Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 6:11:15 PM EDT
Had a discussion with a friend the other day and he said he does not support the death penalty simply because it is less expensive to give someone life in prison without parole. I called BS but who knows.

So on average which is more expensive for the state/gov?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:12:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I've always heard that the death penalty is more expensive because of the appeals process.  Consumes a lot of money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#2]
It's infinitely more expensive to house and feed some s-bird in a prison.

If they deserve death, then give it to them and save us some money in supporting their worthless butts.

HH
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:16:19 PM EDT
[#3]
If the appeals process was sped up it should be cheaper. We need to work on speeding up the process.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:16:26 PM EDT
[#4]
There's a lot more to it than just spending a bit of money to execute someone, or paying to keep them alive.  Right or wrong, those individuals have the right to appeal their sentence and more than likely will do so, therefore costing even more money.  

However, I still feel that justice can't be decided in $$$.  If they've done something worthy of the death penalty, then give it to them.  That's something I don't mind my tax dollars going to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I've always heard that the death penalty is more expensive because of the appeals process.  Consumes a lot of money.

how much does a round of 30-06 cost?  There's the cost of capital punishment right there.  The expensive part is 20+ years of litigation and appeals designed to keep these shitbags around.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:18:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Lets see…

There’s the liberal death penalty where you lock someone up for 20 years in a private cell with extra guards while high priced lawyers battle it out. Then finally you go to execute the guy and have to use a dozen medical professionals to do the job.

Versus liberal prison where the guy is thrown in with a bunch of other animals and gets to spend the next ten years fighting to see who pitches and who catches that night. Then he’s released so he can go rape another baby to death.

Versus the Thuban death penalty where the guy is given a fair trial. If it’s proven beyond any conceivable doubt that he’s the guilty party, (And despite what you see on TV most murder cases are pretty much cut and dried.) the condemned is taken out into a field and shot in the head.

My way costs less than fifty cents not counting gun cleanings and corpse disposal.

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:19:12 PM EDT
[#7]
I makes me laugh when they bring that up.
They(Liberals) have done everything in thier power to make the death penalty more expensive, then complain about the cost.

Even the execution costs way too much. How much does a bullet cost? Wht do we need gas chambers and electric chairs?

Besides, we don't execute people to save money.
We do it to see justice carried out, but that too is a foreign idea to them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:21:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Lets see…

There’s the liberal death penalty where you lock someone up for 20 years in a private cell with extra guards while high priced lawyers battle it out. Then finally you go to execute the guy and have to use a dozen medical professionals to do the job.

Versus liberal prison where the guy is thrown in with a bunch of other animals and gets to spend the next ten years fighting to see who pitches and who catches that night. Then he’s released so he can go rape another baby to death.

Versus the Thuban death penalty where the guy is given a fair trial. If it’s proven beyond any conceivable doubt that he’s the guilty party, (And despite what you see on TV most murder cases are pretty much cut and dried.) the condemned is taken out into a field and shot in the head.

My way costs less than fifty cents not counting gun cleanings and corpse disposal.

I'm with you on this except that I think there should be at least some opportunity to appeal the decision.  People can and do make mistakes, even judges and juries.  Adding another layer of them reduces the possibility that they fuck up big-time.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:22:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Death AS EXECUTED BY MOST STATES IN THIS COUNTRY is more expensive....

This is because of

(a) the fact that few states actually issue 'natural life' sentances ('life' is 18-25 years)

(b) the appeals process that death-row inmates are given

(c) the number of states who keep inmates on death row for 10-15 years....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:24:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Any one ever consider how much money would be saved if sentence of "Released into victims families Custody" Would save us?

I advocate letting moussaii go.
In the middle of New York City
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:24:17 PM EDT
[#11]
If executions were carried out quickly, they would cost, what, 23 cents? (One bullet).

Instead, we take forever, and run the cost up.

Still, calculate $50K (or whatever it costs) times 30-50 years, and see where we end up.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:24:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Back to the original question: I have heard that is cheaper to jail someone for life than execute them, too.     Not sure where I heard this, so I am not sure if it is correct.   I would like definitive info on this as well.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:25:00 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how much does a round of 30-06 cost?  There's the cost of capital punishment right there.  The expensive part is 20+ years of litigation and appeals designed to keep these shitbags around.

