Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2006 12:34:39 AM EDT
Best picture?  Really?  Because I just couldn't find the theme in this movie.  It screams propoganda to me.  There were a few good ideas, but overall, what a disappointment.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 12:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a movie about race in America.....by a Canadian white guy.

What did you expect?

Honesty? Unflinching reality?

Puhleaze.

I think Biodome is a more honest film.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:00:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I am starting to think a Michael Moore movie would have had less bias.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:29:18 AM EDT
[#3]
I liked it but I don't think it's worthy of all the hype/praise it's gotten. I just don't get it, can anyone explain?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:06:39 AM EDT
[#4]
I thought it was the most contrived pieces of crap I had ever seen.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:55:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought the DVD before watching it. GAVE the DVD away afterwards. Stupid movie.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 5:59:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I loved the portrayal of basically all white people as arrogant bigoted racists.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
If I wanted to hear about how much we prejudge other people and that we are really just "all the same", and we should accept evy fucking culture untill there is only one.....I would just quit my job and go back to college.

Crash sucked; morons will tell you differently

Speed

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:03:33 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I thought it was the most contrived pieces of crap I had ever seen.  

+1
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I loved the portrayal of basically all white people as arrogant bigoted racists.

Yeah right.  I didn't think that even after seeing that white cop pat that woman down as racist.  They just tried to portray a viewpoint that if you look at it a certain way, any act can be portrayed as racist.  That's what pissed me off.  I could see it if people were acting completely prejudiced towards each other.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:04:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Wow, best picture and nobody wants to talk about it.  I guess I'm the only one that thinks this shit is propoganda.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:12:35 PM EDT
[#11]
wah wah, everything is propoganda unless it's about christians and guns, wah wah.

I thought it was a excellent film as I actually had to live in a big city with diversity for a little bit. It's a strong film about how we sometimes are too quick to judge and resort to quick mental shortcuts of what we expect from people. Sometimes we expect too much or expect too little just by the color of their skin. All you closeted nazi s... have you NEVER been dissapointed by a white person before or something? And when a movie about people being imperfect comes out, you can only point out that "the white guy" was the racist one?

Dumbass, everyone in the fucking movie was portrayed as having "racist" tendencies, and the movie actually hit the problem of "reverse racism" right on the head in regards to the "bad" cop's father losing his business just because he was white.

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:18:23 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
wah wah, everything is propoganda unless it's about christians and guns, wah wah.

I thought it was a excellent film as I actually had to live in a big city with diversity for a little bit. It's a strong film about how we sometimes are too quick to judge and resort to quick mental shortcuts of what we expect from people. Sometimes we expect too much or expect too little just by the color of their skin. All you closeted nazi s... have you NEVER been dissapointed by a white person before or something? And when a movie about people being imperfect comes out, you can only point out that "the white guy" was the racist one?

Dumbass, everyone in the fucking movie was portrayed as having "racist" tendencies, and the movie actually hit the problem of "reverse racism" right on the head in regards to the "bad" cop's father losing his business just because he was white.

No jackass.  I'm not a republican/conservative so your arguement is shit based on your first sentence.

I live in Cook County, Illinois.  The building I work in, is at least 90% black.  What I witnessed is exactly what you state.  Not actual racism, just people perceiving it that way.

I think it did enforce one point that I make commonly....that EVERYONE is obsessed with what color they are, and it proved how foolish that was.

That same white cop when he patted down the woman...not a racist act in my opinion.  Neither was his partner when he shot that idiot that he (rightfully IMO) thought was drawing down on him.

Overall, just a stupid movie made to piss people off and incite rage.  More Hollywood propoganda.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked the scene in the gun shop the best.

A straw purchase a cleary conducted on the part of the daughter.

The daughter purchases blanks for her father's pistol that is presumably going to be used to defend his life some day.  She does it because she just knows that he will use it to kill someone.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:34:24 PM EDT
[#14]
The scenerios were way to contrived and aligned with the planets like.  That being said, it still nicely portrays a cold reality that is very prevalent in the USA, as well as every other populated inch of this earth.  I thought it was pretty good, but Brokeback Mountain should have got best picture.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#15]
It was a fair movie with lots of twists. A lot of the stuff in that movie is stuff that happens every day, but a lot of people don't want to believe or never take the time to notice.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Were you watching "Crash" - perhaps you rented the wrong movie?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No jackass.  I'm not a republican/conservative so your arguement is shit based on your first sentence.

I live in Cook County, Illinois.  The building I work in, is at least 90% black.  What I witnessed is exactly what you state.  Not actual racism, just people perceiving it that way.

