Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 4:42:24 PM EDT
High Cap Mag Legality Question!

I am a legal resident of Powell, Ohio but I go to school in NY; Is it legal for me to buy high caps via the internet and have them sent home to Ohio?

WHY do I ask?
I have a deal that has gone sour right now for 6 new MWG 10/22 mags for $190 and I don’t have my money back!!  I found the deal on GunsAmerica.com from an FFL deal in CA.  (Are CA FFLs even allowed to have high caps and sell high caps? Their citizens are not)  Yes, I did think it sounded to good to be true, but I saw he was listed on GA as an FFL so I figured I was safe.

Now it gets COMPLICATED…
For whatever reason (I don’t know) he wanted to make a deal where I would buy a $190 knife for him and send it to him then he would send me the 6 mags. He said he needed it for a trip he was going on and this way he could kill two birds with one stone.  MORE Complication:… I forgot the high caps were not allowed in NY and gave him my school address to ship to (I was going to sell half of them straight away, otherwise I would have had them shipped home).    I ordered the knife Tuesday March 28th from www.cutlerytogo.com.   After he sees the shipping numbers Thur he says the mags will go out Mon.  I wait till Mon. no contact from him so I email and ask if they sent out, he says he says he forgot and they will go out tomorrow.
Then we are to today Tues the 4th.  He tells me he can’t send me the mags in NY because it is a felony.  I just write back, “no problem send them to my house in Ohio”  Then he emails me back: he will not because he calls it a “straw sale” and says I should feel lucky he didn’t turn me in for a felony; I am an Ohio resident!  He says he already sent the knife back (he just got it today) and I was on my own getting my money back.  
I think this is horse shit and he just wanted to wiggle out of a good deal he probably already sold the mags to someone else.  He is an FFL can I file anything against him?

What should I do here?

Thanks just for taking the time to read this.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:46:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't think there is such thing as a "straw sale" unless the actual firearm is involved.  This guy is probably wanting to CYA, but he should at least be honest about the reason.  There's nothing illegal about you having items sent to your home in Ohio, regardless of where you attend school.  As long as you don't bring anything NY-illegal into NY, what's the problem?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:35:30 PM EDT
[#3]
YOU screwed up.
YOU are to blame.

And once things went bad you should have called him and had a straight up talk rather then more email bullshit.

If you get the knife back then it is a square deal. Chalk it up to experience.

If the knife doesn't turn up then go after him thru GA.

Live and learn.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top