Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/4/2006 6:38:47 PM EDT
I want to go there for a vacation just to see what Mexico is like.

Can anyone that has been there give me some advise about the arera?

Wesley
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#1]
you really don't want to go to mexico city

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to the US State Department site and search for Travel Warnings in Mexico. Then read there special section about Mexico City.

I would stay the hell away from Mexico City.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:48:52 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Go to the US State Department site and search for Travel Warnings in Mexico. Then read there special section about Mexico City.

I would stay the hell away from Mexico City.

I don't see thier special section on Mexico City

travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:52:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a great time there.  There are many beautiful women there and the bank guards carry Uzis.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#5]
If you look like a gringo, you will be eaten.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I've been there. It's sort of the Mogadishu of Mexico - It's dirty, overcrowded and dangerous.

I would STRONGLY recommend Monterrey or Guadalajara instead - Both beautiful cities with just as much to see and do as in Mexico City, and you won't get robbed or kidnapped doing it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#7]
... Avoid it all all measures. There are plenty of places in Mexico to visit that are not like east LA.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#8]
go to Guadalajara and stay at the Hotel Fransis.  Oldest hotel in the Americas...  very cool and the elevator will stop just where it wants too...  My dad won't ride it.

It is across the street from the govenors mansion and El Centro square.

Mex City - dangersou, crowed and dirty... Did I mention dangerous.

Also from Guad, you can take the bus to Barra de Navidad on the beach.  This is where Cortez built his ships to go to the Philipines.  Very small and old.  But a way cool place to hang at the beach.  The bus ride is about 4 hours and goes over two moutain ranges.  Still much safer than Mex City.

Stay at one of the beach hotels for under $50 per night.  And Bush senior will be your neighbor on the big hill across the bay.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:10:33 PM EDT
[#9]
As you fly into Mexico City, you look out the window and see a HUGE rising column of dust in the horizon.

What is it?  It's MEXICO CITY!

The pollution is so bad that the autos are color tagged for what days of the week they cannot be driven!

Between the altitude and pollution you'll have a hangover headache your entire trip without even drinking.

And be EXTREMELY careful of the food (water!)

I had a chix sammich at the Hard Rock once and a coke... but forgot to say "NO ICE"...  shitter for 3 days.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:12:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Mexico city is not that bad really just drink the tap water.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:13:59 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mexico city is not that bad really just drink the tap water.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:17:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

you really don't want to go to mexico city

+1

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:17:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I just got done reading about Mexico city on a few different sites. Travel agent bullshitted me and he will have a chapped ass tomorrow morning.

I read up on Guadalajara  a little and it does seem like a nice place. But I was also advise to be careful no matter where I go in Mexico just because i'm white.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I have been there umpteen times, for months on end. I had a blast, but I don't know if I would go there on vacation. Cancun/Cozumel/etc would be a better choice for that.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:18:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Tag for Later.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have been there umpteen times, for months on end. I had a blast, but I don't know if I would go there on vacation. Cancun/Cozumel/etc would be a better choice for that.

+1 There are better places to go in Mexico.  Mexico City is not like Mogadishu, though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:24:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I left my heart in Tenochtitlan
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top