Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 11:19:25 AM EDT
Wisconsin Female Prison Guards Face Sexual Assault Charges

Updated: April 6th, 2006 03:17 PM EDT

Story by channel3000.com

Two former female Oakhill prison guards are being charged with second-dagree sexual assault, even though they say the so-called victim -- a prisoner -- seduced them.

A year and a half ago, Correction's Secretary Matt Frank said he would enforce a "zero tolerance" policy for sexual contact between prison staff and inmates.

That is the background for what is believed to be the first case of its kind in Wisconsin.

On Thursday morning 39-year-old Christine Roberge, a former sergeant and 9-year prison veteran, and 29-year-old Heather Bartosch, who guarded inmates at Oakhill for seven years, will make initial court appearances on the sexual assault charges.

At the time of the alleged incidents last year both women were married -- Bartosch to a Fitchburg police detective.

A letter from the inmate that was found by Roberge's husband initiated the prison probe.

At first, the warden called the Fitchburg Police Department since Oakhill is in that jurisdiction. But Fitchburg couldn't investigate because one suspect was married to a staff member.

So the county investigated and found the inmate seduced the guards at different times into having sexual relations in secluded areas of the prison.

According to the complaint, one guard became concerned when he could not find Roberge, who had left her post. He saw her coming out of a towel room with a prisoner.

The other guard was concerned for his own safety, as well as the safety of other correctional officers because he was unsure of what lengths either of them might go to keep it quiet, WISC-TV reported.

Bartosch said she became smitten with an inmate and even bought him gifts.

"I crossed the line. I knew it. It scared me," she said. "I let myself get comfortable with someone I shouldn't have."

News 3 is not identifying the prisoner since he is a sexual assault victim.

The complaint also alleges that Roberge may have had a physical relationship with a second inmate, and wrote dirty letters to a third.

However, she is charged with just one count of second-degree sexual assault, as is Bartosch, which is a 40-year felony.

A correction's spokesman told News 3 that policies and procedures at Oakhill are now under review.

Mad pimp skilz!

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:21:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Oops.. missed the female part... that's what happens when you read too fast I guess

So let's just leave it at IBN_T
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:22:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I have no idea what to say about this.

But I won't let that keep me from posting.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess it was better than his other options.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:27:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I am reading this with my jaw resting on my desk. WTF?!
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#5]
WTF are women doing working in a male correctional facility???
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:32:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Damn, now they are going to be sexually assaulted when they wind up in the pen
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:33:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Perish the thought that they should be discriminated against.

Back to sensivity training with you.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

In my state they sued to be able to work i all areas of the jails/prisons. Used to be the only females guards were matrons assigned to the female part of the jails/prisons. They argued that harmed their careers becuase they did not have the same oportunities for advancement as male officers.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:35:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Looks like the shit is on the other shoe today.

'Inmate cannot be identified'.   HEHEHE  I love this country.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:36:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Does that line disturb anyone else?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:37:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Does that line disturb anyone else?

It's easy to figure out, he's the one getting all the high fives.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top