Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/11/2006 8:01:49 AM EDT
I hear the clock ticking faster and faster with this bit of news....

HH

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iran Claims to Have Successfully Enriched Uranium  
Tuesday, April 11, 2006

TEHRAN, Iran  — Iran has successfully enriched uranium for the first time, a major development in its fuel cycle technology, news agencies quoted former President Hashemi Rafsanjani as saying Tuesday.

Current President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad added that Iran "will soon join the club of countries with nuclear technology."

The U.N. Security Council has demanded that Iran stop all uranium enrichment activity by April 28. Iran has rejected the demand, saying it has a right to develop the process.

The comments by the Iranian officials came as the head of the U.N. nuclear watchdog agency, Mohammed ElBaradei, was due to visit Tehran this week for talks on the nuclear standoff.

Officials with his International Atomic Energy Agency have said he is hoping to win at least partial concessions from Iran. IAEA inspectors are currently in Iran visiting two key facilities.

Rafsanjani's comment, carried by the Kuwait News Agency. was the first disclosure that Iran had successfully enriched uranium since February, when it began research at its enrichment facility in the town of Natanz.

Rafsanjani did not disclose the amount of uranium that Iran had enriched through the facility's 164 centrifuges, but he said it would put the country in a good position for ElBaradei's visit.

"When ElBaradei arrives in Iran, he will face new circumstances," Rafsanjani said, according to KUNA.

"Iran has put into operation the first unit of 164 centrifuges, has injected (uranium) gas and has reached industrial production," the news agency quoted him as saying.

"We should expand the work of these machines to achieve a full industrial line. We need dozens of these units (sets of 164 centrifuges) to achieve a uranium enrichment facility," he said.

Enriching uranium to a low level produces fuel for nuclear reactors. To a higher level, it produces the material for a nuclear bomb.

Iran would require thousands of operating centrifuges to produce enough uranium for either purpose.

In Vienna, IAEA officials declined to comment on the report. A diplomat familiar with Tehran's enrichment program said the report appeared to be accurate. The diplomat spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss information restricted to the agency.

A spokesman for the British Foreign Office recalled that Iran was under Security Council orders to "resume full and sustained suspension of all its enrichment."

"The latest Iranian statement is not particularly helpful," the spokesman said, speaking on condition of anonymity in keeping with government policy.

Ahmadinejad had promised Monday to announce "good nuclear news" soon.

On Monday, Tehran shrugged off reports that the United States is drawing backup plans for military action against Iran over its nuclear activities, saying they were an attempt to scare it into halting its program and warning any attack would bring a "suitable response."

Several American media reports over the weekend said the Bush administration was studying options for military strikes against Iran to stop its nuclear program. The New Yorker magazine raised the possibility of using atomic bombs against Iran's underground nuclear sites.

President Bush said Monday the reports were "wild speculation." He said his vow to prevent Iran from developing nuclear weapons "doesn't mean force necessarily. In this case it means diplomacy."

But the White House was not ruling out a military response and said "normal defense and intelligence planning" was under way.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:02:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:06:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Tapping Israel on the shoulder like that is like throwing pebbles at a grizzly bear.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:06:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Sweet!!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#4]
"Iran has put into operation the first unit of 164 centrifuges, has injected (uranium) gas and has reached industrial production," the news agency quoted him as saying."

And just how in heck are we going to find ALL 164 and take them out?  The number is either very inflated or we've got some problems here.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:12:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Why all the announcements from Iran?  Are they asking for it?  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:16:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
"Iran has put into operation the first unit of 164 centrifuges, has injected (uranium) gas and has reached industrial production," the news agency quoted him as saying."

And just how in heck are we going to find ALL 164 and take them out?  The number is either very inflated or we've got some problems here.

HH

Who needs to find them all if you pave Iran with glass?  Centrifuges require people to operate them you know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:17:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, and they are going to get it very soon if they keep this shit up.
Israel won't tolerate much more of this sabre rattling, and neither will we.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:17:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Things are accelerating.

Gear up folks, and see my sig line. (keep your powder dry)
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

They're just rubbing our noses in it because they don't believe we'll do anything other than yell and scream about them having nukes.  

I feel, however, that either Russia, China or both have quietly given them assurances that they'll join the fray IF SHTF over there.  They're acting like their balls are much bigger than they are, and I wouldn't put it past the other two powers to help them out.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#10]
if this report is true then like I posted last week the intel guys that said annonomously last week that we underestimated their timeline for an operational weapon were indeed correct.  Publicly the timeline has been 2-3 years but insiders that wish to stay unamed say 18 months maybe less..

Maybe they are lying but this is gonna be tough.  They get an operational warhead(s) and test one.  we will not initiate any attack on them at all.  So right now I am thinking we are flying sorties by Christmas..  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey Husker- the 164 centrifuges by design, must be located all with the same facility....Did you not read the article?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:21:27 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They're just rubbing our noses in it because they don't believe we'll do anything other than yell and scream about them having nukes.  

