Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2006 1:07:11 AM EDT
my gf works at a high-end hair salon where they get 10% commission. anyways, she has worked there for about 5 days and has made about 1K in sales already and has recieved a bonus. many of the other girls there (and i have met them) are not exactly the most charismatic and personable girls-nice, but not as sales savvy, i guess. so alot of them have worked 1-2 or more months and have maybe just a little more sales-wise, some less. her boss questioned her today about it, saying she was just wondering if she knew about this and that and she was curious about how she sold so much. isnt sales the whole fucking point??? what kind of action should my gf take, since she is so-called being interrogated by her boss
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:10:54 AM EDT
[#1]
The way you describe it, in my mind, I picture a boss who is interested in her sales method.  I dont picture an evil boss.  What exacty happend in the conversation that made her appear to be a bitch with your GF?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:23:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think it's necessarily sales. It's all about how you treat your customers. If you're nice, respectful and willing to do whatever the customer wants/needs for service while in the hair salon that's the name of the game. There are a lot of salons that don't go that extra mile. You walk in, get your hair cut and that's it. The person who cuts your hair doesn't really pay attention to you as a customer, they mainly care about their job itself. Being in that kind of business, you can't do that and expect any kind of satisfaction from customers let alone a decent paycheck out of it.

It's all in a matter of how she feels about herself really. If she's confident about herself, what she does for work and keeps working to a higher level that's half of the battle right there on presentation to the customers. They see you feel good about yourself and it makes them want to know you and talk to you.

IMHO, it may be an idea for your girlfriend to offer her boss a few tips on how she makes the sales or makes her own clients happy. I think that would be the better way to go. Less chance in confrontation and I'm sure she doesn't want that. She'll be happier in the long run going that route; least in my opinion.

Congrats to her on the new job and best of luck with the career!

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:37:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
The way you describe it, in my mind, I picture a boss who is interested in her sales method.  I dont picture an evil boss.  What exacty happend in the conversation that made her appear to be a bitch with your GF?

Sounds to me like your GF's boss is looking into how to get everyone elss to sell that much...
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:48:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 1:58:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:05:43 AM EDT
[#6]
sorry, but i should have made it clearer that her boss was actually kind of making it like an interrogation. what she did was say things like "i notice that your name is on alot of the sales here. do you remember selling this?"(holding up a bottle) and then asking "how did you sell this exactly" and saying things like "well if this girl cut a customers hair you should assume that she made a sale"(that it is not my gf's sale to make, apparently)... seems to me that she was suprised and/or angry about how fast sales were. my gf has no hard feelings towards her-actually she likes her. but this is the first day she worked with this boss and the boss decided to talk to her about it
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:11:21 AM EDT
[#7]
[Freud]
It's called Woo.

She has an inherent strength that makes the customers like her and thus happier when compared to her counterparts.  This combined with her salesmanship gets the extra sales much easier.
[/Freud]

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:58:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Why doesn't she suggest to the boss to observe her and the other girls on the floor for a couple days to see how things work.  That should clear everything up.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Tell your GF to negotiate a sales training position for a bigger slice of the pie. Yes, I did say pie.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:42:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Topless haircuts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#11]
If I were a boss and I had an employee that was performing noticably higher then the rest of the employees I would definately want to talk with them.
Obviously he or she is doing something right, and if I could find out what and implement it across the board then I might have an increase in sales all around.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:52:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:03:29 AM EDT
[#13]
10% commission?  Is that in addition to an hourly wage?  Otherwise, unless women's haircuts are $150 a piece for an hour of work, your wife can't be making enough to put up with any crap from her boss.  You'd have to do at least one $55 haircut an hour just to make minimum wage.

-James
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
10% commission?  Is that in addition to an hourly wage?  Otherwise, unless women's haircuts are $150 a piece for an hour of work, your wife can't be making enough to put up with any crap from her boss.  You'd have to do at least one $55 haircut an hour just to make minimum wage.

-James

I'm not sure how it works there, but a friend of mine owns a salon. They usually rent out the "booth space" for a set amount each week. So booth rent is $500 dollars, everything over that they keep.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Mrs gorilla got her hair "done" not too long ago. I don't see $1K in sales as a very difficult thing to reach.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top