Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/10/2006 6:46:24 AM EDT
Women always have to argue with you. Case in point, the woman on my team at work, we'll call her Sophie.

I work in IT, and on the types of systems that I manage there are varying levels of errors. When the system encounters a hardware problem (such as a failed hardware device) or a software glitch it will log an error message. These error messages stay in an error log on the system until they are resolved, at which time they are automagically cleared. OK, now on with the story...

On Friday my boss sent out an e-mail that he titled "mandatory rule". Now, given the title you are automatically going to assume that this is serious and he is going to mean what he says in the e-mail, right? Well, in the e-mail the boss tells us that from now on he doesn't want any upgrades performed on any systems that are showing any errors (no exceptions), and also that he wants to have us check for and report back to him any errors on any systems. Well, I have a system that is due for a firmware upgrade that is showing a couple of minor errors, but errors none the same. So, I reply to my boss' e-mail and copy the people that I am required to copy, one of them being Sophie. Well, when Sophie reads my description of the problem she sends me an e-mail (on her own authority) telling me that the errors I described don't need to worry about them and that I can upgrade the system in question.

Well, as politely as possible (honestly, as politely as possible), I sent her an e-mail back telling her that I realize how minor the errors are, but the boss had told us not to upgrade anything that is showing any errors, and that I'm not going to upgrade anything with any errors. Well Sophie sends off the very perturbed note to the boss asking him whether or not I should perform the upgrade with these errors. What Sophie doesn't take into account is that by the time she gets her clarification I'll have the errors cleared and can proceed with my upgrades.

But you see Sophie is a woman, and that means that Sophie let anything go without opening her big fucking woman mouth and making a big fucking deal out of minutia because she's too fucking stubborned to let someone else be right, especially a man. I'd hate to be this broad's husband.

[Chris Rock]I'm not saying that it's right to slap bitch...but I understand![/Chris Rock]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:50:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I would tell your boss that "mandatory rule" is an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:50:26 AM EDT
[#2]

She undermines the bosses authority?  I bet your boss hates her guts too.

Shok
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:50:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I think women in IT are especially bad.  Such has been my experience anyways.  Not ALL mind you, but there seems to be a trend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:55:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Um, it may well be superfluent but it isn't exactly an oxymoron. Examples of oxymora would be "falsely true", "almost exactly", or "detailed summary".
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:56:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:57:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I've worked with one off and on for over 10 years, but not as closely as recently.

I figured out why it took her so long to find a husband; next time I see him I'm going to check his hearing.  Her voice is a cross between chalk squeaks on the board, seizing bearings, and a jet engine, coupled with a psuedo-intellectual Philadelphia society crowd manner of speech.  She drones on and on, repeating the same thing about 4 times in a voice about twice as loud as necessary for the conversation.

Damn, she's annoying.  Piss poor engineer, too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#7]
This isn't a women problem, it's an @$$hole problem.

@$$holes will always act like this, regardless of gender. I think you're attributing it all to her being a woman.

FWIW I've had men act like jerks to me just like I've had women act like jerks to me. And both have been decent. *shrug*
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:02:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I love women just as much as the next guy, but they always seem to cause problems at work, it gets worse when you have 2 of them working together.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:08:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, it may well be superfluent but it isn't exactly an oxymoron. Examples of oxymora would be "falsely true", "almost exactly", or "detailed summary".

Hey, check out the brain on the new guy!

You're not going to catch me in too many linguistic errors, but that was a good call.

I guess I should have said "redundant"

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:11:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
BAN WOMEN IN THE WORKPLACE, IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!!!

Ban annoying, incompetent, and ugly women in the work place.  Good looks alone is insufficient, or ought to be.

Ban spineless men, too, while we're at this.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:12:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I dislike working with women too. On the whole I've had far better working relationships with guys.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:12:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

+ more than I can count!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Once upon a time back in high school I did a mock petition to "End Women's Suffrage". I had over a hundred signatures by the end of the day. All from women. Of course, this was in the US, so that may explain some things.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:20:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Back in the mid-Eighties, I helped run a real estate office with 57 realtors, about 45 women and 12 men.

I cannot remember ever having any problems with the men, but I can recall having to get involved in ironing out problems, both personal and professional, with about 35 of those 45 womenz.

Petty office politics, thy name is Woman.

Never, ever will I do it again.

Eric The(BurnedChildFearsTheFire)Hun
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:21:22 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I love women just as much as the next guy, but they always seem to cause problems at work, it gets worse when you have 2 of them working together.

I would have to agree, I LOVE WOMAN. But.... in the workplace.... hell no!!!

I work for a company run by woman. The Director is a woman, she is my bosses boss and runs this place like a brownie factory.

She totaly accepts ass kissing and brown nosing, I stay on the shit list because I could care less if a co-worker likes me or not.

We also have a woman who is the manager of the accounting dept. she spends most of her time making rules for the operations dept. SHE IS NOT EVEN IN OPS!!! The "Director" has no problem with her acct manager making her rules for ops.