I think it did enforce one point that I make commonly....that EVERYONE is obsessed with what color they are, and it proved how foolish that was.

That same white cop when he patted down the woman...not a racist act in my opinion.  Neither was his partner when he shot that idiot that he (rightfully IMO) thought was drawing down on him.

Overall, just a stupid movie made to piss people off and incite rage.  More Hollywood propoganda.

hold on a second, if you basically agree with the premise of the movie: that everyone needs to reevaluate their take on race, then why do you think it's a bad movie? You're making a big jump from agrreing that

"EVERYONE is obsessed with what color they are, and it proved how foolish that was."

to

"just a stupid movie made to piss people off and incite rage.  More Hollywood propoganda."

huh? It's not propoganda if it doesn't tell you you what to do in a nice convinient package ("stop being racist [even though it's impossible]!") and if it's only reflecting on the cold hard truth of our diverse country.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

The daughter purchases blanks for her father's pistol that is presumably going to be used to defend his life some day.  She does it because she just knows that he will use it to kill someone.  

Totally false.  She didn't know what she was buying.  She asked for the ones in the "red box" because she was pissed off and wanted to leave.

The dialog was very good there.

It's not propoganda if it doesn't tell you you what to do in a nice convinient package ("stop being racist [even though it's impossible]!") and if it's only reflecting on the cold hard truth of our diverse country.

It is propoganda IMO because some scenes were specifically filmed to APPEAR racist even though if that was removed, they were clearly not racist events (Prime example, the woman resisting arrest and not complying with the police officer's instructions that should have been tased immediately.  If I were a cop I'd think she was trying to get violent with me as well, otherwise she would have let me pat her down for both of our safety immediately).
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:57:03 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That wasn't about patting the woman down, it was about insulting her husband. The second part, I agree about. He was right to shoot. I don't see how that had to do with race.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 9:58:47 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

I am continuously amazed at how clueless Hollywood types are about the laws for buying guns in their state.  They seem tohave no probelms with calling for more gun control, wothout even knowing what the current gin copntrol consists of.

That being said, why focus on the straw purchase when there was no 4473, no NICS check, and no waiting period or registration of any sort (not sure all what California has to deal with in that regard).

If you ignore that Hollywood BS and enjoy the movie as a character study and interesting take on people's prejudices, it is a pretty good flick.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:01:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Only saw bits and pieces of it.  Wasn't impressed.

BTW:  Your poll sucks.  Don't ask if someone hates the movie in the title then ask if they like it in the poll question.  Leads to bad votes.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:03:38 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That wasn't about patting the woman down, it was about insulting her husband. The second part, I agree about. He was right to shoot. I don't see how that had to do with race.

You might think so.  But she was clearly resisting, and IMO, a threat at that point.  It wasn't about embarassing her husband IMO.  It was about protecting the officer.  It was just filmed in such a way to make it appear inappropriate (although I'll agree, it was questionable, and had she not acted threatening, I'd say it was borderline).

Guy number two would have never been in my car, but if he ended up there, I would have pulled the trigger (and more than once) in that instance.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:19:24 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah right.  I didn't think that even after seeing that white cop pat that woman down as racist.  They just tried to portray a viewpoint that if you look at it a certain way, any act can be portrayed as racist.  That's what pissed me off.  I could see it if people were acting completely prejudiced towards each other.

Yeah, cause remember later in the film that same cop pulled her beautiful ass out of the burning car even though she didn't want him to touch her.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:57:44 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, cause remember later in the film that same cop pulled her beautiful ass out of the burning car even though she didn't want him to touch her.

Yeah, he risked his life and ran into it when it was about to blow up to save her ignorant ass, proving my point.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, cause remember later in the film that same cop pulled her beautiful ass out of the burning car even though she didn't want him to touch her.[/quote

The point of that being that he didn't think of her as a person the first time around, but when he sees her fear and desperation, and her terror at seeing him, he realizes what he did.

Tim, there is a difference between a real frisk and what you saw in the movie. The point is, he was emasculating her husband by doing that to her while the husband was helpless.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:57:53 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Tim, there is a difference between a real frisk and what you saw in the movie.

Yeah, the difference is that she was resisting.  I'd be more persistant about frisking someone who just did that to me as an officer, as well.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:04:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:37:35 AM EDT
[#28]
Everyone at my work talked it up real big but I honestly was not impressed and did not think it was that good a movie. I wouldn't purchase it or even watch it again.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 3:47:27 AM EDT
[#29]
I voted "I'm naked" because I think I've heard of this movie, but I'm pretty sure I have never seen it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#30]
I vote "I'm nakied" too.

