Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 11:53:37 AM EDT
Over the last year, I have been dedicated to the gym three days a week. Over that time, I've been concentrating on adding muscle mass. My normal routine is the following (mixed up three exercises per muscle group, two muscle groups a day three times a week):

Shoulders: arnold press, military press, clean and press, shrugs
Back: deadlifts, rows, hyperextensions, reverse fly
Legs: leg press, calf extensions, squat, lunges, forward/reverse leg extentions
Chest: bench press, inclines, declines, flys, cable press
Triceps: skull crushers, various rope pulldown, various dips
Biceps: preacher culls, standing culls (21's), hammer curls, cable curls

What these exercises have done over the last six months is basically double my strength across the board (from 90lb benches to 170, from 300lb leg presses to 600). However, I really want to start concentrating on golf muscles now that the season is starting. I know that shoulder and back exercises should help, but in the above list, what am I missing that will really help my game? Is there anything I should cut back on?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:54:29 AM EDT
[#1]
So tagged
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 11:55:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I am a big believer that all athletic strength comes from the "core."  Focus on quads (squats), back and lats, and abs.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:04:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I am a big believer that all athletic strength comes from the "core."  Focus on quads (squats), back and lats, and abs.

Yeah, I agree. Did you notice the lack of abs on my lists. They have been neglected because I have an overwhelming fear of hernia (long story). I need to start back up.

I hit a pretty long ball for a little dude (270yd drives @ 5'5"), but I also have to swing out of my shoes to get that distance. This means that when my timing gets screwed up, I'm all over the course with my drives. I'd love to be able to produce as much clubhead speed while being in control.

I'm headed out to the range now to hit a large bucket (first of the year). I'll see what hurts tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:18:29 PM EDT
[#4]
If you notice, most good golfers are not builted like football players.  The important thing is to focus on the muscles you use in golf, in the way that you use them in a round.  Use heavy training clubs that are 5lbs and work on swinging it. I also use the curling machine at the gym but use it in a way that simulates a golf swing.  Do not discount being flexible either.  Being able to turn and create distance between the club and your body is what produces club head speed.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 12:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Stretch a lot, heavy muscle mass is not the friend of a golfer.  I would do multiple reps of light to medium weight  to get good muscle tone over building mass.  Mass won't help most people becaue it makes them tight and kills the golf swing.  Having toned muscles and flexible body will do everything you want.  

Bill3508
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top