Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:06:49 AM EDT
I have a tooth that is acting up. If I drink/eat something hot or cold it gives me a quick twinge of pain. I'm also noticing a little pain if I bite down on something hard with that tooth. I am assuming a loose filling or some decay under the filling.

My question is can I do a drilling/re-filling without novacaine/lidocaine? Believe it or not, I hate the numbness from novacaine more than the pain from being drilled. I stress out just thinking about it. So is it possible to sit through a cavity procedure without getting numb? If you've done it, how painful is it?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:10:21 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have a tooth that is acting up. If I drink/eat something hot or cold it gives me a quick twinge of pain. I'm also noticing a little pain if I bite down on something hard with that tooth. I am assuming a loose filling or some decay under the filling.

My question is can I do a drilling/re-filling without novacaine/lidocaine? Believe it or not, I hate the numbness from novacaine more than the pain from being drilled. I stress out just thinking about it. So is it possible to sit through a cavity procedure without getting numb? If you've done it, how painful is it?

You could allways have yourself sedated....
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been going to the dentist for 40 years and the only time I ever had any numbing was when the wisdom teeth were taken out. Do dentists elsewhere really bother to numb you up just for routine drilling?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:11:05 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Sure you can doo eeeet!
Pain? smack yourself on the big toe with a hammer........
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:16:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends how deep the cavity is. You can always give drilling a try, and then get numbed if you can't stand it.

I had something very similar recently. I had a molar that became very sensitive to cold. I thought I must have cracked it and went to the dentist. He told me it was just "root sensitivity" and it might take up to a year to go away.

It got worse and worse. Pretty soon heat, cold and pressure were all very painful. It got to the point where even pushing on it with my tongue hurt and it was keeping me awake at night. I was traveling, and couldn't make an appointment. Right about at the point where I couldn't stand it any longer and was thinking of making an emergency appointment with some other dentist, it suddenly stopped. I'm kind of thinking I must have had an infection under the tooth or something.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:17:35 AM EDT
[#5]

Dentist possible without novacaine?

Have you ever seen 'Marathon Man'  

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:04:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Dentist possible without novacaine?

Have you ever seen 'Marathon Man'  

Is it safe
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:10:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Rodent,
Did anything help with the pain? Advil, Motrin?

Right now I don't have any pain unless I intentionally bring it on with hot/cold on that side. I just ate a buttered roll on that side, with no pain at all. Maybe/hopefully I have the same thing you had and it will leave on it's own.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:27:35 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

The last couple of times I had it done without Novacaine. The dentist thought I was a little bit nuts at first, but I stayed calm and urged him to proceed. It wasn't bad at all. I think the FEAR of pain is worse than the pain itself. I don't fear the pain. We're talking dental drilling and filling here, not open heart surgery.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:32:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Rodent,
Did anything help with the pain? Advil, Motrin?

Right now I don't have any pain unless I intentionally bring it on with hot/cold on that side. I just ate a buttered roll on that side, with no pain at all. Maybe/hopefully I have the same thing you had and it will leave on it's own.

I didn't take anything, but life was not fun for a while.

My pain would come and go, too. I chewed on only one side for several weeks. Every now and then, I'd "test" it, or make a mistake, and sometimes really get a shot. It got worse and worse, then suddenly got much better and was completely gone in about three days.

I think I'd recommend going to the dentist just to get it checked out. You could end up losing a tooth or needing a root canal if it's a progressive problem and you wait too long.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:36:49 AM EDT
[#10]
as a rule I never take novacaine, it will depend how close to the nerve they will have to drill. I only feel the vibration from the drill, a little cool sensation, but no real pain. good luck, bring headphones and listen to some tunes while it's being done.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:40:51 AM EDT
[#11]
I agree. I think I'll keep my "check up" appointment that I made. It's not for another two and a half weeks, but I think that should be ok.

Unless pain gets to a point where I can't stand it or an abcess develops, there's really no reason to move up the appointment right?

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:45:53 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I agree. I think I'll keep my "check up" appointment that I made. It's not for another two and a half weeks, but I think that should be ok.

Unless pain gets to a point where I can't stand it or an abcess develops, there's really no reason to move up the appointment right?

Call the dentist and ask them to move up your appointment if they get an opening.

1. Going in sooner can't hurt and it might help.

2. No sense living in pain if you don't have to.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:03:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Sandman, check into anethetising acupuncture in your AO.  I've heard good things about it from folks allergic to the 'caine drugs.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:06:30 AM EDT
[#14]
It's possible by they might have to tie you down due to some painful spasm reactions
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:08:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Yes, it's possible. I have never had novocaine for any work on my teeth, except an extraction. I never found it to be overly painful, but I guess it depends on your pain threshold and how good your dentist is and that he realizes the differences when treating non-novocaine patients.

The problem you may run into is finding a dentist willing and experienced to treat you without novocaine. I've found that many 'younger' dentists have never worked on a patient without novocaine or some type of anesthetic and have had a few that will refuse to do it. When novocaine is used, they tend to be slightly more agressive in their drilling since they know you can't feel it and they aren't comfortable working when the patient can feel the pain.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Could also be a cracked tooth.

It's certainly possible to tolerate the pain, but you could be tested on your pain tolerance depending on what is wrong. Zap the right nerve in the right way and it will be very unpleasant.

Just make sure you ask one question before you try.

Is it safe?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:33:16 AM EDT
[#17]

The last couple filling I've had done have been without novacaine.  The dentist made sure a new bit was used so it would cut quickly.

When it hit the nerve, it really hurt, but when it was over, it was over.  No additional hours of drooling numbness.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:50:28 AM EDT
[#18]
The masochism forum is that way.------>
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:00:03 AM EDT
[#19]
I saw something on TV once and there is a accupressure point on your earlobe. People were having work done and all they had was a clothespin on the point.
Your results may vary.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:06:32 AM EDT
[#20]
You must want to scream a lot.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:10:29 AM EDT
[#21]

It's certainly possible to tolerate the pain, but you could be tested on your pain tolerance depending on what is wrong. Zap the right nerve in the right way and it will be very unpleasant.

Is it safe?

I'm not sure I understand...what do you mean by "Is it safe?"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:12:56 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Is it safe?

I'm not sure I understand...what do you mean by "Is it safe?"

"Is it safe?"
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:13:59 AM EDT
[#23]
It's not that I want to scream alot. I just really do not like not being able to feel my body. Novacaine freaks me out. I friggin hate it. If the pain is something I can tolerate then at least when it's over it's over. If not than I will have to live with the numbing shit.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:21:24 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Possible?  Yes, but you will probably hate not being numb a hell of a lot more.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:30:21 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:37:39 AM EDT
[#26]
I hate novicane too.  I have my simple work done with out any and the trick I've found is to keep yourself as relaxed and calm as possible.  I listen to music, focus on something in my mind [relaxing] and force my mouth to be relaxed and its not that big of a deal.  

I had a root canel with drugs though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top