Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 1:30:07 PM EDT
Yup, I am going to be a full fledged sailor man.  I just got back from signing up with the Navy at MEPS.  Talk about a boring job.  I would hate to have those people's jobs.  All they do is say the same thing over and over, and then do to same paper work.

Anyway, the process was not that bad.  It does feel very good to be sworn in.  I have the felling of just going on my first date.  Did anyone else have this feeling?  I will able to remember my sign in date easily too.  It is my brother's birthday today.

I signed in as an advanced HT.  I am trying to get a waver to transfer to the nuke program.  As of right now my ship date is 20061206.(12-06-2006 for all the none military)

I would like to thank everyone on this forum for there support and their knowledge that they share.

Speed
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
watch yer cornhole bud
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:34:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Good luck.  Yep, I remember that feeling.  Thanks in advance for your service.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
watch yer cornhole bud

Hey, I know what I and they signed.  If anything that is remotely close to that happens, I WILL report them.  And besides, I like PIE.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:
watch yer cornhole bud

Hey, I know what I and they signed.  If anything that is remotely close to that happens, I WILL report them.  And besides, I like PIE.

well you know what they say about subs, 120 men go down, 60 couples come up
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hull Technician?

You know you'll be dealing with CHT, right?

Congrats, sailor!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Good luck son
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:40:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
watch yer cornhole bud

I that it was 59 couples comes up 1 dude and another one with a broken jaw?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:40:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
watch yer cornhole bud

I that it was 59 couples comes up 1 dude and another one with a broken jaw?

and one arfcommer with crappy math skills
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:43:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Winter at Great Lakes..  

Fucking COLD!  

Wait til they get you out on the grinder.  Learn your General Orders before you go.  Know them cold and to the word.  Keep a low profile.  Dont stand out and you will be just fine.  Remember Boot Camp is a kick in the balls.  You won't be able to do everything they ask.  You will be given conflicting orders all the time.  It is deliberate.  Just never give up..  While USN Boot Camp may not be as physically intensive as the USMC, it is very psychological.  Remember this.  If you cannot make your rack with someone yelling at you, how can you be expected to work in a real world scenario with billion dollar gear?

Good luck, still say you should have gone Airedale but I'm biased!  

Oh, yeah..  Remember, Boot Camp is wear Marines and Sailors are built.  Basic training is for puppies and diaper wearing toddlers!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 1:53:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
watch yer cornhole bud

I thought it was 59 couples comes up along with 1 guy and another guy w/ a broken jaw

and one arfcommer with crappy math skills

been a long day
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Reminds me of that day in May 1968 when I did the same thing. We did not know what rate we would get until most of the way through boot camp. I went to the lakes, but it was summer. I ended up a CT and enjoyed it...mostly. Good luck to you! Enjoy your enlistment. I still email some of my shipmates. John.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:33:48 PM EDT
[#12]
good luck!

Start practicing pushups.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:41:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:04:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
+1 on learning your sentry's orders now.

That was the primary ball buster back in my day ('81)

And another +1 on doing push-ups now. Start at 20 and keep at them until you're doing a few hundred a day.

If your company commander gives you any lip let them you know a retired master chief here ... that ought to get him to lay off you.

Hey Chief, it must have been harder for you. I did not do that many push ups. Mostly we did our laundry by hand and tied it to the clothes lines with small lengths of cord. If we did not do it exactly right we found our laundry in the mud. We also found our racks upside down on the floor etc.  We carried 03 Springfields that were demilled. John
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:38:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll give you a few pointers.

-The longer your RDCs DON"T know your name the better.

-Make friends with the recruit who makes the watch bill.

-The first time they ask for volunteers, don't. It's head detail, aka "The Nasty Nine".

-Like others have said,learn the general orders,sailors creed,etc. before you go.

-Your RDCs will generally be pretty cool, it's the RDCs from other divisions you have to watch out for.

All in all, it's not that bad. If your ship date is the 6th of December, you should graduate the first week of February.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#16]
congrats and good luck!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats.

btw, you should've gone Naval Aviation.  Just my .02.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:14:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Good to go, Man!

Sailors have more fun!
...with each other
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Yup, I am going to be a full fledged sailor man.  I just got back from signing up with the Navy at MEPS.  Talk about a boring job.  I would hate to have those people's jobs.  All they do is say the same thing over and over, and then do to same paper work.

Just wait till you get to your Ship......       Congrats.....It's not just a job it's an adventure
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:13:24 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If your company commander gives you any lip let them you know a retired master chief here ... that ought to get him to lay off you.

You know, my brother-in-law sounded just like that.  When I was on Parris Island, I kept getting mail from his addressed to Sergeant Major gorilla.     That bastard was single-handedly responsible for me doing more pushups than anything else I can think of.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:15:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Winter at Great Lakes..  

Fucking COLD!  

Wait til they get you out on the grinder.  Learn your General Orders before you go.  Know them cold and to the word.  Keep a low profile.  Dont stand out and you will be just fine.  Remember Boot Camp is a kick in the balls.  You won't be able to do everything they ask.  You will be given conflicting orders all the time.  It is deliberate.  Just never give up..  While USN Boot Camp may not be as physically intensive as the USMC, it is very psychological.  Remember this.  If you cannot make your rack with someone yelling at you, how can you be expected to work in a real world scenario with billion dollar gear?

Good luck, still say you should have gone Airedale but I'm biased!  

Oh, yeah..  Remember, Boot Camp is wear Marines and Sailors are built.  Basic training is for puppies and diaper wearing toddlers!

Man for some reason you really brought back some memories with your reply here....Not trying to hijack this thread but I arrived Great lakes Feb. 24 1986 I was 17yo and well...........he'll find out!
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:16:05 PM EDT
[#22]
You're going to freeze your balls off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top