Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 1:16:48 PM EDT
Associated Press
Update 13: C-5 Cargo Plane Crashes at Dover Air Base
By RANDALL CHASE , 04.03.2006, 11:26 AM

A huge military cargo plane developed problems after takeoff and crashed attempting to return to Dover Air Force Base on Monday, breaking apart short of the runway, officials said. All 17 people aboard survived, though several were injured.

The C-5 Galaxy, the military's largest plane, broke in two just behind the cockpit, leaving the cockpit at a right angle to the fuselage. The tail assembly ended up several hundred yards from the plane, and one of the engines was thrown forward by the impact, but there was no evidence of fire.

Fourteen people from the plane were taken to Kent General Hospital in Dover, none with life threatening injuries, officials said. Three others were taken to Christiana Care in Newark, said hospital spokeswoman Sharon Justice.

The C-5 was being flown by a reserve crew from the 512th Airlift Wing, said Capt. John Sheets of the Air Mobility Command at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois.

According to initial reports, the plane had just taken off and had some indications of a problem, said Col. Ellen Haddock, spokeswoman at the Pentagon's Joint Chiefs of Staff. It turned back to land and fell short of the runway, she said. It wasn't immediately clear if the plane was carrying cargo when it went down.

Emergency crews, some in hazardous materials suits, examined the wreckage Monday morning in light rain and under overcast skies.

Lisa Barrentine, who lives near the crash site, said she was in bed when she heard a rumbling.

"You could hear the windows shaking," Barrentine said. She said planes normally fly over her property, which lies at the southern end of the runway between the base and the Atlantic coast.

The C-5 Galaxy, made by Lockheed, is one of the largest aircraft in the world. It was first delivered to the military in 1970. Even with a payload of 263,200 pounds, the latest version can fly non-stop for 2,500 miles at jet speeds, according to Lockheed Martin Corp.

Dover is home to the 436th Airlift Wing, with more than 4,000 active-duty military and civilian employees, and operates the largest and busiest air freight terminal in the Defense Department. The base is also home to the Charles C. Carson Center for Mortuary Affairs, which processes bodies from the nation's wars.

Crashed C-5 was grounded last month for unscheduled fixUpdate 4:00 pm

Powered by Topix.net
By MIKE CHALMERS
Staff reporter

04/03/2006
The C-5 Galaxy aircraft that crashed outside Dover Air Force Base this morning made an unscheduled maintenance visit last month to Robins Air Force Base in Georgia, an Air Force spokesman said.

Capt. John Sheets, spokesman for the Air Mobility Command at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois, said he had no details on the maintenance performed. The $179 million aircraft’s maintenance records have become part of the Air Force’s investigation into the crash, he said.

Scheduled maintenance visits are periodic operations that every plane must undergo, he explained. Technicians essentially break down the plane, repair anything that is broken, upgrade old systems and reassemble the plane.

An unscheduled maintenance visit involves something else. “They had something they had to address,” Sheets said.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Are you kidding?

ETA  Okay.  I tried searching and I could not find the muti page thread on it either.

Search won't let you search for C5.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Are you kidding?

No. Did you bother to look at the pictures?

How about trying GOOGLE NEWS....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:21:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Thankfully there were no deaths.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:22:06 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you kidding?

I ment are you kidding that this happend this morning and could not find the original post for this.

I edited my first post.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Dupe:

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=451663

Dang it, I searched for USAF, C-5, crash and Galaxy, not "C5 goes down Update".

Fucking Civilians, it's a C DASH FIVE ALPHA, AKA C-5A, not a C5.
It's called the GALAXY.
It's owned and operated by the UNITED STATES AIR FORCE, AKA USAF.

You guys need to learn the DOD Military Aircraft Naming Convention Instruction ASAP....

Technicaly my post is not a dupe.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:44:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Are you kidding?

I ment are you kidding that this happend this morning and could not find the original post for this.

I edited my first post.

Sorry, read my rant below.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe:

It's called the GALAXY.

You guys need to learn the DOD Military Aircraft Naming Convention Instruction ASAP....

A agree, even forking morons know it's a C-5A (or B) not "C5".

No wonder search doesn't work worth crap here.

Merlin
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Dupe:

It's called the GALAXY.

A agree, even forking morons know it's a C-5A (or B) not "C5".

No wonder search doesn't work worth crap here.

Merlin

According to one of my emails, it was a C-5B(Tail#40059)
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:32:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

It may be operated by the USAF, but its owned by the taxpayers of the United States.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
It may be operated by the USAF, but its owned by the taxpayers of the United States.

