Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 9:44:21 AM EDT
They aren't so mini.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:44:53 AM EDT
[#1]
when you stick it next to a vulcan yes it is
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Compared to other "guns" if you take "gun" to mean artillery, they are.

In military parlance, gun means non-small-arms, like cannons and the like, IIRC.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:38:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
7.62 is "Mini" compared to 20mm or 25mm.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Damn it this would have been badass to the freaking mucho of muchos...

XM214 minigun

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The XM214 was a prototype 5.56 x 45 mm NATO minigun designed to be man-portable and capable of being fired from the hip. It was designed and built by General Electric, but it never reached mass production.

It was a scaled-down version of the M134, firing 5.56 x 45 mm NATO ammunition, the same as the M16 rifle. The XM214 was offered by General Electric as a squad support machine gun (SAW). It was supplied with 1000 rounds in a backpack, known as the GE SixPack. Weighing 85 pounds with a tripod, the system could be carried and fired by a team of two soldiers. The weapon's rate of fire can be adjusted from 1000 rpm all the way to an extremely high 10,000 rpm. [1] If the tripod was exchanged for extra ammunition, and the rate of fire held to a more reasonable 1000-1200 rpm, a disciplined gunner could fire the weapon "Hollywood-style" (standing up) continuously for 1 minute. In practice, recoil proved to be an insuperable problem and the Minimi machine gun proved a far more attractive option. It was acquired as the M249 SAW.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM214_minigun

M249 = Teh Ghey compared to the XM214
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Probably because it is the smallest electrically powered rotary barreled can of whoopass on the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Probably because it is the smallest electrically powered rotary barreled can of whoopass on the shelf.

google micro gun  5.56 minigun.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

XM214 minigun /snip/

would this be the gun that "The Body" used in Predator???
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:49:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

XM214 minigun /snip/

the body used a mostly aluminum prop gun with a power cable run up his leg
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:50:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Because "maxi-gun" seems like a feminine hygiene product.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:52:07 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

XM214 minigun /snip/

the body used a mostly aluminum prop gun with a power cable run up his leg

yeah, I undestand that, but assumed it was based in part, on something real.

might have been an aluminum can, but it was wicked.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Damn this is a moronic conversation here:

www.groupsrv.com/hobby/about207092.html

Quote from discussion:

I think you're talking about the XM-214. I wouldn't exactly call it
hand-held, as it was intended to be mounted to lighter aircraft. You
can find all sorts of info on it if you google "XM 214 minigun", and I
guess the gun itself might be toteable by a human being, weighing in
at 15Kg, but it's an electric gatling gun, which means you'd have to
haul around battery packs too, not to mention ammo. Even with fuel
cells type batteries, it's still be pretty heavy, and at a low end
cyclic rate (to conserve power and ammo) of 1000 rounds per minute,
you'd have to carry around quite a lot of ammo to make it worthwhile.
I've never had to lug thousands of rounds of 5.56NATO ammo, but I
can't imagine it'd be light.

Assuming the recoil doesn't knock you over,

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:54:32 AM EDT
[#13]
it was a real registered M134 7.62 minigun.  Ahnuld used the same one in T2
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What about the one that fat dude used in that movie with the guy from Pitch Black in it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:00:00 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What about the one that fat dude used in that movie with the guy from Pitch Black in it?

oooh, that movie!?!?!

no clue man
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
They aren't so mini.

Cuz they weigh 87 pounds!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:02:15 AM EDT
[#17]
THat movie is A Man Apart  with Vihn Diesel
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:02:52 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

oooh, that movie!?!?!

no clue man

Now I remember, "A Man Apart" witn Vin Diesel...

(Actually I didn't remember, I did a search...)

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:03:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Well when compared to  heavy arty...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:04:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I saw on one of those "extra feature" TV shows a while ago that Arnie was the only person on the set of T2 that could pick it up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:06:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Damn, more moronics here:

Above Top Secret

Quote from discussion:

Out of self loading weapons Blowback or Recoil are the best becouse the firepower has two functions: Half of the power is used to shove the bullet out the barrel and the other half is used for reloading but Blowbacks have a slightly slower rate of fire like the Browning M1919A4 machine gun. In a way slower rate of fire is good becouse you actually make the ammo last longer! especially to those on long operations. The bullet also is more hard hitting then if it came out of a Gas operated weapon.

The rate of fire also depends on the lengh of the cartridge too, thats why SMGs seem to be 'Rapid Fire'. With Gas Operated Weapons, The power is used for three functions: To shove the bullet out, the gas port and to blow the bolt back to reload for the new round. Just think of all this power wasted in a gas operated weapon.

With bolt action rifles/revolvers , the power is used for one point-To shove the bullet out. Thats why bolt action rifles/Revolvers happen to be more powerful and hard hitting then self loading weapons. The less points the firepower has the more harder hitting the bullet will be!

That is why i said on my last post - A hand held minigun in reality would be like a powerful bolt action rifle firing at 6'000 RPM and if you ever came to fire one at the ground, You would literally reach for the sky!!!!!!.

I said that becouse the bolts on a Minigun keeps the round locked in like a bolt action rifle unless the barrels revolve around to empty the chamber, This is done Externally not by the Minigun itself.

For a Self Loading Minigun, Blowback would be the most likeley operation used becouse the firepower only has two functions: To shoot the bullet and to eject the round.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Ain't nothing Mini about this set-up...

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Above Top Secret

Quote from discussion:

Out of self loading weapons Blowback or Recoil are the best becouse the firepower has two functions: Half of the power is used to shove the bullet out the barrel and the other half is used for reloading but Blowbacks have a slightly slower rate of fire like the Browning M1919A4 machine gun. In a way slower rate of fire is good becouse you actually make the ammo last longer! especially to those on long operations. The bullet also is more hard hitting then if it came out of a Gas operated weapon.