Then we have a Super who is also female, I do like her and I know she means well but she is a born brown noser. Example: We contract to run ops for another company who actually owns this buisness.

Why did the FORMER CEO of said owning company call here and asked for the Super I mentioned earlier. He told me that she was supposed to be watching his dog for the weekend. WTF!!!

I am not watching your dog bro, pay some teenager to do that! I had to laugh at that though. and I am trying to figure out if I want to say something to her when I see her about watching the dog.

I will admit that woman are not the only brown nosers though, the OPS manager was notorious for cutting the CEO's grass on the weekends, and with a push mower in 100 degree temps.

This place is a mess, sorry for ranting.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:21:42 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
BAN WOMEN IN THE MAN'S WORKPLACE, IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!!!

Fixed it for you.  

I see no reason to ban women from their workplaces. Who would deny a woman access to the kitchen or the laundry room?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:26:25 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I LOVE WOMAN.

So does King Kong.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I like working with women.  The spike heels and cleavage add a nice touch to the atmosphere.  As a bonus, the women in our office are more competent than most of the men.  <shrug>

tag
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:38:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like working with women.  The spike heels and cleavage add a nice touch to the atmosphere.  As a bonus, the women in our office are more competent than most of the men.  <shrug>

tag

Just pony up the $20 or whatever it is!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:41:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Heels?  Haven't seen those in years.  Cleavage?  Never seen that in a business setting.  Ever!

In just what kind of place do you work?z
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:42:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I agree!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:43:34 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Um, it may well be superfluentous but it isn't exactly an oxymoron. Examples of oxymora would be "falsely true", "almost exactly", or "detailed summary".

Mandatory rule is more of an example of repition.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:45:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:47:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

More redundant than an oxymoron.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#26]
The majority of issues in the office I worked in was because women can not work together.

They bitch, moan and argue over the most insignificant things that have nothing to do with the business.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:55:07 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Heels?  Haven't seen those in years.  Cleavage?  Never seen that in a business setting.  Ever!

In just what kind of place do you work?z

3" spikes are back in style of late.  (Thank GAWD!)  

Insurance.

Anything to get some sales, huh?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:57:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Sounds like a Dilbert cartoon. No upgrades if the errors are not fixed? What if the fix for the error requires an upgrade?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 8:58:27 AM EDT
[#29]
All of the women in my office get along fine with eachother and the men.  AFAIK.  

I'll admit though that I deal with problems with male employees directly, but for problems with female employees I delegate!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:09:03 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:20:12 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
The majority of issues in the office I worked in was because women can not work together.

They bitch, moan and argue over the most insignificant things that have nothing to do with the business.

As a women that works with women I can substantiate that claim. I work in a lab dominated by women and sometimes I wonder how it stays in business. It wasn't bad under the previous management but now it has become a sorority. There is more jibberjabbering than work being done. The management likes to spout terms like "teamwork" but the definition of teamwork in my workplace is a clusterfuck of women walking around in a group doing things only one of them need to be doing while neglecting the rest of the work. They complain about how heavy the workload is but when it's slow they gossip and yap and make no effort to catch up on routine things that need to be done while they have the chance. The "team leaders" are as bad as the rest and I think that's the problem. The manager is out of touch with who really does the work and favoritism is the name of the game. She has a few little favorites that she constantly praises for their "leadership" but in fact they do nothing but gossip when nobody is around to watch them. When someone is around she is busy walking back and forth with a serious look on her face BUT NOT REALLY DOING ANY ACTUAL WORK!!!

I am told it's just a coincidence because I work in a female dominated field and I guess that may be true. I'm just tired of all the estrogen, it's enough to make me go straight.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:21:35 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Huge +1

Back-stabbing, gossip, catty remarks.  Shut your mouth and do your job.  If I want drama, I'll go to the theatre.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:34:20 AM EDT
[#33]

It sounds like a incompetent middle management problem more than a woman problem.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:36:57 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Women always have to argue with you. Case in point, the woman on my team at work, we'll call her Sophie.

I work in IT, and on the types of systems that I manage there are varying levels of errors. When the system encounters a hardware problem (such as a failed hardware device) or a software glitch it will log an error message. These error messages stay in an error log on the system until they are resolved, at which time they are automagically cleared. OK, now on with the story...

On Friday my boss sent out an e-mail that he titled "mandatory rule". Now, given the title you are automatically going to assume that this is serious and he is going to mean what he says in the e-mail, right? Well, in the e-mail the boss tells us that from now on he doesn't want any upgrades performed on any systems that are showing any errors (no exceptions), and also that he wants to have us check for and report back to him any errors on any systems. Well, I have a system that is due for a firmware upgrade that is showing a couple of minor errors, but errors none the same. So, I reply to my boss' e-mail and copy the people that I am required to copy, one of them being Sophie. Well, when Sophie reads my description of the problem she sends me an e-mail (on her own authority) telling me that the errors I described don't need to worry about them and that I can upgrade the system in question.

