Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 11:47:02 AM EDT
www.locktonrisk.com/nrains/armscare.asp

$166 for every $10,000 in coverage seems like a pretty good deal.

It doesn't cover 'replacement value'.  It covers 'cash value'.  How much worse is that really?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

Approaching around $10k worth in my collection.  Been needing to get off my ass and get some coverage for it since my homeowners policy has some ridiculously low default amount in it for firearms.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#2]
tag
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 4:54:19 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread pops up about every six months or so. Seems the ArmsCare is about the best choice out there among the larger insurance companies. Some, such as State Farm, are hugely anti-gun.

About the only other options are to check with an independant insurance agent, one who can write from several different companies, not just a single one.

My .o2
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
That's expensive, I pay under $100 for my rider w/ State Farm and I have coverage 5x that. They didn't ask for serial numbers or photos.
 I don't think SF is anti, per say, I think it depends on your local office.

I know I have had people tell me they were tight with money when filing a claim, but everyone here says they always give them a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:19:09 PM EDT
[#5]
i have it. no complaints here. thank god i haven't had to make any claims.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Read your regular homeowners policy and talk to your regular insurance agent.  My regular homeowners policy fully covered a substantial firearms/militaria collection fire loss.  I had replacement cost coverage...  

Of course, if it had been a theft loss, they woulda only covered the first $1000.00

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
$166 how often? A year?
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Sounds expensive.  When I add up the value of my guns and accessories, I'd need something like $30,000 in coverage.  At $1.66/$100, that is $415 per year.  I guess I need a reference point, so maybe I'll call my Allstate agent tomorrow and find out what it would cost for that amount of coverage.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 6:57:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That's expensive, I pay under $100 for my rider w/ State Farm and I have coverage 5x that. They didn't ask for serial numbers or photos.

I know I have had people tell me they were tight with money when filing a claim, but everyone here says they always give them a bunch.

I asked my State Farm agent about extra coverage and was told I had to provide serial numbers/models.  My agent is a gun guy too.  I think it was slightly over $1.66/1K/year.  If I remember right the NRA approved insurance requires an apprasial on single firearms over $5000.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:00:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I have it.

My yearly premium is a bit over $100. I've never had to make a claim.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:08:47 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a bit of a tangent, but:

I fully understand that insurance is risk management, but if your firearms are in fire rated safe, in a place in the house where it most likely would not be likely to see the fire rated temperatures, do you still believe that insurance is necessary?

Would like your respectful opinions.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I asked my State Farm agent about extra coverage and was told I had to provide serial numbers/models.  My agent is a gun guy too.  I think it was slightly over $1.66/1K/year.  If I remember right the NRA approved insurance requires an apprasial on single firearms over $5000.

If you add an endorsement to your policy you can get $2500 per item, with a $5000 maximum.  You do not have to list the guns for the endorsement.

If you want more coverage, a separate personal articles policy is needed, and serial numbers and individual names/descriptions are required (as they are for cameras, computers, cell phones, etc.)

As was mentioned, the limitation under the basic policy is by loss due to theft.  If your guns are destroyed in a fire they will pay the loss, less deductible, up to the limit of personal property.
Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
This is a bit of a tangent, but:

I fully understand that insurance is risk management, but if your firearms are in fire rated safe, in a place in the house where it most likely would not be likely to see the fire rated temperatures, do you still believe that insurance is necessary?

Would like your respectful opinions.

With a personal articles policy, your guns are insured for virtually all risks.  If you are duck hunting and drop your $1200 shotgun in the lake you can make a claim.

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#14]
If I am coverd by home owner's insurance and have NRA insurance, and am robbed.
Am I covered going to get two checks, each for the full amount?
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:11:04 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I don't think SF is anti, per say,

Yes, they are. They contribute to the 1/2 Dozen Moms & the Brady Bunch. Draw your own conclusions, sir.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:12:11 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Theft is the biggest reason that I would see.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#17]
I have the insurance through the NRA but I have never needed to make a claim so far.(knock on wood)
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 11:54:59 AM EDT
[#18]
Google Collectibles Insurance Agency.  Great company, great prices.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:05:00 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Google Collectibles Insurance Agency.  Great company, great prices.

I agree. I just got insurance for WAY above $10,000.00 for 114.00 a year from them. Chubb Insurance is the underwriter. I did not have to give up any serial numbers either. When I get home I will post the exact link to them.

Bob

ETA: You guys beat me to it. www.historicfirearms.com/

Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:09:14 PM EDT
[#20]
tagged.  I've got a rider on my USAA policy but I think it's expensive for how little it covers.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:09:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:14:14 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If I am coverd by home owner's insurance and have NRA insurance, and am robbed.
Am I covered going to get two checks, each for the full amount?

No.  One will be primary and one would be secondary (if you have two to cover the same thing).  Some people try to do that anc collect for both items, but unless you want to deal with an insurance fraud rap, I wouldn't try it.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, they are. They contribute to the 1/2 Dozen Moms & the Brady Bunch. Draw your own conclusions, sir.

Wow, no shit !
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#24]
I need to start thinking about this soon too.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Tag
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 3:12:01 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Sounds expensive.  When I add up the value of my guns and accessories, I'd need something like $30,000 in coverage.  At $1.66/$100, that is $415 per year.  I guess I need a reference point, so maybe I'll call my Allstate agent tomorrow and find out what it would cost for that amount of coverage.

www.historicfirearms.com/

That's a little less than my yearly premium for significantly greater replacement value coverage. IM me if you want details.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 7:13:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.historicfirearms.com/

That's a little less than my yearly premium for significantly greater replacement value coverage. IM me if you want details.

Thanks.  I just filled out the form on their web site to request a quote.
Link Posted: 4/17/2006 3:18:30 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Where did you get this information?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top