Hmm.. I'll wager the ownership papers say USAF. I'll meet you half-way and say it's owned by the AF in trust for the taxpayers.

NTM
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:34:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

News articles and USAF web site stated it was a C-5A.
You are correct, it was a C-5B, 84-0059.
It went to Dover in Sept of last yeat to undergo the AMP upgrade.
That's a lot of money that was just lost.  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:34:18 PM EDT
[#13]
So this was right after take off, so it was still full of fuel right?

Would your average airliner and its passengers got off so easy if they came down this hard?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

How much?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hmm.. I'll wager the ownership papers say USAF. I'll meet you half-way and say it's owned by the AF in trust for the taxpayers.

NTM

that means that the taxpayers own all the army's M-16's too.  Let's ask to take OUR equipment out for a spin, hell, we can even offer to pick up the tab for the ammo.  I'm willing to bet that OUR army will tell us where to put it.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:39:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#17]
That's a tough plane. We should recycle the pieces as add-on armor for our Humvees. Tough aerospace metal plating.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:54:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Hell, some of the armor kits we make for your HMMWV, HET, HEMTT, PLS and M915A just might have been aboard that plane en route to Balad or Afghanistan! Not to mention the ESAPI plates for your Kevlar vests! I just hope it doesn't cause any hiccup in the supply lines, and I am VERY glad no one was killed!
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:06:41 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How much?

About $4 mil for the upgrade, plus the loss of a $190 mil aircraft that's not made anymore.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:01:38 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

News articles and USAF web site stated it was a C-5A.

Damn, it was an AMP bird?  I just went to Dover last week to look at one of those.  Seriously sweet cockpit compared to the legacy avionics.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Initial reports that I have heard (Could very well be something else) are that they had an engine flameout apparently on takeoff.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Here are some hires pics courtesy of the USAF:

Click for BIG pics.

17 Airmen survive Dover C-5 crash

4/3/2006 - SAN ANTONIO (AFPN) -- The 17 Airmen aboard the C-5 Galaxy that crashed near Dover Air Force Base, Del., today all survived, a 436th Airlift Wing spokesman said.

However, there is still no official word on the condition of the survivors, wing spokesman 1st Lt. Jamal Beck said.

“We’re still gathering information,” he said. As of 11 a.m. EDT, firefighters, medics and security forces were still on the scene.

The huge cargo plane crashed at 6:30 a.m. EDT today. The Airmen on board are members of the 436th Airlift Wing and the Air Force Reserve’s 512th Airlift Wing.

Television news reports of the crash show the aircraft's tail a distance from the main wreckage, where the fuselage and nose are adjacent but separated.

The last C-5 crash was on Aug. 28, 1990, during Operation Desert Shield. A C-5 crashed after takeoff from Ramstein Air Base, Germany, killing 13 of the 17 people on board.

The C-5 is the Air Force’s largest transport and has been in the fleet since 1969. The plane stretches almost the length of a football field and stands as high as a six-story building. The cargo compartment is 121 feet long, 19 feet wide and 13 feet high.

The aircraft has a tremendous airlift capacity. The Berlin Airlift required 308 aircraft of the C-47 vintage, the military equivalent of the DC-3. Seventeen C-5s could have completed the same operation, according to a fact sheet on Dover AFB's Web site.

A board of Air Force officers will convene to investigate the cause of the accident, officials said.

www.af.mil/news/story.asp?storyID=123018520
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:42:34 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted: About $4 mil for the upgrade, plus the loss of a $190 mil aircraft that's not made anymore.
I'd rather spend money on that instead of Social InSecurity.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:13:07 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted: About $4 mil for the upgrade, plus the loss of a $190 mil aircraft that's not made anymore.
I'd rather spend money on that instead of Social InSecurity.

You make no sense.
You would rather destroy aircraft that can't be replaced and that are needed rather than put a few dollars into social security?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:53:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Its a peice of shit airplane.  Im surprised it hasnt happened more often.  Its just a good thing that one one was hurt.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:57:25 PM EDT
[#26]
How many of them suckers are left?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 1:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Its a peice of shit airplane.  Im surprised it hasnt happened more often.  Its just a good thing that one one was hurt.

Just curious, what do you know that lead you to make that kind of statement?

There are other cargo transport planes that have a far worse safety record and can not carry the amount of volume as the C5.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:09:58 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just curious, what do you know that lead you to make that kind of statement?

There are other cargo transport planes that have a far worse safety record and can not carry the amount of volume as the C5.

Im not saying that they dont have a good safety record, they are just always broke.  In all seriousness if you are going across the pond on a C-5, expect to add atleast one week to travel time, because it WILL break down.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top