Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 6:00:52 AM EDT
Hey guys,

I figured with all the hunters and outdoor people here, someone might be able to explain the unusual behavior of a rabbit outside my mother's house here in Maryland.  My father noticed a rabbit about 3 days ago lying / sitting under a bush behind the house - the bush is about 3 feet from the back wall of the house next to the large back deck.  He first noticed it about 9 AM, and when he came back at noon, it was still there.

I went out on the deck a few hours later, and the rabbit jumped up and ran about 10 feet away (looked normal and healthy), but about 30 minutes later, it was back under the bush again, but this time lying on its side.  An hour or so later it was sitting upright again (by sitting, I mean upright on all fours with its stomach on the ground, not sitting up on its hind legs).

I'm not sure if it was there yesterday, but it's back again today, in the same place and same position.  It seems to sit there and do absolutely nothing - I haven't seen it clean itself or eat or anything.

I would have thought maybe it was pregnant, but although there's a bit of a depression where it's been sitting, there's very little cover - the bush has no leaves on it yet after the winter, so it's certainly not hiding the rabbit, although it might be blocking some of the wind.

Is this rabbit diseased?  Injured?  My mother keeps worrying about it being rabid - I'd just like to put her mind at ease, or take action if we should get rid of the thing.  Thanks!

Dave
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Might have a nest under there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe it has a nest close by.  At my little farm the rabbits tend to hang around in a couple of spots.  If the rabbit has no cover where it is sitting then I would be inclined to think that it might be sick or stakeing out the cats food bowl, if it is real hungry or lame and unable to make it in the woods.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Might have a nest under there.

Yep, it's that time of year.  Many times they will just dig a small hole in the grass and leave the kits in there.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:40:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe it's the Easter Bunny. Check for colored eggs the next time he leaves.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:56:52 AM EDT
[#5]
"Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!"

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:02:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Use the Holy handgrenade
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 7:02:49 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
"Look, that rabbit's got a vicious streak a mile wide! It's a killer!"

home.comcast.net/~bfd750/HolyGrail174.jpg

"Bring out the holy hand grenade"  

GM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top