Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2001 4:16:24 PM EDT
This pic was taken this morning of my 10 year old son shooting his first 1000 yard benchrest match at the Hawk's Ridge range in Ferguson, N.C..  The rifle is a 300 Win Mag on a Rem 700 action pillared in a McMillan stock.  The barrel is a 26" Hart 1 in 10, 1.250".  His old man cobbled it together for him:

[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/Blaine.JPG[/img]

He shot a 'mild' load I had cooked up with 240 Sierras at about 2700 fps, and the thing damn near knocked him off the stool the first couple of times until he figured out how to climb into it.  He managed to get off his five record shots, although the time it took him to regain consciousness between rounds stretched them out to nearly 3 minutes start to finish.  There are only 4 shots in the picture, I'm afraid the 2 oz Jewell and an indelicate finger in the trigger guard during a sighting adjustment dropped the last shot into the 5  ring at 7 o'clock.  Nonetheless, he managed a 42 out of 50 score (for reference, the square sighter card is 4 "):

[img]http://www.drhaddix.com/target.JPG[/img]

Then, to make matters worse, the little beggar got a better score than I did.  I'm scared to take him fishing! [smoke]

the shooter [sniper]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 4:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Well done Shooter!  You should be proud.  I have no doubt that your son will never grow up to be like some of the panzies they call "men" nowadays.  Becoming competent with firearms is a great way to instill a sense of responsibility in a youngster.

Hey, you should submit that pic to the site administrator for the "pic of the week".  Betcha they put it up!

CMOS
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:01:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Cool, He shoot a gun and did well and no one was killed!

Gess my all boys don't need to be pussies.

Find boy,good job.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:10:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:35:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Congratulations to your son on his shooting AND his father.
You must be very proud.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 5:52:23 PM EDT
[#6]
You know, when I first looked at the group, I thought it wasn't so great, you were just happy he was interested in your hobby. Then I looked at the gun and things didn't compute. Then it clicked.

1000 yards!?!

Holy s**t! I don't even think I could get on paper at 1000 yards anymore.

You should be proud!

BTW, my boy (10 y/o also) can almost outshoot me too.
Link Posted: 8/18/2001 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#7]
That is excellent!  You can imagine what these boys are gonna be like when they grow up a bit. Ain't no fuzzy headed teacher gonna tell them that guns should be banned 'cause they're so dangerous! Your kids will know better!

Keep up the good work. They're the folks who are gonna be protecting our rears one day soon.

Eric The(AndWeNeedAllTheProtectionWeCanGet!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:42:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Very nice and thanks for the pics, ShooterX and Frank.
My 6 year old daughter really liked them.

I am very impressed with Shooters son handling that Big 30.
Last time I shot 1, I ruined my new Glasses. [:)]

Good Job Dads'!!!!!!!

Del
Link Posted: 8/19/2001 8:57:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Shooter and Frank,
It is good to know there are still Dad's out there with the desire to spend time nuturing a young mind in the proper direction. As you evidently already know, this takes time, and dedication. Your sons will have time for you when you are old.
Good job!
Jim Hall
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top