I feel, however, that either Russia, China or both have quietly given them assurances that they'll join the fray IF SHTF over there.  They're acting like their balls are much bigger than they are, and I wouldn't put it past the other two powers to help them out.

HH

I doubt the Chinese would do more than publically disagree with it.  they value our trade too much to get involved.  besides they have a real interest in a stable Iran.  Russia, I figure would only be concerned since it is on their doorstep and historically they liked their little buffer zones..  JMHO
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:22:23 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Hey Husker- the 164 centrifuges by design, must be located all with the same facility....Did you not read the article?

Not all of it...I actually was going by FOX News reports that it was locations.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:22:39 AM EDT
[#14]
oh boy
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Turn on FOX News right now...Iran's getting ready for a huge announcement concerning Uranium.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:27:25 AM EDT
[#16]
And to add..  This changes things drastically as this is exactly what we have been trying to prevent through diplomacy.  Seems as usual diplomacy is failing and/or not strong enough.  You can bet your ass that right now word is in the pipeline to come up with a ready to go air plan to be executed at any time the President gives the word.

We will soon see an ultimatum delivered by POTUS or UN or both..  Time line included.  Watch fleet movements also.  I bet we see CVBG being moved around real soon.

It's coming.  The drums just got a little faster and a little louder....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:31:23 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll play devil's advocate for a minute here, why exactly DO we have the right to tell other countries they can't develop weapons (that we have and develop)?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:33:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I'll play devil's advocate for a minute here, why exactly DO we have the right to tell other countries they can't develop weapons (that we have and develop)?

We do if they say that they are gonna use said weapons to annihilate one of our allies..
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:34:10 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Things are accelerating.

Let's Go Red Wing?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:34:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

They openly said that they were planning to nuke Israel.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:35:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Ah ok.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:37:52 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Things are accelerating.

Let's Go Red Wing?

ALWAYS! the playoffs are right around the corner.

(the OTHER sigline )
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:39:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Israel will put these bums into a permanent stone age. They won't F around and wait for the UN, they'll take action before too long.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#24]
They are also sabre-rattling to drive up oil prices, a mouse fart can cause the oil futures market to have a sleepless night.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:39:34 AM EDT
[#25]
I wonder if the scenario plays out like this:  

Israel pulls the trigger and launches their unprecidented full-out attack on the sites, and the moment Iran retaliates against Israel we begin our air-based and water-based missile attack that makes Israel's initial barrage look like kiddyville.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:40:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Revelations is getting closer and closer.  Ezekiel 38 and 39 clearly talks about Russia attacking Israel.  If Israel attacks Iran (perhaps with bunker busting nukes) and Russia has a secret pact with Iran, then Russia would attack Israel.  Of course, then we would attack Russia because Israel is our ally.  The ultimate SHTF scenario, with nuclear exchanges.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

+1 Why not let the countries involved gear up for once and just sit back. We cannot possibly go around and be the only force to police the whole world. Why doesnt the UK, Australia, antarctica or some other fricken country take the ranes. I know we are the most advanced yada yada yada but sooner or later we are gonna spread to thin and someones gonna see the opportunity and then its game over.....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#28]
they just don't understand the repercussions if they keep it up.

The UN will impose sanctions, and then they will impose sanctions again, then send inspectors to be kicked out of the country, and then the UN will impose sanctions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Revelations is getting closer and closer.  Ezekiel 38 and 39 clearly talks about Russia attacking Israel.  If Israel attacks Iran (perhaps with bunker busting nukes) and Russia has a secret pact with Iran, then Russia would attack Israel.  Of course, then we would attack Russia because Israel is our ally.  The ultimate SHTF scenario, with nuclear exchanges.

Really? can you post what it says? I cant beleive people cant see into this stuff and realize it will be the end of humanity. You would thing it would be easier to work out when there is no gain for either side and everybody dies....
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Well its time for us to play..

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:45:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Scott McClellen just gave a brief statement that says "Iran's moving in the wrong direction...we'll take the next step in our plans..."  This is a brief summary, but clearly GW isn't going to put up with this for long.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:47:23 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Scott McClellen just gave a brief statement that says "Iran's moving in the wrong direction...we'll take the next step in our plans..."  This is a brief summary, but clearly GW isn't going to put up with this for long.