Hey, wasn't this fim done before, like a million times.  

What about American History X.  Has anyone seen that film?  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:05:19 AM EDT
[#31]
It was ok but not great.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:20:12 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I watched about 2 minutes of and turned it off.  The two minutes is when the white cops have the black couple pulled over and outside their vehicle and Mat Dillion is frisking the female and if you watch real close he penetrates her with his fingers.  I cannot stand that kind of "keep hate alive propoganda" that Hollywood pumps out and that all liberals love.  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:49:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Sucked, it was boring combined with bad acting.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:24:29 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Totally false.  She didn't know what she was buying.  She asked for the ones in the "red box" because she was pissed off and wanted to leave.

The dialog was very good there.

[

Wrong.  The dialog was very specific regarding the blanks.  The counter guy asked " are you sure you want those?"  underscoring that something wasn't quite right about her choice.
Then, later in the movie when the little girl jumps in front of the 'shot' the audience is supposed to react accordingly.

***spoiler****

The buying of blanks was a setup for the 'attempted' shooting of the latino locksmith.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:44:14 AM EDT
[#35]
It made you an everyone else in this thread think.  It did its job.  Therefore it was a good movie.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 6:59:32 AM EDT
[#36]
I put it right up in my top ten, next to American History X.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:03:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Loved it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:03:50 AM EDT
[#38]
It's one of the worst films we've ever watched...absolutely as pathetic as Jarhead.

HH
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:15:57 AM EDT
[#39]
I really liked it. I enjoyed most how no one was a clear villain or hero.

And I thought it was a pretty realistic example of life in a big city.

I give it four out of five gaseous police officers.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Excellent turn around, you would have thought given the chance he would let her die.
She didn't want him to touch her until that fire touched that ass and then it's was "get me out of here"

The husband redeemed his dignity by offering up his life twice, once to armed car jackers and the second time to the LAPD.

The fall from grace for some and the redemption of others is what i took the movie to mean.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:01:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I liked it.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#42]
yeah, naked too  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:10:56 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

A parent can purchase a wepon for their child, so I imagine the law allows the same in reverse, so it was not an illegal purchase.  I thought the woman's attitude towards guns was moronic though.  To buy him blanks and never bother to see that he knew how to shoot was irresponsible to the extreme degree...

I liked how they showed that the "bad" cop was definitely racist and bitter towards blacks in general, but that he was also a good man in a lot of ways and showed true courage and concern for his fellow man when the situation warranted it.  You know, that even though you might have your issues you can still be a good person at heart.

I thought the racism showed by all the characters was pretty genuine and understandable.  It showed that it is human nature to some extent.  Well the idiot who stalked the latino locksmith and his actions were NOT excusable in the slightest, but what can you expect?  Considering what part of the world the man was from though I imagine racism was an integral part of his character.

Remember in many parts of the world racism is not only tolerated but an ingrained part of the culture.  It didn't mean my comment as a slam on arabs or anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#44]
I liked it, i dont think it was the best movie ever.
But it was entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:21:39 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I watched about 2 minutes of and turned it off.  The two minutes is when the white cops have the black couple pulled over and outside their vehicle and Mat Dillion is frisking the female and if you watch real close he penetrates her with his fingers.  I cannot stand that kind of "keep hate alive propoganda" that Hollywood pumps out and that all liberals love.  

About the only people in the movie who WEREN'T portrayed as racist were whites.  Also, the ONE racist white guy - the cop in question - redeems himself big time.

Honestly, I wonder about some of you people.

If it was "all white's are racist for no reason" propaganda - then why were the carjackers black?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:23:02 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
If I wanted to hear about how much we prejudge other people and that we are really just "all the same", and we should accept evy fucking culture untill there is only one.....I would just quit my job and go back to college.

Crash sucked; morons will tell you differently
Speed

I liked it, thought it was worth watching.   Didn't really draw to much on the racism problems, just thought the story line was interesting and well portrayed.

I guess my opinion makes me a "moron"?

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
I liked it, i dont think it was the best movie ever.
But it was entertaining.

I was entertained. That's all I ask of any movie.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:33:25 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

She didn't know they were blanks... She just got a the red box.  She didn't know anything about guns.

I thought it was one of the better movies I've seen. And I didn't think it wsa about race, it was about good and bad and how in one moment, you're the bad guy but an hour later you're the good guy.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:35:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Yes

No!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 9:36:22 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

For once, we agree.
I thought it was a pretty good flick.
The part with the two black guys complaining about racism, and how it is unfair to be portrayed as criminals, then in the next breath robbing a white couple?
It was a good movie.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top