Well, as politely as possible (honestly, as politely as possible), I sent her an e-mail back telling her that I realize how minor the errors are, but the boss had told us not to upgrade anything that is showing any errors, and that I'm not going to upgrade anything with any errors. Well Sophie sends off the very perturbed note to the boss asking him whether or not I should perform the upgrade with these errors. What Sophie doesn't take into account is that by the time she gets her clarification I'll have the errors cleared and can proceed with my upgrades.

But you see Sophie is a woman, and that means that Sophie let anything go without opening her big fucking woman mouth and making a big fucking deal out of minutia because she's too fucking stubborned to let someone else be right, especially a man. I'd hate to be this broad's husband.

[Chris Rock]I'm not saying that it's right to slap bitch...but I understand![/Chris Rock]

1) Remove case cover
2) Scootch feet across carpet for 5 minutes without ground
3) Touch system ram modules
4) Install INI for a NIC that is not in the system
5) Replace normal.dot with one that remaps kbd
6) Put case cover back on
7) Remove user from scheduled backups
8) Return system to user
9) Explain that you "fixed" the errors
10) Schedule vacation

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:38:46 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I dislike working with women too. On the whole I've had far better working relationships with guys.

That's what my sister says too. She'll never work in another office with women. Too much infighting and cliques for her.

It seems that when women dominate a workplace they worry almost as much about their place in the social order as they do about getting their jobs done.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:44:24 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
What Sophie doesn't take into account is that by the time she gets her clarification I'll have the errors cleared and can proceed with my upgrades.

If that was the case, then you should have stated that. That kind of information is useful whether it's a man or woman.  Your audience, cc'ing various people on multiple levels of authority, are not all technically saavy and up-to-date on all systems as you are.
Otherwise, don't play e-mail tag. Talk with the person in a meeting or on the phone or IM.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#37]
Working with women can either be really, really good....or really, really bad.

Not much middle ground in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#38]
I absolutely HATE working with wimminz.  By and large, they are a bunch of scheming, lying, back-stabbing, bitches.  I know...because I work with three...and I asked the missus.  She confirmed my observations.  She said it's just part of female [work environment] life and is a logical follow-on to their cliquish, mean-spirited, bitchy lives as young girls.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:24:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I rest my case...EXACTLY what my missus said.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:28:13 AM EDT
[#40]
My mother hates women. I think that's a woman you can respect!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:36:39 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:
BAN WOMEN IN THE MAN'S WORKPLACE, IT'S THE ONLY WAY!!!!

Fixed it for you.  

I see no reason to ban women from their workplaces. Who would deny a woman access to the kitchen or the laundry room?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:38:51 AM EDT
[#42]
at my last IT job we had a woman that knew VERY little...  she had been with the company for a while and wanted to work in IT... so they let her...

all she did was talk on her phone, eat, and talk shit about other employees.   she did work but seriously, in an 8hr day she did 5 hrs worth of work... put everyone behind... and the boss, my personal friend, couldnt see it...  well now, my temp contract expired, and they hired a new perm guy... and she seems to not like him, hes a good guy and a hard worker. she snitches on him for talkin on to his daughter on the phone, during his breaks...  

this bitch who, does exactly the same thing... except 10 fold... of and no matter when you need help, if shes on the phone with somone, shes "on her break". even if its her 45 minute break, thats supposed to only be 10-15(its 10, but the bosses all say take 15, it was a great place to work)

heh, so i told my buddy if they ever open their eyes and see what shes doing, can her ass and call me again.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#43]
If they're lesbians, it's even more crazy.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#44]
We have one woman engineer in our dept., generally refered to as "useless"
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Insurance.

...and so much becomes clear.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:13:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:19:49 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Insurance.

...and so much becomes clear.

Meaning . . . ?

T-Minus pit in 3.....2.......
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#48]
I must say that the women I work with are all extremely capable people.  That said, you don't get to work here without being extremely capable, so my sample may be biased.

CO
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:40:46 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
I must say that the women I work with are all extremely capable people.  That said, you don't get to work here without being extremely capable, so my sample may be biased.

CO

And there ya go.

This isn't a boy/girl thing, kids. It's a workplace thing. If your workplace is one that cultivates stupidity, then stupidity you shall have.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

CO

And there ya go.

This isn't a boy/girl thing, kids. It's a workplace thing. If your workplace is one that cultivates stupidity, then stupidity you shall have.

You're wrong.
Yeah, there are asshole guys, mostly ones who act like women something all too common these days. However, it has been my experience that GENERALLY women are a PITA to work with. More back stabbing bullshit, whining and bitching then men ever do. And they don't fricking let it go. Ever.
The modern workplace is a far less desirable place to be thanks to women insisting that everything be their way. Or they will sue. Etc, etc.  

Hell, most of the women I have worked with don't like working with women.

All in all though the workplace is now run by the least common denominator and the tail wags the dog. Pretty fucked up. No doubt the biggest headaches I have ever had at any clinics I worked with have been dealing with incompetent, lazy, obnoxious staff whom I told HR not to hire in the first place.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top