HH

you must have a lot of faith in old w.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They openly said that they were planning to nuke Israel.

interesting times.. iran has threatened israel not us... are we gonna do israel's job?

second... not an historian but.. iran has not attacked us, there is no UN resolution like there was agianst iraq which we used as a basis for GWII, the president supposedly cant go to war without congress declariing it.. so what does bush use as the pretext for attacking iran? will he do so without congressional approval of some sort...

guesses: iran wont do anything but yammer.. and make nuclear material and eventually weapons.. they wont do anything besides perhaps helping terrorists in iraq.. and with a very long pole...

also: how do you assuredly take out all the sites? buried deep? tactical nukes seem the only alternative to assure the destuction other than boots on the ground. is the US gonna us nuclear weapons in a preemptive attack on a country that hasn't attacked us and doesnt have the ability to threaten us like a russia or china?

my opinion is if we attack iran in a preemptive attack assuming no attack on the US, bush will have lost his mind, congress will scream, the world will foam at the mouth, gas may go north of 5 bucks a gallon.

i think we do nothing. israel MAY do something.. at least iran has threatened them.

perhaps we should not have done iraq. iraq was a counter in the region to iran. now there is nothing in the region except a off-the-handle iran and an bunch of scared arabs round them...
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:50:39 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

HH

"We should expand the work of these machines to achieve a full industrial line. We need dozens of these units (sets of 164 centrifuges) to achieve a uranium enrichment facility," he said.

Iran would require thousands of operating centrifuges to produce enough uranium for either purpose.

Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Ezekiel 25:17 also says

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish, and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and goodwill shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger, those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is The Lord, when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

Ok, so maybe it isn't exactly what it says in the bible, but it has so much more effect!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:52:19 AM EDT
[#36]
We have had a longstanding deal with Israel that if they're attacked, we're attacked.  Preemptive strikes have been okayed by this administration.  The GWOT also will be used as one of the reasons for the assault.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#37]
kinda funny that they were commenting on our use of "psychological warfare" just the other day.

methinks they didn't enrich shit.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:53:28 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Really? can you post what it says? I cant beleive people cant see into this stuff and realize it will be the end of humanity. You would thing it would be easier to work out when there is no gain for either side and everybody dies....

Ahmenejad (Iran's president) believes he can bring about Armageddon. There's no higher calling. And no scarier foe than one that welcomes death and wants to take you with him.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well its time for us to play..

images.amazon.com/images/P/B0007Y08IS.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

That was along the lines of what I was trying to say above.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Yes. There are a lot of fence sitters there and the Mullahs need to look justified in their rantings about the US. They intigate us to attack and when we do they wil paint us as the bad guy. Unfortunately as most people in that region go, those who let fear reign over them will often listen to and side with the dumbasses who got them in trouble in the first place.

If we fight Iran, 50% of Iraq will be fighting against us and Iran knows that.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:18:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Naaaaa…., Just a bunch of  Dromedary molesters standing around a box of Uranium tossing in Hundred Dollar bills until they think it has been ‘enriched’ enough.  
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:30:38 AM EDT
[#43]
If we could do it in the 40s with the technology avalable then...  does anybody really think they can't do it with the technology we have today?  Back when the first Bombs were made the most powerful computers were less powerful then most any calculator...

Nuclear weapons will always be a problem and when you have countries and political leaders that love us as much as Iran and Korea the day when nukes get used becomes more and more likely...

So, do we waite for 911 to happen again when a Nuke is set off in downtown DC or do we blast them now and prevent the attack before it happens...

I hate to think of an expanded war but damn given the options what can the world do?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:32:40 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
If we could do it in the 40s with the technology avalable then...  does anybody really think they can't do it with the technology we have today?  Back when the first Bombs were made the most powerful computers were less powerful then most any calculator...

Nuclear weapons will always be a problem and when you have countries and political leaders that love us as much as Iran and Korea the day when nukes get used becomes more and more likely...

So, do we waite for 911 to happen again when a Nuke is set off in downtown DC or do we blast them now and prevent the attack before it happens...

I hate to think of an expanded war but damn given the options what can the world do?

Good post.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:43:46 AM EDT
[#45]

We can't, and Israel can't wait for that.  We have to try and ensure nothing ever happens in our country again.  The lesser of all evils is to take them out as quickly as we can.

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

HH

You cant easily disperse those (since you'd have to bottle the gas and move it from location to location), they'll be located close together, IIRC.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:48:34 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

HH

You cant easily disperse those (since you'd have to bottle the gas and move it from location to location), they'll be located close together, IIRC.

Kharn

Yeah, I was using the figure 164 erroneously.  It still begs the question:  How many sites/locations do they have, and just how the heck are we going to take them all out if we don't know where they are?

HH
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#48]
People keep forgetting (not necessarily here, but sometimes people forget...) Iran is an oil rich nation. They need nuclear power - for any reason - like the proverbial fish needs a bicycle.

Liberals like to take what Iran says at face value. "It's for peaceful purposes". Like nuking Israel is a peaceful purpose.

And yes, I believe an attack on Israel is an attack on the US.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:53:58 AM EDT
[#49]
do not under estimate Iran. I wonder if the IRR will be called back, if so I'll be there!
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:54:43 AM EDT
[#50]
simple we are the coutnry with balls!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top