Im sure that if you were wrongly sentenced to death you'd like a couple of appeals. Im a huge supporter of the death penalty but if you're going to kill someone dont you think it best to be absolutely positively sure. There have been enough people sent to regular prison and then the prosecutors go "oops our bad" years later.

Problem is judges who legislate and the lack of clearly worded policies. Pass legislation that states actually have to execute people in a certain time after they are denied any more appeals. Most of it is states that just put people on death row, drop the ball, and just forget about them.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Any one ever consider how much money would be saved if sentence of "Released into victims families Custody" Would save us?

I advocate letting moussaii go.
In the middle of New York City

Ever see the movie Hard Target?  Maybe we could rig something like that up.  Enter 20 or so family members of 9/11 victims into a lottery, arm them with MP5s, M60s, M16s, whatever and let them hunt this fucker down.  He could get as many tries as it takes them to nail him.  
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:26:48 PM EDT
[#15]
The really stupid thing is there are a few criminals who have accepted their sentence and asked for it to be carried out ASAP.

They still have to drag through the whole legal process before they act.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:29:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Had a discussion with a friend the other day and he said he does not support the death penalty simply because it is less expensive to give someone life in prison without parole. I called BS but who knows.

Who cares?  Are we so deep in a money culture in this country that we weigh the bottom line on what is justice?  

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:40:56 PM EDT
[#17]

Are we so deep in a money culture in this country that we weigh the bottom line on what is justice?

People are released from our county jail all the time simply because there is no money to keep them locked up... so justice or not money plays a large role in a persons sentence. Im honestly just courios as to which costs more.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#18]
No death penalty and they would probably be able to appeal their life sentence.  Then we'd drop back to Mexico's standards where 20 years is about it, not matter who or how many you do.

I think I agree they've made the appeal process so lengthy it's expensive but I'm not complaining about the cost, the death penalty was the bargain the criminal made when they murdered, it's not something society just pulls out of their hat.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Let's take a 15-20 year case example in the People's Republic of Kalifornia...

If a gey gets LWOP, then he will probably go general population, in a mid-level prison.  Until he screws up or becomes a he-she.  Then he might need more supervision.  

And at the end of 20 years he will still be alive.

If a guy gets Death, he will go to "condemned row" on San Quentin.  He will be in isolation, and the officer/inmate ratio is much higher ($).  The state will hire him a team of high-priced defense attorneys (NOT public defenders) who specialize in death penalty cases.  The billing department of said team knows that the shitbag is not paying, the taxpayers are.  So the bills reflect the deep pockets of the state treasury.  Multiply that by all of the times the case appears in court (clerks, judges, DAs, police overtime, court operations personnel, etc...).

And at the end of 20 years he will still be alive.

Trust me, I agree with the .30-06 example above, but in reality it costs A LOT MORE for the death penalty than for life without parole.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
In wisconsin there is no death penalty.
This has worked in favor, of those wrongfully convicted like steven avery. Who spent almost 20 years behind bars for a crime he didnt commit.

Well he was found innocent, and let out.
Guess all he thought about for 20 years was getting out and really raping some one. Hes back in jail now waiting trial
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Or this....

you decide....
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:12:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you live in TX, what's the difference, they spend just about the same ammount of time on death row fileing appeals as they do doing life..........hell, they probably die faster on a life sentence because they get shanked.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:29:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Justice isn't about money.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 11:32:30 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Justice isn't about money.

Nailed it.

And also WE SHOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT "Speed up" appeals processes. They are there for a reason: To potentially prevent innocent people from being executed.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

From all that I have read, the death penalty is more expensive., appeals and associated costs included. That being said, cost is not the issue. Justice is the issue. Do the crime, pay the price. This is not complicated. Even your simpleminded friend should be able to grasp some of the concepts.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:13:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I say we use a magazine of .22 short.

I did have clip in place of magazine. What about bullet stick?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:17:29 PM EDT
[#28]
I DONT CARE, SOME PEOPLE NEED TO BE KILLED.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top