Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 5:32:26 PM EDT
I decided to plant a vegetable garden this year, got sidelined by illness and other things but I finally have plants in the ground.

Since I live on rock, there is very little soil.  I collected all the reasonably straight juniper dead wood and nailed these branches into my planters.  Raised beds, about 6 by 12 feet, 18 inches deep.  Juniper is hard stuff so I predrilled before driving 16d nails into the joints. Nothing fancy, just stagger lapped corners.   I lined these "cribs" with oak leaves, then filled with layers of soil, sand, leaf mold and fresh leaves.  

I had the plants started and it was high time to plant.  I dug 8" holes, all the way down and filled them with humus, spiked with fertilizer.  THe recent rains had compeletly soaked the layers, decomposing the oak leaves slowly.  Excellent.

Now I have to keep the deer at bay.  I am luring them away with corn but will eventually have the fence built.  4 strands of 16 AWG aluminum at 8" on center, then 2 more at 24" spacing.  Electrified with a regular fence charger.  This should keep the raccoons and deer at bay.  The RWS 48 will keep the squirrels and rabbits under control.

I planted Roma and cherry tomatoes, bell and jap peppers, parsley, basil, oregano and lavender along with bush beans and okra.  I am BEAT, enjoying my second double strength hard lemonade...vodka is killing the pain.

Now it can rain. but not hail.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:40:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Did somebody say tomato's? I'm starting mine next week...nothing but tomato's and cucumbers.
My first gardening experience here in New Mexico. Good luck, and enjoy!

PS. It's only rained like twice here in the last 4 months, and it was more of a shower, than a rain.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:10:03 PM EDT
[#2]
You gonna eat all that stuff?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
I could be compelled to start a garden, who knows if Ill get off my arse and do something.

Electric fence is fun.  Shocking animals is a source of excellent enterainment.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:18:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I was with you right up to the point where you mentioned okra

Post pics when stuff starts growing!!  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:21:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Just shows that the dern Dutch don't know squat about good eating.

You need a big bowl of chicken, sausage, and okra gumbo.  It's what we will eat in Heaven.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:24:00 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Did somebody say tomato's? I'm starting mine next week...nothing but tomato's and cucumbers.
My first gardening experience here in New Mexico. Good luck, and enjoy!

PS. It's only rained like twice here in the last 4 months, and it was more of a shower, than a rain.

You might look into the crystals that hold water (like they use in those bandanas that you soak in water).  You can buy them in bulk and mix them into the soil to increase your water holding capacity.  Also use a soaker hose to help cut evaporation.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:28:40 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You need a big bowl of chicken, sausage, and okra gumbo.  It's what we will eat in Heaven.

Ooo... about time for Fried Okra and Pickled Okra.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:32:09 PM EDT
[#8]

A garden is never really finished.  

Nice job. I'm envious.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ooo... about time for Fried Okra and Pickled Okra.

I HATE that Okra bitch!

She's always yappin' it up about somthin' or other on her damn show!

Sorry.....Had to.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 8:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a simple calculation of volumes...I moved about 18 yards of soil and mulch.  No wonder I am sore, all by hand.

I'll get pictures of the produce.  The GF is jazzed 'cause I got some oregano and lavender.  Looks like I'lll get pie despite what vegetables make.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top