminal lung cancer"

Said it before and I will say it over and over again... Watching my friend's dad go from a tough 38 year old man to looking like a frail 80 year old man in 9 months was horrifying.

Leaving behind a 15 year old daughter and 13,11, & 9 year old sons was devastating.

Try this next time you wanna smoke... "What is more important to me... my craving or my kids"

Good Luck
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:00:21 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Quitter!

+1
You have to die from something.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Good luck with the quitting.  I had to make some pretty big lifestyle changes when I quit, I had to basically quit drinking, and quit going to bars/clubs for about a year.  I know that may not help you though.  The biggest thing for me was thinking about myself as an ex-smoker not as a "trying to quit" smoker.  I have to be honest, every time I smelled smoke for a year or so I wanted to light one up, bad!  Not too much after that it started to smell nasty though, and now I am the dreaded (to smokers) ex-smoker.  I don't really miss it anymore, except when I get really really bored at work.  
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 1:17:49 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Good luck with the quitting. I had to make some pretty big lifestyle changes when I quit, I had to basically quit drinking, and quit going to bars/clubs for about a year.  I know that may not help you though.  The biggest thing for me was thinking about myself as an ex-smoker not as a "trying to quit" smoker.  I have to be honest, every time I smelled smoke for a year or so I wanted to light one up, bad!  Not too much after that it started to smell nasty though, and now I am the dreaded (to smokers) ex-smoker.  I don't really miss it anymore, except when I get really really bored at work.  

I need to do that, to initally quit.

I just can't be where I've ever smoked before. I'm ok after the initial cravings subside though.

I can be where others are smoking, as long as I've never smoked there before.  Its all mental with me.  I just have to do it, and its hard, when you aren't ready.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:12:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Increase your hydration.  ice cold water helped me.  Havent had a smoke in 13 months.  I wish you luck, but in the end only you can do it.  And you CAN do it, you did it before.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:24:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:13:38 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Some people say that to be successful you need to replace the habit with another one. Good Luck!

That worked when my first wife quit. She replaced smoking with dragging me into the bedroom. It worked for both of us.

YRMV
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:30:29 AM EDT
[#31]
I quit smoking every year after my flying season ends,  but when the spring comes along and I have to get back in my duster I reach for my first smoke of the year,  They seem to lower my stress level while avoiding powerlines and trees at 160 MPH !
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 4:34:48 AM EDT
[#32]
I went through the samething. Quit and then start back again. I quit again about 3 weeks ago. I have a goal. That is the only thing keeping me from lighting up. I want to be in BW Academy shape by late June.

Don't know if you exercise but running/walking everyday is helping me. Plus I do 10 pushups everytime I crave one.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 5:25:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Watching my relatives, including my Mother die from cancer got me to stop smoking. I had a 2-3 packs of Camels or Pall Mall a day habit. I through that SH*T away and quit cold over 25 yrs now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 7:19:34 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quitter!

+1
You have to die from something.

Personally I'd prefer COD to be listed on the coroner's report as "hail of gunfire".  But that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:34:35 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I went through the samething. Quit and then start back again. I quit again about 3 weeks ago. I have a goal. That is the only thing keeping me from lighting up. I want to be in BW Academy shape by late June.

Don't know if you exercise but running/walking everyday is helping me. Plus I do 10 pushups everytime I crave one.

I'm in really good shape. I excercise daily, and have started to the gym, just recently. My arms are KILLING me!!

Last time I quit, I did go out on my bike, or swim when I got the cravings. Sweating gives a great nicotine jolt from the patch, as an addeded benefit.  

Its funny, I started going to the pool late at night, because thats when I craved the most. Now, I'm addicted to late night swimming!

Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:41:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Best of luck Dawn.  When I quit two years ago I started eating (and didn't stop).  I decided that no matter what the end result, I wouldn't start back up.  I gained close to 45 pounds in a few months.

While the weight sucks, I can fight that easier then the nicotine addiction.   I've dropped 20 and the rest is just a matter of time now that I'm exercising more.

Just get rid of the cigs no matter what the outcome!
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Best of luck Dawn.  When I quit two years ago I started eating (and didn't stop).  I decided that no matter what the end result, I wouldn't start back up.  I gained close to 45 pounds in a few months.

While the weight sucks, I can fight that easier then the nicotine addiction.   I've dropped 20 and the rest is just a matter of time now that I'm exercising more.

Just get rid of the cigs no matter what the outcome!

I thought I would gain, last time I quit. I actually maintained my weight, well...OK... I DID add a few, but it was muscle weight. I never went up in actual dress size. But the increased cardio...and only because I wanted that patch buzz, kept me in shape.

I'm setting monday morning, when I wake up, as the time to do this.

Thanks Stealth!

Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I quit around two weeks ago or so.

I started on the patch, then I realized that the reason I keep smoking is the nicotine - and I am trying to break my addiction to it.

So, around day 5 or so, I ripped off the patch and hoped for the best.   The first few days after that were nothing short of sheer hell - people actually bought me smokes and asked me to start smoking again.  how,
I bought loads of carrots and pretzels - been eating them like mad.   I've been taking the dog out for numerous walks - pretty much, anytime I want a smoke I do something physical - anything to keep from sitting around and thinking about smoking.

I think that TheTracker said it best when he said

When you wake up tomorrow just say I am not going to smoke TODAY. and every time you awaken say the same thing One Day at a time

I took that approach this time - it's the best advice I was ever given.

Good luck, you can do it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:33:30 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Some people say that to be successful you need to replace the habit with another one. Good Luck!

Two votes for drinking and jerking off.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:45:23 AM EDT
[#40]
This is going to sound stupid ( but do did that send a brick thing) but I haven't really quit. I just stretch out the cigarettes over a very long time period, like weeks. I bought a pack yesterday, had been out for at least a dew weeks, smoked one, loved it. Won't have another one until I'm way off somewhere or whatever, but it will be at least two or three weeks. When the nicotine attack hits I will not light up. Ever. I will control it. I can't smoke at work ( school teacher), will not smoke at home( mean nasty wife who really loves me), so that means out on the water or in the woods. Won't smoke while hunting cause of scent control, won't smoke when wife is with me on the water, so it really limits the opportunities to do that. I haven't quit, just don't light one up as often.

rk
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:48:05 AM EDT
[#41]
WTF is up with everyone changing their names?
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 7:05:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
WTF is up with everyone changing their names?

I did it, just to piss you off.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 8:49:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm in really good shape. I excercise daily, and have started to the gym, just recently. My arms are KILLING me!!

Last time I quit, I did go out on my bike, or swim when I got the cravings. Sweating gives a great nicotine jolt from the patch, as an addeded benefit.  

Its funny, I started going to the pool late at night, because thats when I craved the most. Now, I'm addicted to late night swimming!

Let me know if you ever want a swim partner.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#44]
Nothing to it but to do it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:20:37 AM EDT
[#45]
I quit after smoking for 8 years /pack a day.

The first 3 days sucked and everything has been gravy since.

Especially my wallet.      
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top