The rate of fire also depends on the lengh of the cartridge too, thats why SMGs seem to be 'Rapid Fire'. With Gas Operated Weapons, The power is used for three functions: To shove the bullet out, the gas port and to blow the bolt back to reload for the new round. Just think of all this power wasted in a gas operated weapon.

With bolt action rifles/revolvers , the power is used for one point-To shove the bullet out. Thats why bolt action rifles/Revolvers happen to be more powerful and hard hitting then self loading weapons. The less points the firepower has the more harder hitting the bullet will be!  
That is why i said on my last post - A hand held minigun in reality would be like a powerful bolt action rifle firing at 6'000 RPM and if you ever came to fire one at the ground, You would literally reach for the sky!!!!!!.

I said that becouse the bolts on a Minigun keeps the round locked in like a bolt action rifle unless the barrels revolve around to empty the chamber, This is done Externally not by the Minigun itself.

For a Self Loading Minigun, Blowback would be the most likeley operation used becouse the firepower only has two functions: To shoot the bullet and to eject the round.

fascinating tidbit here
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#24]
A 5.7 x 28 minigun sure would be fun!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:20:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Another quote from the same discussion:

posted on 3-11-2005 at 05:50 AM Post Number: 1780904 (post id: 1805940) - printer friendly

And who , pray tell, is supposed to fire this?? There is a reason they don`t use a minigun in the squad support role - recoil.

Its not like in `predator` or ` terminator 2` , the recoil from even the 5.56mm is massive

It was tried once with an SF unit - all the minigun is useful for is scaring the targets into hitting the dirt as accuracy is non existant - and the weight is enormous

Wow there sure are some bright young minds out there...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:23:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Because the man who has one generally has a small penis

Did I mention id kill for a minigun
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:24:48 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought a .22 lr mini would be fun.

I think using take off barrels from 10-22s would be a good start.

MAke a frame and motor setup

YEEHAW
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:27:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Yet another genius fromt the same place:

quote: Originally posted by The_Camel
Ha .... man portable minigun ?...... yeah OK. The gunner would have to be as big as a WWF wrestler to carry the gun and his ammo. Dream on!!!

Try carrying a GPMG and 1000 rnds of link on a patrol and you'll understand my doubt at a "Man portable" mini gun.

Thanks for the laugh ......

Wouldnt the Miniguns mounted on aircraft slow the plane down when it would be fired?????.

Also some Choppers in the vietnam/gulf war carried Miniguns mounted on the doors, When The Minigun was fired , It must have moved the chopper sideways due to the recoil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:38:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Above Top Secret

Quote from discussion:

AAHHHHH!!!

Enough of the stupid shit, its making my brain hurt.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:48:43 AM EDT
[#30]
What the f*Ck!?
Quote:

ArniesAirsoft Forums > any one know the diameter of a 7.62mm bullet?

Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:56:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I thought a .22 lr mini would be fun.

I think using take off barrels from 10-22s would be a good start.

MAke a frame and motor setup

YEEHAW

A company built one. And it was fireable by one man, standing.

Only info i can find.

.22 minigun
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:01:09 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Ha .... man portable minigun ?...... yeah OK. The gunner would have to be as big as a WWF wrestler to carry the gun and his ammo. Dream on!!!

Try carrying a GPMG and 1000 rnds of link on a patrol and you'll understand my doubt at a "Man portable" mini gun.

Wouldnt the Miniguns mounted on aircraft slow the plane down when it would be fired?????.

Also some Choppers in the vietnam/gulf war carried Miniguns mounted on the doors, When The Minigun was fired , It must have moved the chopper sideways due to the recoil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Hell, I heard they had them on the space shuttle door too.  Was almost enough to push the shuttle out of orbit when they were firing at aliens.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:07:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Hehehe, .17 Mach 2 1919 type thing...

www.funmansion.com/html/Mini-Machine-Gun.html

Not a minigun, but looks fun.

Edited for this:

This place will let you shoot 600 rds through their minigun like this:

steelrain.info/files/phatfile/Minigun_600rnds.mpg

steelrain.info/

Might as well add this too...

Another one of that airsoft minigun:

www.xcalibertactical.com/images/M1341vsCans.mov?PHPSESSID=987c55b8226fa9c4e7b4cbd299e10361/
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:37:18 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Think about what a GAU-8 does to an A-10 when fired.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:39:23 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

google micro gun  5.56 minigun.

Well....Almost the smallest electrically powered rotary barreled can of whoopass on the shelf.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:41:25 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Another quote from the same discussion:

posted on 3-11-2005 at 05:50 AM Post Number: 1780904 (post id: 1805940) - printer friendly

And who , pray tell, is supposed to fire this?? There is a reason they don`t use a minigun in the squad support role - recoil.

Its not like in `predator` or ` terminator 2` , the recoil from even the 5.56mm is massive

It was tried once with an SF unit - all the minigun is useful for is scaring the targets into hitting the dirt as accuracy is non existant - and the weight is enormous

Wow there sure are some bright young minds out there...

Hey! They play counterstrike! Clearly they know about this stuff!!

The "massive" recoil of the 5.56 IS the reason why they don't issue a weapon that weighs half as much as a soldier and that fires 1200 RPM as a SAW! It has nothing to do with the weight or the fact that toting enough ammo to keep the weapon firing for any length of time would require the whole squad to tote massive ammounts of ammo!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Sounds like he is being sarcastic....
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:47:25 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sounds like he is being sarcastic....

Not if you read that guy's other posts...

Do they come up with this crap on their own?

Or do they get it from some source I don't know of...?

Do they even qualify as internet commandos?

So many questions...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top