NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
  0556 AM CDT FRI APR 07 2006

...OUTBREAK OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS AND TORNADOES EXPECTED OVER
  PARTS OF THE TENNESSEE AND LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEYS THIS AFTERNOON
  AND TONIGHT...

THE NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER IN NORMAN OK IS FORECASTING THE
  DEVELOPMENT OF WIDESPREAD SEVERE STORMS INCLUDING A FEW
  STRONG...LONG-TRACK TORNADOES OVER PARTS OF ALABAMA...MISSISSIPPI
  AND TENNESSEE THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT.

THE AREAS MOST LIKELY TO EXPERIENCE THIS ACTIVITY INCLUDE

NORTHERN ALABAMA
         NORTHERN MISSISSIPPI
         WESTERN AND MIDDLE TENNESSEE

SURROUNDING THE HIGH RISK AREA...THERE IS A MODERATE RISK OF SEVERE
  THUNDERSTORMS FROM THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY NORTHEASTWARD INTO
  OHIO VALLEY AND THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS

AN UPPER STORM SYSTEM OVER THE CENTRAL PLAINS WILL MOVE SEWD TOWARDS
  THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY THROUGH TODAY. IN ADVANCE OF THIS
  SYSTEM...BROAD LOW LEVEL LIFT COMBINED WITH INCREASING LOW LEVEL
  MOISTURE AND INSTABILITY WILL SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT OF SCATTERED
  THUNDERSTORMS FROM THE LOWER MISSISSIPPI VALLEY NORTHEASTWARD INTO
  THE TENNESSEE AND OHIO VALLEYS FROM LATE MORNING INTO THE EVENING.
  STRONG LOW-MID LEVEL WIND FIELDS COMBINED WITH MODERATE INSTABILITY
  WILL SUPPORT THE DEVELOPMENT OF SUPERCELL THUNDERSTORMS CAPABLE OF
  LARGE HAIL/STRONG WINDS AND TORNADOES. EXCEPTIONALLY STRONG LOW
  LEVEL WIND SHEAR OVER PORTIONS OF THE TENNESSEE AND LOWER
  MISSISSIPPI VALLEYS WILL AID IN THE POTENTIAL FOR A FEW LONG-TRACK
  STRONG TORNADOES WITH THE SUPERCELLS THUNDERSTORMS. THE HIGHEST RISK
  OF STRONG LONG-TRACK TORNADOES WILL BE FROM NORTHERN
  MISSISSIPPI/SOUTHWESTERN TENNESSEE EASTWARD THROUGH NORTHERN ALABAMA
  AND MIDDLE TENNESSEE FROM THE AFTERNOON INTO THE EARLY EVENING.

THIS IS POTENTIALLY A VERY DANGEROUS SITUATION. THOSE IN THE
  THREATENED AREA ARE URGED TO REVIEW SEVERE WEATHER SAFETY RULES AND
  TO LISTEN TO RADIO...TELEVISION...AND NOAA WEATHER RADIO FOR
  POSSIBLE WATCHES...WARNINGS...AND STATEMENTS LATER TODAY.

..CROSBIE/HART.. 04/07/2006

Sigh. I am almost getting tired of posting these alerts, as it seems to be an every other day event this Spring. But this one looks particularly dangerous and certainly deserves being mentioned.

Anyone who lives in the risk area today, stay on guard. I hope all of you make it through the day with no damage in your areas.

-CH
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:35:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Got this yesterday from our local EMA contact and CERT trainer.

Kids are home, house is buttoned up, beer is cold and the power is still on (as of 2:34 CST).

Wish us luck.

Merlin (Madison, AL)
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:39:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Our weather people on TV have been orgasmic since last night. Grocery store manager here said it was worse (i.e., BETTER) than any snow alert he has ever seen. I am totally UNPREPARED (only one Pale Ale in the fridge).
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:39:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:45:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Eh I am at work until 2300 so whatever happens happens, should things get rough after I get off well, I have got the bug in supplies ready, and plenty of ice, and lots of cold beer, I am good to go.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:51:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Good luck gentlemen. Not much you can do but stay alert and hope.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 11:55:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Gibson County schools closed at 12 today.

we're under tornado watch until 8pm.

this fucking sucks
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:58:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Go to skywarn.org.

Is the KCR shoot happening yet?
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 1:02:21 PM EDT
[#8]
It is 80 right now. It is suppost to be a high of 54 tomorrow. That usually means storms are coming and they are usually severe (cold front).

Late Afternoon: A 50 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with large hail and damaging winds. Partly cloudy, with a high around 80. West wind around 9 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Tonight: A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Some storms could be severe, with large hail and damaging winds. Partly cloudy, with a low around 38. Breezy, with a north wind 10 to 13 mph increasing to between 18 and 21 mph. Winds could gust as high as 32 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:32:54 PM EDT
[#9]
It's 84  and sunny in Birmingham, and that is bad news. My home was severly damaged in the 04-08-98 F5(they said it could have been a F6 if there were such) nader that hit in the B'ham area. That night gave me a new respect for storms. 32 or 36 people were killed in that one storm. I was on duty at the firestation, went home to check the house, and came back to work. Little did I know, because the power was out, the entire community across the highway from my home, was totally destroyed. The next morning when I came home,  I saw the damage. cliton visited the area, about 200yds from my house. Side note-I had a few friends(Firemen) who met him, they said he shook hands with a limp clammy grip, just as you would expect. I'm on duty today, we have checked the saws, and hydraulic rescue equipment, filled our tanks, and now we're waiting. Tennessee has been hit hard, and we are expected to get hit between 7pm-3am. Looks like a long night. Good luck to everyone, and prayers for all in Tenn.......Treeman ---ETA- the 04-98 storm, was a mile wide at it's widest point, and stayed on the ground for 30+ miles. Debris(computor monitor) was found 20 miles from the high school it came from, and I saw a 5gal pvc paint bucket with pine straw blown through it, no shit. Wild night, and wild next few weeks. They just issued the first TWs for North AL. everyone please pay attention, if you are in the south.....Treeman
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 2:48:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 3:18:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Snow, rain, sleet, sunshine and tornadoes are all possible in the midwest in April.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 4:50:15 PM EDT
[#12]
School let out at 1300 today.

Beautiful afternoon.

Know it's coming but it sure is deceiving.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:32:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Has ayone heard of rain amounts in Tenn? They have got to be flooded, on top of the tornados. I know there have been fatalities, I hope they are minimal. The worst for us won't be until late tonight, which is a bad situation. I'll end up staying awake until all is clear. Mrs. Treeman is smart, but I know she will go to bed, and not worry about it, so I feel obligated to stay up so I can call if somthing is coming.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:45:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 8:50:00 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
we have been hearing about this for 2 days now.  at 9am this morning ALL schools in the area closed for "weather" at 12 or 1pm. it is now 230pm and the sun is shining and not a cloud in the sky here. I have no doubt it's going to get worse tonight but once again the media has blown this out of proprtion to the point of almost shutting down a city while the sun was shining.

Yea, ok, but it got me out of work early.  Other than the bad storms, tornado's, hail and lightning, what's the downside again?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top